PDA

View Full Version : Going all on the cloud.

facattack
June 25th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Radioshack has a cloud server device for $45 and I can pick up an external, rugged hard drive off of Amazon. You just need internet access to host your files with.

The plan is that my computer natively running takes a very long time to boot up properly being that it is Windows XP and has 3 GB of RAM. I have a Carbonite membership that runs out this December and hopefully I can obtain the external before year's end to use their Mirror Backup feature with.

I can get rid of a lot of the games on my system since they might not run remotely on a tablet or phone. But this means no more WOW or LOTRO or Warhammer: Age of Reckoning for me. I also can say "goodbye" to temptation of buying a newer, better PC to run more advanced games.

Wise idea?

barythrin
June 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Wyse idea? j/k I don't know, it depends on your personal computer use and needs. I personally don't really trust cloud services because I don't know who has access to my data, how well it's protected, what if it gets compromised, and what if they cancel the service. To me it's more of a hassle having things online. I just did that with my playstation because they're forcing everyone to in order to use the playstation network (it now moves your save games online). Anyway, I'm leery now because 1. I've never lost my connection to the psn so much until this stupid upgrade and 2. if their service or mine goes down I probably can't play my games now which is really stupid.

Anyway.. I think it's probably a personal opinion though. I can see the benefit of both sides of the argument. It's offsite storage so if your drive(s) dies it's out there somewhere but you do lose control over your intellectual property.

commodorejohn
June 25th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Entrusting your valuables to someone who only has your best interests at heart to the extent that you pay them to is never a good idea. The entire "cloud" scam is based around the ludicrous notion that giving your data to a complete stranger is safer than keeping it to yourself. And if you think your computer is slow now, wait until you've replaced that 150-300 MB/s SATA or 133 MB/s ATA connection with a 6Mb/s (.75 MB/s) DSL connection!

It's nonsense, pure and simple. Offsite backup services are one thing; offsite live storage as a replacement for local storage is just idiotic.

(Here's a tip: if an XP system is taking a long time to boot, do a reinstall. Windows installs just degrade over time; freshen it up and it'll run like new.)

facattack
June 25th, 2013, 12:39 PM
It isn't a service per say. There's no monthly fee. Just the cost of the unit for $45 at Radioshack. I didn't question how they put the data out there.... I sorta wanted to hook up my PC to it but the manual said nothing about a PC connection and just talked about hooking up an external hard drive. "No computer required."

commodorejohn
June 25th, 2013, 12:49 PM
So you don't even know the specifics of the service and you're considering putting all your data on it? You think they're seriously going to give you free online storage for the price of a $45 unit?

Insane.

Edit: Wait, am I misreading this? Are you saying that it's a computer you hook your own local storage to for remote access from other devices? That seems pointless considering you can already do that with any PC.

facattack
June 25th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Are you saying that it's a computer you hook your own local storage to for remote access from other devices? That seems pointless considering you can already do that with any PC.

How though? A friend offered to hook the PC in his basement.... how do I access files remotely over wifi?

xprt
June 25th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Are you talking about a Pogoplug (http://my.pogoplug.com/devices) type device? It's not what people usually think of a cloud service. It is a server that you plug your own USB hard drive into and can access remotely over the internet.

facattack
June 25th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Are you talking about a Pogoplug (http://my.pogoplug.com/devices) type device? It's not what people usually think of a cloud service. It is a server that you plug your own USB hard drive into and can access remotely over the internet.

I forgot what it was called because I had returned the unit, but that could be it....

commodorejohn
June 25th, 2013, 01:18 PM
How though? A friend offered to hook the PC in his basement.... how do I access files remotely over wifi?
Use a VNC server/client, or Windows's own Remote Desktop service. With VNC the exact method depends on your software, with Remote Desktop it's just right there in Windows Explorer like any other move/copy operation. Did you look into this at all?

facattack
June 25th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Did you look into this at all?

Nope.

Agent Orange
June 25th, 2013, 02:44 PM
facattack:

You are aware that you can get an external USB 3 TB hard drive (with enclosure + free shipping) for less than $130 at almost any retailer these days. Then you can just stick the thing under your pillow or mattress and your stuff will be safe - hopefully. (lol) :rolleyes:

xprt
June 25th, 2013, 03:06 PM
facattack:

You are aware that you can get an external USB 3 TB hard drive (with enclosure + free shipping) for less than $130 at almost any retailer these days. Then you can just stick the thing under your pillow or mattress and your stuff will be safe - hopefully. (lol) :rolleyes:

Unless your house burns down.:(

Agent Orange
June 25th, 2013, 03:16 PM

Yeah - you don't have a house or a PC anymore but by Gump, you still have that data. :)

Late edit (had to think about this for 10 or 15 seconds): How important will that data be if you
were in that when it went up?

barythrin
June 25th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Well someone might want to listen to my mp3s or vintage podcast downloads. ;-)

xprt
June 25th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah - you don't have a house or a PC anymore but by Gump, you still have that data. :)

Late edit (had to think about this for 10 or 15 seconds): How important will that data be if you
were in that when it went up?

I agree. If your house burned down your data should be the last of your worries:).

But off-site backup is one of cloud backup services like Carbonite's selling points.

commodorejohn
June 25th, 2013, 03:58 PM
True. Then again, it's not like "The Cloud" exists in an ethereal fairyland removed from the cares and travails of the physical world, no matter what Wired columnists think. Datacenters are still entirely vulnerable to earthquakes, wildfires, floods, meteors, etc.

facattack
June 25th, 2013, 04:03 PM
facattack:

Unfortunately the ones at stores aren't rugged. :(

Agent Orange
June 25th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Unfortunately the ones at stores aren't rugged. :(

How rugged does it have to be? Are you speaking of the case, drive, or both?

facattack
June 25th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Drop-resistant. I'm slowly and steadily removing things from my PC but I still need around 1TB. And I want a well nigh invlunerable HDD. I can't afford a SSD one that's that size, though.

Chuck(G)
June 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM
How about a bunch of 8" floppies? They're perfectly drop-resistant and you'd need less than a million of them to store 1TB.