PDA

View Full Version : Apple goes off the deep end again....

Shadow Lord
June 12th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Anyone else think the new Mac Pros are the brain child of a designer on an Acid Trip? I can understand if they were a limited edition, a design study or whatever but as the main workforce of the company?

An unexpandable, unfixable, proprietary piece of junk AKA the new Mac Pro (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/06/a-critical-look-at-the-new-mac-pro/)

Old Thrashbarg
June 12th, 2013, 09:14 AM
It looks like a trash can. Which is rather fitting, IMO.

Unknown_K
June 12th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Apple isn't a computer company, they sell trendy gadgets.

commodorejohn
June 12th, 2013, 09:35 AM
One giant fan for the whole system? Have they forgotten the "wind-tunnel" G4s?

Sheez. Apple at least used to have enough sense to recognize that their "engineer the customer to fit the product" mindset didn't work on pro users.

glitch
June 12th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Apple has pro users?

DOS lives on!!
June 12th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Hmm, just a shiny trash bin with come computer parts and stolen ideas from a Dyson vacuum cleaner. Steve Jobs won't save Apple this time around.

Dmitriy Krotevich
June 12th, 2013, 09:51 AM
iAshTray

Are there any actual photos, not 3D renders?

commodorejohn
June 12th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Apple has pro users?
They used to, anyway. Remember back when the Macintosh II came out and its big selling point was that it was so damn expandable? Or the Power Macs with six PCI slots? How far they've fallen...dammit, Jobs!

glitch
June 12th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Here's a pretty "spirit of the time" podcast on one developer's view of Apple's direction:

http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=1257

Basically, going from "it's UNIX that's ready to go! on excellent hardware!" at the intro of OS X to the consumption-centric devices we see now.

Shadow Lord
June 12th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Here is a CNN article (http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/11/tech/innovation/mac-pro-computer/index.html?hpt=te_r1) with a video and some real shots of the machine.

barythrin
June 12th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Yeah we were talking about that the other day at work. Not sure about that thing. Seems like a heat trap and a failing fan after a few years. Not sure how or if it's expandable either from the look of it.

glitch
June 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM
ThunderBolt is the claimed expansion solution. We've had problems with ThunderBolt at work, especially with semi-early implementations.

Compgeke
June 12th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I have a feeling Apple is going to loose a fair amount of customers with this one, as there are a few companies around here that use Mac Pros for actual work, video editing, audio and such, and they rely on the fact that they can upgrade parts of the system when needed, not the entire thing.

The first thing I've noticed wrong is only 4 ram slots. I notice that 32 and 64 gigs are common Mac Pro upgrades, and 16 gig DDR3 modules aren't yet commonly available as far as I know, and probably will be insanely expensive.

The next problem is ATI FirePro GPUs. The companies around here that use Premiere won't have any reason at all to upgrade, Premiere uses CUDA on the nVidia cards, so ATI cards aren't going to provide any GPU acceleration at all.

The third problem is the SSD-only thing. Any workstation computer needs storage, and a SSD doesn't provide enough storage at a cheap cost. Sure, it's faster, but when I need to store raw footage of a video, uncompressed, I need something to store it on, and external drives can be a pain in the ass.

The final thing I notice is the cooling. video cards run hot, insanely hot. Putting two Xeons and two video cards on one heatsink will have the same effect most laptops do, as the GPUs heat up the CPU will heat up. A CPU running at the same temperature as a GPU will more than likely throttle down for cooling reasons, I know personally once my laptop's CPU cores hit 70 degrees it throttles down to half it's clock, and it's usually the GPU that's heating it up. The single-fan idea is also going to create a nice dust trap, especially if you sit it on the floor.

Now, if Apple was going to market this as something other than the Mac Pro, I would be all for it, possibly just a general workstation Mac rather than their top-of-the-line model. This here reminds me a lot of a general system than a workstation due to the lack of expandability and storage.

deckardbr
June 13th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I didn't mind the design, its kind of different and cool, but the non-expandability is a problem. The whole reason people buy Mac Pros is to have state of the art speed with the ability to expand with even better graphics cards or processors in the future. With the new MacPro all of the expansion is external. Its basically a super G4 Cube.

dorkbert
June 13th, 2013, 03:28 PM
ThunderBolt is the claimed expansion solution. We've had problems with ThunderBolt at work, especially with semi-early implementations.

Sounded like you bought into Promise boxes.