PDA

View Full Version : WordStar

Terry Yager
July 19th, 2006, 06:16 PM
So I'm watching the Steven King thinggy on TNT right now (who isn't?), and the actor just mentioned that for Christmas (1983?), he recieved a Commodore 64, with WordStar. Was there ever a C= 64 version of WS?
Directly following this statement, the camera cuts to a shot of a child inserting first, a cassette tape, and then a disk (presumably at the same time). Am I missing sum'n, or does the show need a better vintage computer consultant?

--T

carlsson
July 20th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Maybe the word processing software (whichever it was) loaded from disk, but only supported tape for storing documents. Or supported both, but in this documentary they would not want to swap floppies between program and work disk.

Bill_Loguidice
July 21st, 2006, 05:12 AM
It doesn't mean there wasn't one, but I don't recall Wordstar for the C-64. It was obviously big on CP/M and later, for a short while, on DOS. I'm not sure it would be appropriate on the C-64 anyway, with its 40 column limit. There were a few "professional" word processing systems for the C-64, but never any of the truly big names that I can recall. I can't say 100% though without doing some research.

Blackcube
July 22nd, 2006, 08:13 AM
I run Wordstar on my C128D but it's the CP/M version. I too don't ever remember a C64 version. I think they need a better consultant.

Wasn't there a CP/M cart for the C64 that contained a z80 chip?

Bill_Loguidice
July 22nd, 2006, 08:32 AM
I run Wordstar on my C128D but it's the CP/M version. I too don't ever remember a C64 version. I think they need a better consultant.

Wasn't there a CP/M cart for the C64 that contained a z80 chip?

I too have plenty of CP/M software for the C-128. It actually was quite good at that since the 1571 could read multiple formats.

Yes, there was a CP/M cart for the C-64. It did have a chip in the cartridge. The issue was though that software did have to be converted to work properly (an issue withy many CP/M implementations) and it wasn't particularly stable or effective. The 40 column limitation of the C-64 was also a factor, as it was on systems like the Coleco Adam. It's fairly collectible as those things go, though, and I wouldn't mind acquiring one myself if I can get one for a reasonable price. I've seen them available in various states of completeness and it would certainly round out my CP/M system/add-on collection.

carlsson
July 23rd, 2006, 07:26 AM
An acquaintance of mine bought a box of C64 cartridges from another guy I know. In the box were several TFC3, HesMon etc, but also a CP/M cartridge. Big items, reminds me of REUs. Dunno if the CP/M one is for sale, or if it even is working.

80sFreak
July 23rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
i just watched the ?first? episode about little plastic army men attacking their creator's killer... Has SK lost his touch or what? I watched the entire show hoping for a twist but was sorely disappointed. :( This show was very lame... It was as if SK came up with the idea but somebody else wrote it... :(

I have The Stand and The Langoliers because they are really good.. but this show just falls flat...

Cheers,

80sFreak