PDA

View Full Version : Best thickness for a copper shim?

DOS lives on!!
May 31st, 2013, 06:05 AM
I'm adding a copper shim in between the GPU and (cheaply) aluminum plate heatsink on my HP Pavilion dv2312 because the thing runs too dang hot. I've found that people have used both 1.5mm and 2mm thick shims for this, and I was wondering if any one thickness is better suited for this.

DOS lives on!!
June 3rd, 2013, 06:25 AM
Went ahead and used a 2mm shim on it, and put some Arctic Silver 5 paste on both sides.
The laptop used to run rediciously hot, but it now doesn't get above 75 degrees!:eek:

Stone
June 3rd, 2013, 06:56 AM
The laptop used to run rediciously hot, but it now doesn't get above 75 degrees!:eek:I guess that depends on whether by 75 degrees you mean C or F. :-)

ASSEMblergames
June 3rd, 2013, 07:17 AM
I'm adding a copper shim in between the GPU and (cheaply) aluminum plate heatsink on my HP Pavilion dv2312 because the thing runs too dang hot. I've found that people have used both 1.5mm and 2mm thick shims for this, and I was wondering if any one thickness is better suited for this.

I bought one off ebay (shim) the laptop is going to die anyway, it has notorious chipset bga ball fracturing problems.

DOS lives on!!
June 3rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
It's already died once, due to the solder work becoming fractured and not making connections on the GPU. HP fixed it for free when the recall was made a few years ago, but I don't tjink that's still going on. The same thing is the problem with a dv6000 I've got. I think a handheld torch is needed to evenly melt the solder joints back into place.

Laptop now runs near 75 degrees (F). If it ran like that in Celsius, I'd repurpose it as a E-Z snow remover.