PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro Robie

phogren
June 14th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I got a Kaypro Robie off Ebay. It obviously had some problems but it went cheap. I am hoping someone has one that could shoot me some pictures. I have the bottom portion with the video display and power supply. I have the back pane that the serial ports, parrallel port, keyboard, and light pen(?) protrude through.
I have the top cover that the drives stick through. It seems though that there must be another piece that I am missing. Anyone? I am going to try and convert it to a 2X.
Any pictures of the system with the top cover off would be greatly appreciated. I do get a display with the 2X motherboard attached.

Chuck(G)
June 14th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Do you have the drives? They, after all, are what made the Robie a Robie...

phogren
June 14th, 2013, 02:22 PM
No, I'm just trying to have a unique addition to my Kaypro collection. I've read that there was a hard disk option for the Robie but not sure where the intermediate and other things would have gone. I am missing the cage that the drives are connected to.

TX_Dj
June 14th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Yeah, you need the motherboard, keyboard, and the drives. Those 3 things missing are the reason I passed on that one. I too thought it would be neat, even for parts. You could put a different motherboard in it, and some "standard" drives, but then you just have a regular Kaypro desktop.

The Robie's big deal was that it had 5MB of storage on it's two floppies, using the Kodak 2.6MB drives.

Those drives pop up on ebay SOMETIMES. Finding the media is perhaps a bit more challenging.

phogren
June 14th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Exactly. I am just wanting to have a unique looking Kaypro. I have several 2X's and until I find the parts it'll be a 2X in Robie clothing. The drive "cage" is going to be a hassle but if I can find some pictures I am hoping to be able to fabricate one. The inside looks good and the monitor works great.