PDA

View Full Version : Serial mouse work on P3, but not on P1 board?

RaptorZX3
June 1st, 2013, 06:30 PM
I was able to finally find a PS/2 that work with a Serial adapter (old Microsoft Intellimouse with a ball inside, white, 2 buttons + wheel), PS/2 and Serial compatible). I tested it with the adapter on my Pentium 3, it work (though the pointer is slower and not as accurate as a USB mouse). But then i tried with the Serial bracket on my Pentium 1 board (AOpen AP5VM) and it doesn't work, i tried installing the driver but it doesn't do anything, though the serial/com ports (headers) are enabled and seem to work.

Do you think a Serial port(s) PCI card would do the trick to make the mouse work? Maybe the damn serial ports pinouts of both headers are messed up on this board?

i'll get a USB 1.1 card soon (made for older PCs like this one), but it wouldn't work for DOS games i think, so this is why i would need a solution to make this serial mouse work.

RWallmow
June 2nd, 2013, 06:57 AM
I was able to finally find a PS/2 that work with a Serial adapter (old Microsoft Intellimouse with a ball inside, white, 2 buttons + wheel), PS/2 and Serial compatible). I tested it with the adapter on my Pentium 3, it work (though the pointer is slower and not as accurate as a USB mouse). But then i tried with the Serial bracket on my Pentium 1 board (AOpen AP5VM) and it doesn't work, i tried installing the driver but it doesn't do anything, though the serial/com ports (headers) are enabled and seem to work.

Do you think a Serial port(s) PCI card would do the trick to make the mouse work? Maybe the damn serial ports pinouts of both headers are messed up on this board?

i'll get a USB 1.1 card soon (made for older PCs like this one), but it wouldn't work for DOS games i think, so this is why i would need a solution to make this serial mouse work.

If the drivers are loaded properly, and since we know the mouse works elsewhere, and it's not working here, it's pretty likely that it got to be a problem with the serial port, either wrong header pinout for that board (there are a few different pinouts for serial headers, though by Pentium era they were USUALLY standardized) OR the port settings are incorrect, COM1 should be IRQ4/3F8, and this will be the first place a serial mouse driver will look for a mouse, also be sure you don't have something conflicting.