PDA

View Full Version : Dave Dunfields Imagedisk

Chromedome45
June 7th, 2013, 04:24 AM
I have tried using Dave's image disk on several different computers and every time I try to write an image the computer locks up! This has happened on a Pentium III using an adapted 1542 scsi controller using floppy port only, IBM 50z and a Pentium 1 that won't even run the program. I need to get this running to create some images. Or is there another program that will do the same thing.

Getting very frustrated and angry about this not working!!! Had this problem before and the only computer that would run it was a Tandy 1000 TX!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::conf used:

Stone
June 7th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Try Rawrite.

kb2syd
June 7th, 2013, 05:52 AM
I have used ImageDisk on multiple computers and floppy controllers and it has never locked up. In fact my main imaging machine is a PIII PICMG SBC using a 1542 plugged into the backplane and it works fine.

Make a new copy on a known good disk from a new download from Dave's site and see if it behaves any better. Have you sent an email to dave about the problems? He may have some insight.

I don't think rawwrite will work with IMD images, but I could be wrong.

Chromedome45
June 7th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Well I was trying to write 8" IMD images onto a 5.25 HD floppy for testing. But this happened before. 2 years ago I wanted to make floppies for my Tandy 2000. The only computer that would write the images was a Tandy 1000TX. No other computer would do it. And I contacted him at the time and he didn't have a clue as to why it wouldn't work. Plus his site is constantly down. then up then down again.

I am using version 1.18 his latest. What version are you using KB2?

And like you I have a 1542 in my Pentium III machine. And it fails too!

So have no idea what to do.

glitch
June 7th, 2013, 06:50 AM
I haven't had problems with it, I too use an Adaptec card (1522A iirc), up til recently in a Pentium III 550 MHz machine. I downloaded ImageDisk from his site a year or two ago, so it's probably not the latest version.

Chromedome45
June 7th, 2013, 07:05 AM
I guess it's just me. Everyone else it works for. But not for me!

I am using a ASUS p2b-ds with a single Pentium III 600 cpu. Adaptec 1542 only using the Floppy controller. I disabled the config.sys and autoexec.bat
still no go. I'll try and find an older version then.

Oh and it is straight DOS 5.0 no windows

Are there any image convertors so I can change the IMD over to say DSK.

In my opinion this program sucks!

Stone
June 7th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Are there any image convertors so I can change the IMD over to say DSK.

In my opinion this program sucks!Why are you beating your head against the wall? Since you are trying to create a disk image why don't you just use another program like one that will create an IMG file?

TX_Dj
June 7th, 2013, 08:12 AM
And the obvious question - you are running it in DOS, right? Not on a windows machine?

What are the results of the floppy test? It will give you information about what you can read/write, modes, etc. As always, make sure your drive is configured right in the bios, etc.

You also have to be sure your transfer rates are right - you can't write 360KB floppies with a 1.2MB drive with your DSDD data rate set to 250K, for example.

It's not as easy to use as say, teledisk, and it does have a bit of a learning curve, but once I got used to it I have zero problems anymore.

Chromedome45
June 7th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Floppy test report all ok even single density. That's on a 360k DS/DD disk. No pure DOS. Ok could you enlighten me about the learning curve?
When I select write form the menu it says to insert disk and press enter. Well I do that and LOCK UP. Every time!

Oh I know about the data rates on HD disks. Needs to be at 500kb AFAIK

Chuck(G)
June 7th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I've used it on a Win98SE (booted to DOS) and it's fine.

Did you disable the controller on the motherboard correctly (assuming that you're using the one on the 1542)? Have you tried it running from the motherboard FDC and disabling the 1542 controller?

I've used it on several systems, but my usual is an old Amptron 8600 P1 board. Onboard FDC disabled and using a CC IV as the primary.

There is a utility in Dave's distro that will convert an IMD to a raw binary image.

Chromedome45
June 7th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Well I see a bin2imd but no imd2bin in the 1.18 distro. The thing is when I go to write it doesn't even access the floppy. It immediately hangs! No disk activity light whatsoever. But it does format the drive and testfdc reports all is well in both single density and double. On a 1.44 and a 360k drive.

Yes motherboard FDC is disabled.

tried onboard FDC same thing.

Stone: this id the only software I know of that will write these images. Yes I am beating my head against the wall.

Stone
June 7th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Stone: this id the only software I know of that will write these images. Yes I am beating my head against the wall.I use diskcopy.com to generate .IMG files which can be recreated with either diskcopy.com or rawrite.exe.

Chuck(G)
June 7th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Try IMDU with the /B option to get a raw binary of the IMD file.

Let's see what else might be wrong. You are running IMD from the hard drive, right? I haven't tried running it from a floppy, but I could see where there might be problems.

Is it just this file that's created problems, or have you tried using others? (Wondering if the file structure might be corrupt)

Have you tried creating an .IMD file on this system by reading a fioppy using IMD?

Chuck(G)
June 7th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I use diskcopy.com to generate .IMG files which can be recreated with either diskcopy.com or rawrite.exe.

Stone--rawrite and diskcopy will work only with "standard" (e.g. 512 byte sector MFM-encoding) disks. My suspicion is that since these images are from 8" floppies that it's not the case here.

Stone
June 7th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Stone--rawrite and diskcopy will work only with "standard" (e.g. 512 byte sector MFM-encoding) disks. My suspicion is that since these images are from 8" floppies that it's not the case here.Now I see a can of worms... Frank is trying to write an image from an 8" disk to a 5" disk. That, itself, presents a whole new set of variables/problems, doesn't it?

Chuck(G)
June 7th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Now I see a can of worms... Frank is trying to write an image from an 8" disk to a 5" disk. That, itself, presents a whole new set of variables/problems, doesn't it?

Not as much as one would think. There's very little difference between a 5.25" high-density floppy and an 8" soft-sectored floppy. The same can be said of 1.23MB "Japanese" floppies--all spin at 360 RPM and support the same 500K data rate.

kb2syd
June 7th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Now I see a can of worms... Frank is trying to write an image from an 8" disk to a 5" disk. That, itself, presents a whole new set of variables/problems, doesn't it?

Not really. I do it quite regularly. As long as the geometry and encoding is possible with the FDC you're using.

I still say get a new copy to make sure the one you downloaded wasn't damaged in some way. Try the 1.18 and the 1.17 versions.

Try it with the most basic system, running MS-DOS 6.22 (there is a bootable disk image on dave's site for that). It might be something with DOS 5 even. Never liked that version myself. If DOS 3.3 can't do it I go right to 6.22. ImageDisk runs fine from Floppy too. It is quite small and just loads into memory.

Chromedome45
June 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Chuck: Ok tried the IMDU /b option on one of my Tandy 2000 disks took the .BIN file it created and ran Rawrite on a 720k 3.5" floppy and it worked. Yes I am running from a Hard drive not floppies. Also many different images not jut one in particular. No did not try to create an IMD image.

ALL: There is a site where an individual replaced the 1 8" floppy in a Model II with 2 5.25HD floppy drives and created the disk images on 5.25HD disks and they worked. That's what I am trying to do here. To see if it could be done.

kb2syd: Tried with DOS 6.22 no go and when I tried booting with DOS 3.3 I swapped disks and put in the Imagedisk program and got the drive not ready error reading and hung there.

Tried 1.17 and 1.18 same results.

I tried to do the IMDU /B on one of the 8" files CPM22.IMD and didn't want to work. cursor flying by the screen finally stopping with "EOF in comments"

Tried TDOS12.IMD and it did seem to work. So seems to be hit or miss. Hmmm

Frank S
June 7th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I am working successfull with Dave Dunfield's IMD programs on an Compaq ProLinea 386/66 with MS-DOS 6.22 on 8" floppy's (26x128Byte/SS/SD).
Also it is possible to get the 8" images to an 360RPM 5 1/4" drive.
Loading he programs from the hard disk is no problem.
With 1522 and 1542 controllers i have no success.

Frank

MikeS
June 7th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I guess it's just me. Everyone else it works for. But not for me!

In my opinion this program sucks!Yeah, must be the program that sucks... ;-)

FWIW, it's always worked for me and I use it mostly for 8" images on 5 1/4 HD diskettes; I'm grateful for what I think is an extremely useful set of tools.

Chromedome45
June 7th, 2013, 01:13 PM
See my last post. Before this one. Some success.

Chuck(G)
June 7th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I've used 3.5" DSHD drives on my Model 16 successfully. Just a few jumpers and a newer design FDC board--was fairly straightforward. The nice thing is that a 3.5" drive requires only 5V for power supply.

Chromedome45
June 7th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Some pictures for every bodies amusement. To see what I am doing. Maybe some pointers as to what I am doing wrong! This is trying to create a TRS-DOS 6.0 disk for my model 4. 1st PIC select drive tracks etc. 2nd Pic pick filename. 3rd Pic press enter. 4th pic Locks up tighter than a drum guys!
CTL-ALT-DEL won't even work. Need to press reset to reboot.

Chuck(G)
June 7th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I don't know if it matters, but an 8" floppy has 77 cylinders.

Chromedome45
June 7th, 2013, 01:54 PM
This trying to create a TRS-80 Model IV 6.0 disk. Not an 8" was trying to test it out. Thought I would post pictures of what I was doing. Maybe someone could spot an error on my part.

TRS-DOS 6.0 is single sided double density 40 tracks.

Chuck(G)
June 7th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Okay, for some reason, I thought you were working with a Model 2/12.

It's okay--nowadays, I get confused easily. What's the format of a track on one of these? (bytes per sector/sector)? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Chromedome45
June 7th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Okay, for some reason, I thought you were working with a Model 2/12.

It's okay--nowadays, I get confused easily. What's the format of a track on one of these? (bytes per sector/sector)? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Yeah Chuck I know that feeling! I was originally but was wanting to test something else out. Like a 180KB image using SS/DD format. And it did not work as well as seen in the pics.

I tried running IMD on a 1GHz PIII no success, Pentium 1 with a VIA MVP chipset wouldn't even start IMD and my Compaq portable as well also no go.
So I have tried all my computers with no success at all.

Only thing that worked so far was your suggestion on using IMDU /B and then only partially.

The TRS-80 Bytes per sector I think is 256 but no sure.

Chromedome45
June 8th, 2013, 07:50 AM
OK to all those peeps that have it working could you provide a hardware listing of the system you are running it on. Ok Need Computer type and if it is a commercial system built system with CPU and CPU speed, Ram amount, are you using the integrated floppy controller or an external floppy card. If a homebrew system what motherboard ETC and all pertinent info as listed above. This would help me out a lot.

In a pervious post I mentioned I tried on several systems with no luck. So any info appreciated.

Chuck(G)
June 8th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'm willing to test your file on a number of systems--can you point me to the image file that you're using?

Chromedome45
June 8th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I would but his site is down again. Well in so much as you can't download anything right now. Look for TRS-80 Model II TRS-DOS & CP/M
Also try TRS-80 Model 4 system disks. These should be 180k SS/DD.
Here: http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img54306/system.htm

Compgeke
June 8th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Just curious, have you tried writing a different image, such as a plain DOS boot disk to see if that works?

Chuck(G)
June 8th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Well, I know I've done the Model II floppies (the 8" ones) before successfully. I'll try the Model 4 floppy when I get back from some errands.

Just so I don't get confused, the drive you're using to write this is a 360K drive right? (e.g. Teac FD55BR)

Chromedome45
June 8th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Just curious, have you tried writing a different image, such as a plain DOS boot disk to see if that works?

Problem is site is down. In as far as obtaining disk images. But if you mean something like rawrite on a .bin files works fine. But that doesn't use the IMD program.

Chuck: Yes right now a 360k drive is installed. Last couple of hours I pulled the Slot-1 PIII-600 Motherboard out and installed a Pentium 1 with a 233MHz using the Intel TX chipset. On internal floppy controller lock up also same when using AHA-1542 floppy port. Thing is I can run diagnostics, Format a floppy everything except reading and writing. When trying to write a disk the activity lite doesn't even come on. Just immediately freezes. So that make 6 systems now it fails on.

Be darned if I know what's wrong. But I'll bet it's something simple hopefully.;)

SomeGuy
June 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM
So that make 6 systems now it fails on.
Failures on that many systems suggests some kind of software problem. What version of DOS are you using? Is there anything odd in your autoexec.bat or config.sys? have you tried a "clean" boot from a verified good disk? Is your copy of ImageDisk corrupt? Have you checked to see if perhaps you inadvertently have dug up an old DOS virus?

Chromedome45
June 8th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Well I downloaded both Imagedisk 1.17 & 1.18 both exhibit the same problem. Using DOS 5 and renamed the Autoexec.bat and config.sys so they will not be loaded. Still no go. Also tried booting clean booting DOS 6.22 and running IMD. Same results every time.

And as I mentioned at the beginning the same thing happened 2 years ago when trying to create Tandy 2000 disks! And had more computers then to try and test with!!! Only one computer would work and that was a Tandy 1000! Well that system is long gone. And besides if I still had it can't DS/HD format.

I posted Pics so check them out. You will see what is not happening! Like not working for read/write.

tezza
June 8th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Hmm...strange. I've used Imagedisk for my Kaypro and Epson QX 10 floppies on a 360k drive and it works just fine. I couldn't tell you what my system is. I'd have to take it apart for that but it's a Pentium II Windows 98 machine that I've configured to boot straight to DOS.

For Model IV floppies I used Dave Keil's emulator as discussed here (http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2011-12-27-disk-from-images-trs80.htm).

Tez

Chromedome45
June 8th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Hi Tez, I use David Kiels for Real TRS-80 disks. I was just trying to test IMD on a smaller image. And I run it under pure dos.

tezza
June 8th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Hi Tez, I use David Kiels for Real TRS-80 disks. I was just trying to test IMD on a smaller image. And I run it under pure dos.

Oh I see. You want to write an image. I should have read the thread more carefully. I seem to remember successfully imaging some disks at some stage with this program but I can't remember which system. One of the CP/M ones I have I think. I don't think it was the Model IV.

Tez

tezza
June 8th, 2013, 04:45 PM
By "write an image", you want to create an image from a real floppy right? Ive just re-read the whole thread and I'm still a little confused as to whether the problem is with creating images from real disks or writing images back onto real disks?

Tez

Chromedome45
June 8th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Writing images to actual floppies. And as I mentioned it locks up every time I try to write and image or even try to create and image. I don't even need a floppy disk in the drive. I pick write, Press enter and LOCK UP!!! No disk lite ever comes on.

I wish there were another program that could do this. Write .IMD's this software does not work for me at all.

Chuck(G)
June 8th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Okay, Frank--I've taken some time out. Here's what I did.

I created a 3.5" HD boot diskette with DOS 6.22 and HIMEM.SYS, RAMDRIVE.SYS and a subdirectory called "TEST". In the TEST subdirectory, I placed IMD.COM (1.17), along with IMD.HLP and the two Model 4 image files. My CONFiG.SYS looks like this:

FILES 30
BUFFERS 8
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=RAMDRIVE.SYS 2048 /E

...and an empty AUTOEXEC.BAT file, so I'm not prompted for the date and time.

I boot from that disk, COPY from TEST to whatever letter RAMDRIVE assigns, then change to that letter and run IMD. If I had 5.25" drive on a system, I used it as the target; otherwise I used a 3.5" 720K floppy as target. In all cases, single-step was off, except when a 1.2M drive was used (in that case, I also set 250K->300K). In every case, I was able to write either image to a floppy. Here are the systems I tested:

DFI 386/40 motherboard
ASUS P5A AMD K6 450
Supermicro dual P3 750MHz P6DGE
Amptron 8600 (Cyrix PR300+ Socket 7)
ABit IS7-E P4 Socket 478, 3.0 GHz
ASUS A7N266-VM (AMD Barton 2.1GHz)
Intel AN430HX P1-233MHz

All worked; about the only thing in common was that they all used VGA displays and PS/2-interface keyboards.

I've got lots more systems--all I have to do is hook them up. Note that I used a RAMdrive, so the hard disk controller wouldn't matter.

Chromedome45
June 8th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Hi Chuck, Ok did every thing you said in creating the boot disk etc. changed from USB KBD to PS/2 as well. Still no go! I'm cursed I think

Chuck(G)
June 8th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Well, which disk do you most need? I may have a solution.

MikeS
June 8th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I grabbed the first system I found with 3.5" and 5.25" HD drives (1.6G/512MB HP/Acer P4), created Dave's boot disk, ran IMD and made 1.2MB HD disks from the two 8" disk images (TDOS20B and TDOSCALC) that you sent me off-list; as expected, no issues whatsoever. I can't test them, but I did make images from them with no problems, so I assume they're OK.

IMD did complain about missing data on the third image, but that might be the way I set it up and the fact that I'm using an HD drive; in any case, no lock-ups.

Frank, I understand your frustration but since these tools work for pretty well everyone else there must be something about your particular hardware or the way you're using them. Dave has spent a lot of time and effort creating and adapting this suite, making it available to the rest of us at no charge, and even supporting it when necessary, and to say that it "sucks" just because you can't get it to work for some reason is doing Dave a great disservice.

I suggest you make a clean boot disk from Dave's most excellent diskette image and boot from that, instead of fooling around with who knows what (D)OS, drivers, autoexec/config.sys etc.

Chuck(G)
June 8th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Mike, I think he did--see my post #41 and Frank's response. It's about the simplest thing you could imagine--boot from floppy, run from RAMdisk.

Frank, two additional questions--what's the same about the systems that you've tried this on? Additionally, have you tried re-downloading IMD 1.17?

I suspect that I can even get the thing to work on an XT clone I have here.

MikeS
June 8th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Mike, I think he did--see my post #41 and Frank's response. It's about the simplest thing you could imagine--boot from floppy, run from RAMdisk.What I meant was the ready-to-go image (BOOTIMD.ZIP) on Dave's site; it contains the IMD programs (1.18 ) as well as various other tools, CD/USB/NTFS drivers etc. as well as the XDISK program to create the disk itself; it provides a standard RAMdisk environment without having to fool with variables like files/buffers, config/autoexec, drivers etc.

Chuck(G)
June 8th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Wouldn't that be a problem if Frank's already having issues writing floppies? Maybe not.

But his problem is not likely related to his run environment. I'm wondering if he uses the same AHA1542CF controller on all his setups. If he does, that's a suspect right there.

MikeS
June 8th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Wouldn't that be a problem if Frank's already having issues writing floppies? Maybe not.

But his problem is not likely related to his run environment. I'm wondering if he uses the same AHA1542CF controller on all his setups. If he does, that's a suspect right there.Well, it's a 3.5" disk and his problems seem to be related to the 5.25" drive; if he has trouble making the IMD disk itself with XDISK that might tell us something useful anyway. If we all use exactly the same environment and the same images and only he has a problem then it would sure seem to be a hardware issue, especially if it locks up all his computers...

But yeah, if he moves the controller every time that might explain it; why not just use the standard on-board FDC?

Chuck(G)
June 8th, 2013, 11:14 PM
That (bad drive) one would be easy to confirm--just extract the troublesome file to a 3.5" DS2D floppy. I've tried it using his problem files and it works just fine.

Chromedome45
June 9th, 2013, 03:09 AM
OK guys, Hardware wise on all systems nothing in common. I have tried to use onboard floppy no go. I have tried both 3.5 and 5.25 inch disks also no go.
Tested both drives using testfdc.com all tests single density, double density on 5.25 drive pass. Same on 3.5 drive single and double density pass except the /128 sector test on the 3.5. I will try that boot disk MikeS mentions.

Chromedome45
June 9th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Ok finally success! Used Dunfields bootdisk that MikeS recommended and it seems to be finally working. Just wonder why it does work? Well never look a gift horse in the mouth as a they say. But it seems to be running PC-DOS 7.1 vs. MS-DOS 6.22. Seems like it shouldn't make a difference to me. Thanks to all who helped. Especially Chuck and MikeS & Tezza. And yes saying the program sucks was just frustration on my part and I apologies to the author.

Chuck(G)
June 9th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Frank, congratulations. But please bear with me--my curiosity won't let me drop this one yet.

On that disk you made after my example (not with XDISK) that refused to work, can you image that up and either post or email me a copy of the image? I'm really wondering what's strange about your setup such that it doesn't work on a number of systems.

I've got to find out what's going on for my own sanity.

SomeGuy
June 9th, 2013, 07:41 AM
It certainly shouldn't make a difference. I still have a hunch about this being a virus though. If you access the fresh new PC-DOS 7.1 disk, un-write protected, from your existing MS-DOS 6.22 install and it magically stops working, then you have likely uncovered a DOS virus. A virus trying to read or write to a boot sector or file wile IMD is running and the controller is in a modified state would be very likely to cause a lock-up similar to yours.

Since the fresh PC-DOS 7.1 disk works, you might also want to try downloading a fresh MS-DOS 6.22 boot disk from a reliable source, keep it write protected, and see if that also works. If it does, then "SYS"-ing your other media from the fresh disk and running FDISK /MBR on any hard drives might fix the problem.

Or it could be the laundry detergent. Who knows.

Edit: Yes, post an image of the disk first if possible.

MikeS
June 9th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Excellent! Glad we finally got that sorted out.

Like Chuck, I'm very curious about what the issue was; I don't think it's the DOS version but yeah, a virus is a possibility...

And FWIW I've expressed my frustration considerably more forcefully and politically incorrect at times like that ;-)

Chromedome45
June 9th, 2013, 11:14 AM
It's odd that at 1st I had DOS 5.0 on the C: drive and it wouldn't write. Then upgraded to DOS 6.22 and again same thing. I did try booting Dave's disk that was created and changed over to the directory where the Images are kept. Ran IMD from there and lock up as usual. So my thinking is it is not a DOS issue. Something else is going on here.

Now when I boot Dave's disk and change settings to no double step and then attempt a W)rite I use the images directory on the C: drive and it successfully writes the image. Also if I copy an .IMD image to the RAM disk that is created and run from there it also writes.
This is using the A: drive. I also created the TRS-80 Model 4 disk on the DSDD B: drive with success.

So what is the issue? I do not know. Hopefully this explanation isn't too confusing.

I'll ZIP up that image a little later.

SpidersWeb
June 9th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I'm thinking virus as well. My guess would be that it has infected your executable files.
This would be resistant to a DOS upgrade and would explain why IMD works off a fresh disk, but not the copy on the hard drive.

Check if the IMD file on your HD is identical to the original still.

I did a youtube video last week using ImageDisk 1.18 and MS DOS 6.22 - no dramas.

Chromedome45
June 9th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Ok so why does IMD format and erase files on disks without any problems? And why did the disk I created as suggested by Chuck not work?

Chuck(G)
June 9th, 2013, 02:08 PM
IMD is going directly to your hardware with port I/O, DMA and IRQ--nothing to get in the way. However, if it's accessing files, it uses DOS.

Maybe that's a clue.

Chromedome45
June 9th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Ok for the curious I scanned my Dos 6.22 upgrade images and no viruses found. I went ahead an created new disks from those images.
I then proceeded to copy the contents of my C: drive to my D: drive. I reformatted the C: drive and re-installed MS-DOS 6.22. I then copied back
only my image files and IMD back to the C: drive along with my TRS-80 emulators. And only copied the CD-ROM drivers from the DOS directory on the D: drive and wiped the D: clean (Formatted). So I now have a clean C: drive and guess what? Went to the IMD directory set the setting correctly for the disk image I was planning to use and LOCK-UP! just like before. So I think we can pretty much eliminate the Virus idea.

tezza
June 9th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Frank,

I know you've tested the 5.25 drive and it seems ok, but have you tried substituting it with another? Could it be some weirdness with the drive itself? You might have covered this in the thread somewhere, but I'm having a little trouble following it all.

Tez

RickNel
June 9th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Whenever I have had problems with IMD, it has always turned out to be either a BIOS limitation, a BIOS setting or a resource conflict. In your case, I would guess possibly a resource conflict between FDD and HDD drivers - perhaps DMA? It shouldn't happen on default settings, but might happen if there are any tweaks to BIOS or DOS configuration that IMD does not recognise.

Rick

Chuck(G)
June 9th, 2013, 11:14 PM
I've had a look at the boot diskette that Frank made after the one I suggested. There are issues--I wonder if his COMMAND.COM is correct or infected. IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS match. When I replace the COMMAND.COM, IMD still hangs as Frank mentions. I haven't gone much farther than that, other than wondering if something's been corrupted inadvertently.

I sent him an image of the boot disk that I use (DOS 6.22 also), so he can compare and contrast.

Chromedome45
June 10th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Chucks boot disk he sent me works. And yes there is a size difference in the COMMAND.COM. just wondering what may be causing it? very odd.

SomeGuy
June 10th, 2013, 05:11 AM
The disks image you sent me (md622imd) seems to check out mostly ok. The boot sector seems normal, the IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM, HIMEM.SYS, and RAMDRIVE.SYS match what I have on a set of 6.22 setup disks.

There is one odd thing, however. There is a copy of Drvspace.bin that seems to be from a beta version of Windows 95 (3/2/95?). Try deleting that and see if that makes a difference.

Chuck(G)
June 10th, 2013, 08:32 AM
The DRVSPACE.BIN was placed on my diskette by the FORMAT /S command. I'll double-check my installation source, but I believe it was the MSDN distro for DOS 6.22.

SomeGuy
June 10th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Wait, I'm confused now. chromedome/Frank which image did you send me? One you created that didn't work on your machine, or the one chuck created that you say did work?

Chromedome45
June 10th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I sent chucks. Mine had a bad command.com in it. If you want mine I will send it.

SomeGuy
June 10th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Ok, got your disk image. Both command.com and imd.com are infected with the "athens" virus:

Virus data file V220 created 03/30/95 2:39:50
No viruses found in memory.
Scanning A:
A:\COMMAND.COM
Found the ATHENS virus
A:\TEST\IMD.COM
Found the ATHENS virus

Summary report on A:

File(s)
Analyzed: .............. 11
Scanned: ............... 7
Possibly Infected: ..... 2
Master Boot Record(s):.......... 1
Possibly Infected:...... 0
Boot Sector(s):................. 1
Possibly Infected:...... 0

Time: 00:00.07

You should assume any files/disks these programs have come in contact with are also infected.

Chuck(G)
June 10th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Bad news, Frank! That may mean that all of your DOS stuff is infected. :(

Chromedome45
June 10th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Well that sucks. Reformat my DOS system again! Just wonder were they came from? Someguy: What virus scanner did you use. Could be on my main system. I am using AVG 2013.

SpidersWeb
June 10th, 2013, 03:34 PM
From 1992 http://wiw.org/~meta/vsum/view.php?vir=149
It turns 21 this year by the looks.

SomeGuy
June 10th, 2013, 03:57 PM
I used a shareware DOS version of McAfee's virus scanner dated 3-31-95 that I had sitting on my DOS machine. I just double checked, and the good news is that it appears that running McAfee scan with the /CLEAN option several times seems to remove the virus (but some files might remain damaged). The MS scanner bundled with DOS 6.22 might also be able to do the same thing.

Just to test, I threw the infected files at a VM that also has AVG2013, and it set AVG off. But the only thing AVG knows to do with the infected file is outright delete it. Of course AVG won't look inside disk images.

Chromedome45
June 13th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Update finally got it to run off of hard drive. Used my seldom used DOS 6.00 disks to format C: & install DOS and make the IMD directory. Copied IMD 1.17 and the .IMD images and works like a charm....So far!

Chuck(G)
June 13th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Great Frank, but don't you still have a hard disk full of infected files?

Chromedome45
June 14th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Nope reformatted it! forgot to mention that.

NeXT
June 15th, 2013, 05:52 PM
OK to all those peeps that have it working could you provide a hardware listing of the system you are running it on. Ok Need Computer type and if it is a commercial system built system with CPU and CPU speed, Ram amount, are you using the integrated floppy controller or an external floppy card. If a homebrew system what motherboard ETC and all pertinent info as listed above. This would help me out a lot.

In a pervious post I mentioned I tried on several systems with no luck. So any info appreciated.

This. Please.
I'm trying to rock all my imaging work form a Compaq Portable 386 and it would be awesome to know if my own problem is either something not being configured or if I'm up against a limitation in the controller/the high density drive not translating. Every osborne CP/M image so far is not bootable even though imgdisk is apparently successfully writing disks.

I made a similar system using a clone for a previous employer. It's way more handy than lugging around an entire desktop system.

glitch
June 15th, 2013, 06:16 PM
You probably want to run Dave Dunfield's testfdc program to make sure you can actually write single-density floppies with your Compaq Portable, assuming you're writing single-density Osborne 1 disks. Many PC controllers won't do single-density at all, and most won't write single-density "360K" media on a 1.2 MB 5.25" drive.

NeXT
June 15th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Dammit. So I have to build another system :/

Chromedome45
June 16th, 2013, 05:51 AM
I'm using a AHA-1542cp ISA SCSI controller in my system. It handles single density with no problems. Just had to disable the onboard floppy controller. My system is a Pentium 1 233MHz. Unless your Compaq has an ISA bus. Then you can use this type of controller instead of the onboard floppy. Just run setup and disable the onboard controller. And if you have access to one of those Compaq 1/3 height 5.25 360K drives install it instead.

shirsch
June 7th, 2018, 06:18 AM
If this will help anyone, I have ported all the imagedisk utilities (programs that do not access the disk controller) to Linux. Dave Dunfield has given me permission to distribute these, but since he holds the license I cannot post it as a public project.

Download a tarball with sources and instructions here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/actw3a8k061uupq/AACFr6iC6L2x7_1gY5cbtVPfa?dl=0

If you want to do any bugfixing or enhancement, there's a Git bundle to get you setup with local repository.

It would be optimal if Dave would post this on the IMD web page, but he does not appear to have any interest in doing so (I've sent him the files).

jltursan
June 7th, 2018, 11:06 PM
Good work!, many thanks to Dave Dunfield and you for this :bigups:

As per the file contents seems that only command line tools has been ported. I suppose you don't have plans to port the GUI version to a ncurses version for example...

shirsch
June 8th, 2018, 03:49 AM
Good work!, many thanks to Dave Dunfield and you for this :bigups:

As per the file contents seems that only command line tools has been ported. I suppose you don't have plans to port the GUI version to a ncurses version for example...

I have no plans to port that graphics-based tool. Would gladly accept git merges from anyone who does, however!

Chuck(G)
June 8th, 2018, 08:07 AM
I've just run his utilities on Linux under dosemu. Works fine.

shirsch
June 8th, 2018, 10:55 AM
I've just run his utilities on Linux under dosemu. Works fine.

Right, but I needed to control things from a shell script. Plus dosemu can be a bit fussy sometimes.