PDA

View Full Version : Some Help with ED

Mike Wyza
May 25th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I am trying to create a simple document in ED as a proof of concept. How do I go about creating text, saving, etc? I cannot find a competent manual online. Thanks.

Chuck(G)
May 25th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Does this help any? (http://www.cpm.z80.de/manuals/archive/cpm22htm/ch2.htm)

Those of us who started with CP/M in the old days didn't have any more than this.

leeb
May 25th, 2013, 02:35 PM
... and some of us were lazy and started with WordStar... :p

I could never keep my cool long enough to make ED work properly...
and
the editor that came with the SpeedProgramming package for Pascal MT+ was almost as bad.
:D

Chuck(G)
May 25th, 2013, 03:38 PM
You can do some very cool things with ED that you can't with WordStar. Sort of a poor-man's sed.

leeb
May 25th, 2013, 05:33 PM
** Curiosity Mode Enabled **

Chuck(G)
May 25th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Have a look at the J and M commands--and note that you can make cr-lf pairs part of a search or substitution command--that can come in pretty handy.

RickNel
May 25th, 2013, 11:37 PM
I could never get my head around using ED for anything but the barest bootstrap source code editing. Not really designed for anything that is going to end up a printed document. I thought of it as the jack in the toolkit that you hoped you'd never have to use.

Rick

geoff133
May 30th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Documentation of ED is here : http://www.cpm.z80.de/randyfiles/DRI/ED.pdf

I still use it when I program with assembly language with CP/M, even if I use full screen text editors too. ED and DDT (SID) are very useful for short programs.

Hope it helps.

TX_Dj
May 30th, 2013, 05:49 PM
And here I thought this was going to be about a cheap source for a little blue pill...

ED... if I hadn't been so young at the time, I think the hair I lost from using ED never would have grown back.

Then, one day like leeb points out, I realized WS would do "Non-Document" files. To this day, I still fire up WS if I need to edit something in CP/M.

leeb
May 30th, 2013, 06:17 PM
... and if Im coding something THAT small (and not in PAIN) I go to DDT...
(PAIN is the assembler I wrote to use the PROLOG company's mnemonic coding/format... and it WAS :p )

geoff133
May 31st, 2013, 04:45 AM
Mike Wyza,

I use ED everyday, so if there is something you don't understand, you can ask to me.

For my 8080 assembly programming, it is perfect. (I also use a full screen text editor, it depends of the work I do)

It is very interesting to be able to use this kind of old tool. My english is not very good, sorry, but I am glad to help.

frcc
June 6th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I am trying to create a simple document in ED as a proof of concept. How do I go about creating text, saving, etc? I cannot find a competent manual online. Thanks.

if u run a BSD system u can at the promt$ type man ed ,,,,u will get the manual page. Using OpenBSD u can also get a tutorial on Ed
i used Ed in the 80's to write many many batch files on mainframes, as it was the only "line editor available"