PDA

View Full Version : E-Bay sleaze

Micom 2000
July 19th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I use E-Pay now and then but it irks me that so many sellers skurt the truth in order to make a sale. This guy covers his behind by putting in a disclaimer that it is a partial Adam system and may not be used as is. Of course since the Adam was powered by the printer it is a boat anchor. He also says it was tested on a working system, so he is well aware of that. Can you imagine trying to find an Adam printer ? 2 suckers have bid it up to $49 at the moment and the flat rate shipping is $35. Sleazy has no boundaries or qualms.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140006328331

Lawrence

alexkerhead
July 19th, 2006, 02:21 AM
I agree, sellers are terrible on ebay.
I baught a compaq portable 386 a few weeks ago, and the seller said it worked, I got it here, it turned on, but the keyboard didn't work, I messed with it for hours, but the keyboard was just screwed up somehow, and I paid too much to spend 3 hours fixing a comcrap keyboard, so I told him I wanted a refund, and shipped it back(at my own expense) and he took 2 weeks to send me my money, minus shipping. I am so aggrevated with him. I am going to start trying to buy more from members here, like when I baught your commodores, everything was as you said, no exaggerations, just plain told me everything as it was.
Something few ebay sellers do, and when they do, you have to pay top price.

dongfeng
July 19th, 2006, 05:10 AM
You have to be really careful on eBay these days, there are far too many dishonest sellers there.

My previous XT was from one of those bad sellers. I was told that the computer starts no problem, although the seller did not have a keyboard or monitor to test it out (actually, the XT had a VGA card, so he could have tested it...). I was also told it was working perfectly when "retired" in 1991. On receipt of the computer it does NOT boot up, only the PSU turns on. The mainboard is dead! In fact, even if the mainboard was working, the 8088 had been relocated to a 286 card which was missing it's connection cable to the 8088 socket! What a waste of money.

Thankfully I have since bought a much nicer XT, in working order complete with 5153! Keyboard problems at the moment though, but should be fixed soon :)

compu_85
July 19th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Ya, I hate these sellers too. I'm by no means a power seller on eBay, but I have sold quite a few things. I try to be very up front in my listings, have lots of pictures, etc. But these jerks give people like me a bad name... and I don't appriciate it!

I also HATE those auctions with the super hyper inflated shipping! That's just stupid. Granted, when I ship something I generally add a few bux to what UPS is charging me, to cover my time and the shipping materials. I think that's reasonable. But $30 shipping on some little electronic gadget! With a starting bid of a penny! All your doing there is getting around the ebay accessment fees.

-Jason

Terry Yager
July 19th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I've had pretty good luck buying & selling. Very few problems, and they can usually be worked out to mutual satisfaction. But, every once in a while ya run across someone like this:

Terry: the shipping calculated by ebay or pay pal was
incorrect..the shipping is $20.00 not $12.50..please
send the additional 7.50 to ship.
This is the first time I have ever sold anything on
ebay , personally it's not worth the trouble and
aggrevation involved. Sorry about all this .

The above is a copy of the email I recieved yesterday, to which I replied:

I don't understand why you're asking for more money for shipping costs? You've already been paid more than $4.00 over the actual cost. The GRiDPad can be sent in a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate box, for $8.10, anywhere in the US. The extra four bucks should cover your gas for dropping of the package at your local Post Office. BTW, you won't need to pay extra for insurance either. Since around the first of this year, the package is automatically insured for a minimum of $75.00, at no extra cost.

Give your P.O. a call or visit, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to explain all the details.

Thank you.

--T

I have a very bad feeling about this ongoing drama. I'll let y'all know how it shakes out.

--T

carlsson
July 19th, 2006, 11:21 AM
This guy covers his behind by putting in a disclaimer that it is a partial Adam system and may not be used as is.
I only partly understand the rant. The bidders must read the description and know what they're bidding on, unless he added the descriptive texts and disclaimer after the auction ended. As you noted, it says that "these components require additional ADAM hardware in order to be used". Maybe it is a bit vague not to specify which items are required, but if I was bidding on a such system, I'd google up as much as I could about it.

Some people would collect even partitial systems, in case they come across matching parts one day in the future. It is not unheard of people getting a piece of software (e.g. a game cartridge) for a system they don't yet own. Either they will keep looking for the system, or trade it away to someone who owns a system.

USSEnterprise
July 19th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I've had pretty good luck buying & selling. Very few problems, and they can usually be worked out to mutual satisfaction. But, every once in a while ya run across someone like this:

The above is a copy of the email I recieved yesterday, to which I replied:

I have a very bad feeling about this ongoing drama. I'll let y'all know how it shakes out.

--T

The eBay shipping calculators are very innacurate, compared to those on the shipping companies' web sites.

Terry Yager
July 19th, 2006, 12:10 PM
The eBay shipping calculators are very innacurate, compared to those on the shipping companies' web sites.

In this case, the calc was slanted in the seller's favor.

--T

kb2syd
July 19th, 2006, 12:18 PM
The ebay shipping calculators are pretty accurate, but can be skewed based on what the seller enters. I sell a bit of stuff, and there are lots of ways to inflate the shipping.

First, you can add a flat "handling" fee of X dollars.
Then, you can overestimate the weight of the item.
Then, you can opt for the post office's "flat rate" shipping, which can be very inflated for some lighter items.

These are just a few ways. Some sellers try to inflate the shipping to make up for a lower selling price. Others do it to compensate for the PayPal vig they're forced to swallow.

Terry Yager
July 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
The ebay shipping calculators are pretty accurate, but can be skewed based on what the seller enters. I sell a bit of stuff, and there are lots of ways to inflate the shipping.

First, you can add a flat "handling" fee of X dollars.
Then, you can overestimate the weight of the item.
Then, you can opt for the post office's "flat rate" shipping, which can be very inflated for some lighter items.

These are just a few ways. Some sellers try to inflate the shipping to make up for a lower selling price. Others do it to compensate for the PayPal vig they're forced to swallow.

I get the impression that the seller is one of these folks. She prob'ly wasn't happy with the $7.50 selling price and is trying to grab a few extra bucks. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't mind paying $15.00 for a GRiDPad SL, but there's a principal involved here. You don't raise the price *after* the deal has been made. I acted in good faith, and I expect the seller to do the same. (Of course, in this case, I want the item enough to pay the jacked-up price, but *only* if I have no other choice).

--T

80sFreak
July 19th, 2006, 01:32 PM
If I were to quote a certain shipping cost and then when all is said and done it is more I would eat that cost... But of course I would learn from that and make the shipping is more in line next time.

Cheers,

80sFreak

P.S. More then a year ago I won pretty much the entire run of Info magazines around November-ish.. Around January I realized I had not received it yet so I emailed the seller. He said maybe it was because of the December rush and I said ok.. Around March I emailed him back saying they still have not arrived. He was very happy that I emailed him as he said he had lost my email and the box of magazines had been sent back to him saying there wasn't enough postage. So I gave him my address again and in about three weeks they finally appeared on my doorstep! :) (Well, actually the mailman rang the doorbell and gave the box to me)..

I checked them all out and they were still in good to excellent condition! (The seller said when they had been returned the box was kinda damaged).

Edit: I also didn't have to pay an extra for shipping even though he had to send it twice...

P.P.S. Now one day I need some time to scan, scan, scan!

alexkerhead
July 19th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I ship priority only if a customer asks for it, otherwise I ship first class, which is always under $8 for a pcjr or something or similar size and weight.

Terry Yager
July 19th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I usually use the flatrate packs cauze it's easy to post the shipping cost in advance.

Most of the time, 1st Class is only a small difference in price vs. Priority. I'm not sure that one is any faster than the other.

--T

Unknown_K
July 19th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I shipped a bunch of stuff recently to Canada using USPS and the rates were:
$65 for air in under a week
$45 for 2-4 weeks
$24 for 4-6 weeks

I chose the cheapest method and he still recieved it in about 2 weeks. I would think the last 2 methods would be shipped on the same truck at the same time unless there were enough medium grade packages shipping at the same time to bounce the cheap shipping method.

If you ship during the christmas rush I think the times given are probably accurate, but any other time probably not.

alexkerhead
July 19th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, i've never had a package take the stated amount of time, they always arrive early.

sfcspanky
July 30th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I know this is unrelated to ebay, but it is related to shipping.

Last week, the company i work for moved to their new location. A few days before, I had ordered a part in to be shipped to the new location, knowing that by the time the item would get in, it would be at the new location.

Guess what happened? UPS saw the company name, slapped on the old address, and you can imagine what happened when the truck showed up at the old building.

Ended up having to reorder the part, but this time I had it ordered it second day air(meaning it would be delivered on Friday). Jagoffs had it early in the morning Friday, but still havent delivered it by 5 when the company closed for the day. And BTW- a straight shot from their facility and my company's building is a 20 minute drive. I know they have lots of other packages put together, but it shouldnt take an entire day to deliver an item.

I will never again use UPS. I hope I am not the one who greets the driver on Monday.

UPDATE: Shortly after posting this, I checked the tracking on the package, and apparently they showed up 20 minutes after 5. I had called UPS earlier that day and they had promised that package by 5:00 that day!