PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro 10 now boots but more problems

oblivion
June 10th, 2013, 09:25 PM
I recently recived some disks to boot my kaypro 10 from a very helpful forum member but now i'm running into some issues with the machine as well as installing to the hard drive.

keep in mind this is my first experence with the cp/m OS.

with the disk I can boot into ver 2.2G. I can type dir via the A (or a0as mine displays) prompt and it does indeed read and list the disk content. I was advised to try typing "D $usv" to get to or format my HDD but on my first attempt I got a sector error. on my second attempt the screen just endlessly displayed an A0> prompt that scrolled endlessly down the screen.

anouther thing is if i boot into the os and walk away after a few minutes my machine seems to lock-up. as in if i return to it i cant input anything to the prompt and just get a "beep" when i press any keys. I was also supplied with anouther disk that boots into 2.2H i think. it seems run putsys automaticly which i'm assuming loads the os to the hdd? it asks me to hit return to continue and it starts to do something but then gets to "putsys ver 1.4H and then the machine locks up. It doesnt sound like the FDD is doing anything and I gave it a good while but nothing.

phogren
June 11th, 2013, 01:18 PM
The D $USV is to see what's on the disk(s). User areas can be a little confusing at the beginning. boot the disk 2.2H but press CTRL C as it starts to boot. That should put you at the A0> prompt again. the program you want is format06.com. I can't remember the exact specs it looks for after the program loads but I think it's pretty straight forward. IF the "format06" isn't in the root directory of the floppy disk it may be in user area 15. The fact that it boots off the floppy is great!
If it won't format find out make and model of the hard drive and I am sure someone here will know what the proper procedure should be.

oblivion
June 17th, 2013, 01:55 PM
got into the disk on2.2h and ran format06 as you suggested and got this message

"(wd1002) one read retry on error NEW INTERFACE CARD ONE PASS ONLY
(Auto Select, disk(s) 1-1, cylander(s) 0-6 head(s) 0-3)"

then the system locks up.

the hard drive that is installed is a Seagate ST212's so I think thats a 20MB drive.

phogren
June 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I think a 212 is a 10mb drive. I know this will raise the ire of a lot of people here but I think I would try to do a low level format on another machine. You would be able to determine whether it was the hard drive or not. I am not aware of how to do a Low level format on a Kaypro 10, but I have had luck doing it on another computer and then using the format06.