PDA

View Full Version : Zip Drive w/ Sharp PC7200

bbcmicro
July 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM
I Have a nice Sharp PC 7200, an MS DOS and IBM(?) compatable portable. It does not have a functioning hdd, however, and the one inside is an odd format. I cant remember exactly, what, it being a while ago.

I want to stop booting from a flaky 5.25" drive, of which I only have one copy of a boot disk,(I think its 4.x) and I want to copy disks. I cant use a ramdrive because it has no extended memory.

Can I use a zip drive with the parallel port without any drivers?

BTW, Im leaving for a holiday in cornwall in the next half hour so I expect an answer when I return!

mbbrutman
July 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM
The short answer is no.

No BIOS on any PC knows how to boot from a parallel port device. The PC parallel port provides IO ports but not ROM addressability, so there is no way to extend the built-in BIOS to tell it how to talk to the parallel port device.

To do this you need to get a ROM extension on the system somehow. You could make your own BIOS, you could add a card that lets you add a ROM BIOS extension to the machine, or if you are lucky enough to be on a PCjr you can make your own cartridge. ;-)

bbcmicro
July 21st, 2006, 10:24 AM
Ah well, it was worth asking.
Is there nothing I can do except replace the internal hdd? I thing there is an RS-xxxx something or other too