PDA

View Full Version : installing serial port PCI card in DOS?

RaptorZX3
June 27th, 2013, 12:04 PM
to make a long story short, the serial ports doesn't seem to work with brackets i have here, so i decided to install a serial port PCI card in this P100 computer, it worked with the drivers in Windows 98, but now that i formatted this PC, and installed DOS, strictly for DOS games, i want to know if it's possible to install a serial port PCI card drivers in DOS?

The card i have here, have 2 ports.

I want to use this card because i found a PS/2 trackball lately, and it seem to be compatible with PS/2 to serial adapter, since it work just fine on my Pentium 3 serial port (in Windows 98 ) using this adapter, and i don't have another PS/2 bracket to put on this PC.

Stone
June 27th, 2013, 12:36 PM
to make a long story short, the serial ports doesn't seem to work with brackets i have here, so i decided to install a serial port PCI card in this P100 computer, it worked with the drivers in Windows 98, but now that i formatted this PC, and installed DOS, strictly for DOS games, i want to know if it's possible to install a serial port PCI card drivers in DOS?Sure, run the install disk for the DOS drivers.

Chuck(G)
June 27th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Exactly. PCI BIOSes have a facility wherein the resources used by a card can be determined by software--something that has to be integrated into the driver.

SomeGuy
June 27th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Your PCI serial card should have come with a DOS mode driver or utility. This program will re-map the PCI card's serial port to a normal I/O address so that DOS and DOS programs can use it as a standard serial port (COM1, COM2, COM3, or COM4).

If you are installing a mouse driver, make sure it is loaded after this utility.

Also note that this won't help other OSes that the manufacture does not provide drivers for.

RaptorZX3
June 27th, 2013, 01:42 PM
the card is sold by Startech, it's a "PCI2S550". I used the drivers, did a command that remap to legacy ports ("-a -r"), it seem to detect the "mouse" on COM1, but when i run a game using the mouse (Phantasmagoria), the mouse pointer doesn't move in the game. I disabled the COM ports in the BIOS, so the card use COM1 and COM2. The Logitech mouse driver install detect activity on the COM1 where the trackball is, even the generic mouse.com driver detect COM1, but when i use a test software, it doesn't do anything.

The trackball/pointing device is a Logitech T-CM14, "Marble Mouse", like this one here:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/kpsurplus_images/73faac0733fb96cc15a4fbb0c2e55dae22e6254e.jpg

orion24
June 27th, 2013, 01:52 PM
to make a long story short, the serial ports doesn't seem to work with brackets i have here, so i decided to install a serial port PCI card in this P100 computer, it worked with the drivers in Windows 98, but now that i formatted this PC, and installed DOS, strictly for DOS games, i want to know if it's possible to install a serial port PCI card drivers in DOS?

The card i have here, have 2 ports.

I want to use this card because i found a PS/2 trackball lately, and it seem to be compatible with PS/2 to serial adapter, since it work just fine on my Pentium 3 serial port (in Windows 98 ) using this adapter, and i don't have another PS/2 bracket to put on this PC.

It is a little unusual for a hardware serial port problem. Are you sure everything is properly configured with the onboard serial ports? Like BIOS settings, maybe even jumper settings, or even IRQ conflicts

RaptorZX3
June 27th, 2013, 02:40 PM
the Logitech software said the proper setup would be "COM1 on IRQ4" while it's on IRQ11 i think, and i have no idea how to change the IRQ

Stone
June 27th, 2013, 02:54 PM
When you ran the setup disk didn't give you any IRQ options?

RaptorZX3
June 27th, 2013, 03:00 PM
heh...i remembered seeing IRQ settings stuff in the BIOS, i was able to switch from Auto to Manual, so i selected IRQ4 for the 2nd PCI card detected, and it did, ran the mouse test and it work fine now.

RaptorZX3
November 18th, 2013, 05:12 AM
well i tried using this serial card on another AT setup, which use a Pentium 100Mhz, it would be the only way to make a mouse work on it (or i would have to pay a crapload of money for a PS/2 bracket), and it seem like there's no option to remap the thing to COM1 IRQ4...

i'll try getting a PS/2 bracket on Saturday, i'll be at the iMuseum, they must have at least 1 somewhere i could use. Plus i'll drop a lot of computer stuff there to recycle or either putting them on display.