PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys ever take a chance on ebay stuff working out?

Unknown_K
June 29th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I generally browse ebay for computer related stuff but every once in a while I check out older audio equipment.

Technics was my favorite brand for home stereo equipment (discontinued by Panasonic in 2001 or so) and once in a while I browse ebay to see what's for sale. My 5 CD disc changer gave up the ghost a couple years ago (think the laser went, just died in the middle of playing a disc and a cleaning didn't help, still have it) and since I snagged a Tascam CD + Tape unit at the local recycler (mint condition and free) I never bothered to replace the changer (plus I have been listening to MP3 compilations on my DVD player). But every once in a while I get the itch to get another Technics changer and I spotted a 110 + 1 Disc unit on ebay for $25 shipped. The few units I seen locally were totally trashed. There was no picture for the thing, condition was stated a spring was broken inside and he had a jammed CD inside, and the only picture was of a 60 cd unit box. Most times I stay away from broken stuff with no pictures that might be mislabeled but said what the hell (5 CD units are going for $30+ shipped with no remote, dam collectors). After emailing to see if it had a remote (he said yes) I bit and paid the $25 BIN. The unit came with a couple scratches on top and the play button recessed in the front (broken). It is the 110+1 cd unit, had the correct remote, and after a few hours of stripping the mechanism, replacing a bad rubber belt from an old CDROM drive, some strategic hotglue for the play button to hold it in place (can't tell it was ever broke), and putting it back together I have a mint looking and 100% functional cd changer. Kind of funny how it worked out in the end.

gerrydoire
June 29th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Ebay offers three possibilities:

1. You get exactly what you expected
2. You get the deal you never expected +++
3. You get bent over and well you know the rest.

:)

NeXT
June 29th, 2013, 08:51 PM
It still sits on that Apricot Portable I paid $300 for with full knowledge the system beeped, makes working-like sounds but the proprietary LCD screen was totally dead. Took a bet that it was just the display cable. Got lucky because it was.
Any other occasion though I would not of dared.

commodorejohn
June 29th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I sometimes take a chance if it's clear that either A. the item is in good shape and the seller just doesn't want to test it for fear something might be wrong with it and he'd lose plausible deniability, or B. the flaw listed is an easy fix and the seller clearly just doesn't know how/can't be assed. I got my Yamaha TX7 for fairly cheap because the seller didn't bother testing it; the only thing wrong with it was (predictably) a dead backup battery. Replaced that and it works like new.

Unknown_K
June 29th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Its one thing to go look at a bunch of pictures and make a decision, its another just going with your gut with little infor or conflicting info. Luckily I have had good luck with items the owner said were broken and some worked just fine (and they were worth much more then the cd changer I got) or that just needed a little work. Once in a while even I get burned, but not for much money.

gerrydoire
June 29th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I bought an IBM Portable 5155 on Ebay for $50.

The guy said it wouldn't work, so I took the risk of seeing what was wrong with it.
The HD was dead, that was it, the machine was in 8/10 shape.

Chuck(G)
June 29th, 2013, 10:55 PM
It's not unusual for me to receive brand-new merchandise when advertised as "used" from eBay. The last item I recall, was a Sony DDS4 drive. Cost me all of $15 shipped and was brand-new in sealed factory packaging.

g4ugm
June 30th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Its like any other "Market Place", there are good sellers, lazy sellers and plain rouges. Trying to decide if some on is just lazy or a rouge is the tick. Sometimes it pays off and you get nice stuff. At other times it doesn't.....

TX_Dj
June 30th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Rule of thumb: Expect any vintage hardware you buy from ebay to be non-functional, even if the seller thinks it is. If you don't think you or someone you know can fix it, don't buy it.

Plain and simple.

Agent Orange
June 30th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Just last night I 'won' a XFX 7970 Ghost video card for $309.00 on ebay (completes the CrossFire setup on my gamer). This item was advertised as a RMA replacement, so that sort of classifies it as new. What's stunning to me is how this one seemed to slip through the cracks, so to speak. I was the only bidder. I put a max bid of $339 on the thing and no one else even bid. This item retails for about $389.00 at Tiger Direct, a little more at Newegg, once in a while $30 mail-in rebate, and you may or may not pay shipping, depending on the vendor. So, it remains to be seen whether or not I get bent over the ole pickle barrel or not on this one.

glitch
July 1st, 2013, 05:42 AM
With vintage computer stuff, I generally assume it will be broken/not completely functional and bid accordingly. I'm never disappointed when it's busted, and surprised when it just works!

gerrydoire
July 1st, 2013, 07:49 AM
Just last night I 'won' a XFX 7970 Ghost video card for $309.00 on ebay (completes the CrossFire setup on my gamer). This item was advertised as a RMA replacement, so that sort of classifies it as new. What's stunning to me is how this one seemed to slip through the cracks, so to speak. I was the only bidder. I put a max bid of $339 on the thing and no one else even bid. This item retails for about $389.00 at Tiger Direct, a little more at Newegg, once in a while $30 mail-in rebate, and you may or may not pay shipping, depending on the vendor. So, it remains to be seen whether or not I get bent over the ole pickle barrel or not on this one.

Slightly Bent over..

Agent Orange
July 1st, 2013, 08:02 AM
Slightly Bent over..

Do you know of a cheaper or better deal for that item? It won't be the first time that I've been led down the primrose path and probably not the last. (lol)

barythrin
July 1st, 2013, 09:27 AM
So, it remains to be seen whether or not I get bent over the ole pickle barrel or not on this one.

Still lol from that statement. I generally only buy stuff I'm comfortable with fixing or that's demonstrated with pictures to be in a state I'm happy with. Yes general rule of thumb is assume it will need to be fixed, but I've had mostly good luck with things arriving in the state they mention. I'm also fairly cautious buying though and only buy when the price and seller both seem right. I do follow some of the members here auctions for folks I consider trustworthy too which helps.

Agent Orange
July 1st, 2013, 09:46 AM
Still lol from that statement. I generally only buy stuff I'm comfortable with fixing or that's demonstrated with pictures to be in a state I'm happy with. Yes general rule of thumb is assume it will need to be fixed, but I've had mostly good luck with things arriving in the state they mention. I'm also fairly cautious buying though and only buy when the price and seller both seem right. I do follow some of the members here auctions for folks I consider trustworthy too which helps.

Well, the saving grace for this deal was that it's a RMA replacement item. When originally sold, that card had a lifetime warranty. XFX has a fairly liberal policy about warranties. A few years ago I sold a real nice 9800 video card on eBay and was allowed to transfer the warranty to the buyer. So, time will tell.

Unknown_K
July 1st, 2013, 10:19 AM
I snagged 2 Geforce 8800 GTS cards for a SLI setup for $25 sold as untested for parts, wonder if they will work. It seems buying old gamer video cards is a big gamble these days because of heat/solder issues.

Agent Orange
July 1st, 2013, 10:39 AM
I snagged 2 Geforce 8800 GTS cards for a SLI setup for $25 sold as untested for parts, wonder if they will work. It seems buying old gamer video cards is a big gamble these days because of heat/solder issues.

6 or 7 years ago the GeForce 8800's were where it was at. Some still think so - check this out: http://www.esaitech.com/evga-geforce-8800gtx-superclocked-768mb-384-bit-pci-e-x16-hdcp-ready-sli-video-card.html?pk_campaign=ga-pla&gclid=CLDqiLD4jrgCFRBgMgodDgwA2A

I'd be willing to risk $25 for that setup - if it turns out that they work, you're going to be well pleased.

barythrin
July 1st, 2013, 10:43 AM
Gaming video cards I'd be more worried about since all the ones I've seen in the last .. maybe 10 years have the fan fail then overheat. It's not always obvious they have a problem until you're using it for a long period of time. I'm pretty sure I have an 8800 but that's just the last deal I went for during probably a black friday sale. I'd much rather have a better card but haven't found much justification yet.

Unknown_K
July 1st, 2013, 10:52 AM
Starting with the ATI 9700 is where video cards started failing with use, there are tons of 9700/9800 that have artifacts or are dead. Collecting those cards is a pain because of the high probability of getting a dead card (and people still buy them on ebay so there is competition for later AGP). Oddly enough I have been lucky getting later cards like the Geforce 8800 GS, 7800 GTX, ATI X1900 GT etc in working condition for little money. Since I won an AM2 SLI board (actually a server board with an Operton 1218 and 8 GB RAM DDR2 800) I wanted to try out an SLI setup, that means getting lucky finding a duplicate of what I have or buying 2 of the same card. Craigslist here seems to have people trying to flip items for 2x what they cost on ebay, and good luck getting a refund on dead items.

I don't really play new games but I do like setting up older rigs on the cheap and playing older games.

Agent Orange
July 1st, 2013, 11:21 AM
Gaming video cards I'd be more worried about since all the ones I've seen in the last .. maybe 10 years have the fan fail then overheat. It's not always obvious they have a problem until you're using it for a long period of time. I'm pretty sure I have an 8800 but that's just the last deal I went for during probably a black friday sale. I'd much rather have a better card but haven't found much justification yet.

Fans can be a problem. I have a glass hypodermic syringe, loaded with Singer sewing machine oil that I use to lubricate those tight little places. It seems to work once in a while, unless there's a bad bearing or other internal problems. Worth trying.

phogren
July 1st, 2013, 11:31 AM
All great posts. Assuming it doesn't work is best. Red Flags for me:
"Untested because I couldn't find a power cord"
"Seems to power up but not sure"

There are others I'm sure. If it's obviously a non computer person selling it then I am always skeptical. I've made some great purchases and been reamed a few times too.
The post that said make sure you can fix it is very very true.

High_Treason
July 1st, 2013, 01:47 PM
I can't remember if I did post in here or on a similar thread elsewhere... But, in case I didn't, what I think I posted was that I bought an old Quadro card as broken, it was a gamble, but as it cost about the same as the heatsink I wasn't bothered - it didn't work, despite the seller saying that one DVI port still did, however, he may have tested with DVI-D and my screens are all VGA. I don't begrudge the seller, he listed it as "parts or not working" - an honest guy.

On the other hand, I bought one as working, it behaved similarly to the broken one; it was broken, but not as broken, it displayed text mode at some resolutions. The seller did not accept returns but when I contacted him he said I could send it back anyway, it appears he has refunded me but this probably won't clear until the 9th. In short, you never know what you're getting really.

I often have bad luck with 7th gen hardware though, so I'm hardly surprised by this stuff. I always wanted this particular card (well, the GeForce equivaent) so hopefully it'll be third time lucky.

Unknown_K
July 3rd, 2013, 10:35 AM
The 2 BFG 8800 GTS OC cards arrived, both seem to work fine individually (29383 3dmarks in 3Dmark03 with generic MS drivers under OS 7 32bit Athlon 64 x2 5200). Guess I need to setup that SLI board and get an SLI cable.

Good day, my new BBQ grill arrived as well.

Agent Orange
July 3rd, 2013, 10:50 AM
The 2 BFG 8800 GTS OC cards arrived, both seem to work fine individually (29383 3dmarks in 3Dmark03 with generic MS drivers under OS 7 32bit Athlon 64 x2 5200). Guess I need to setup that SLI board and get an SLI cable.

Good day, my new BBQ grill arrived as well.

Can you post some frame rates when you get it all bolted together? I think that would interesting to compare then and now.

barythrin
July 3rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
My friend tested an SLI set up before with I think 8800s and for whatever reason it was slower than a single card (may have been a slightly newer card) but he went back to 1 card for gaming which was interesting and not what we expected. But yes it'd be interesting to see. AOs the one I thought we were waiting to receive a video card though. And to see what a pickle barrel is.

arrow_runner
July 3rd, 2013, 12:02 PM
I won a 5150 with a 5151 and not-matching Model M keyboard for shy of $80. The seller had 3 feedback, only one picture and everything was dirty. They didn't follow my shipping directions so the 5151 arrived with a bunch of stuff rattling in it. I asked for a refund on the shipping ($25) which they agreed to. Once that was settled I decided to open up the 5151. Surprisingly it was only bits of internal plastic that was broken and the screen still works. I'm confident that I can repair the mounts, put it back together and you'd never know anything happened to it. The 5150 is filthy as sin but works and has an 8087, a hard drive, and a couple RAM expansion cards. The Model M is also quite dirty but works.

I won another lot of random cards that I saw had a Orchid Tiny Turbo 286 and one or two other things I wanted. The seller put the least amount of work packing it that he could. Boards were literally separated by a sheet of paper... I haven't tested the Orchid from that yet, but I got half my money back since there were a lot of other things in it that were bent/broken.

Agent Orange
July 3rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
My friend tested an SLI set up before with I think 8800s and for whatever reason it was slower than a single card (may have been a slightly newer card) but he went back to 1 card for gaming which was interesting and not what we expected. But yes it'd be interesting to see. AOs the one I thought we were waiting to receive a video card though. And to see what a pickle barrel is.

My first experience with SLI was around '04 with the 6800. Never used it much for DOS apps, but it seemed to run most of the Windows games fairly well and was plenty fast. The next setup was a Crossfire rig with XFX 5850's, which benchmarks about as good as my new setup with the single XFX 7970. That situation will change this week (hopefully) when my new 7970 arrives to complete the Crossfire setup. On thing that I've found out for sure is that it's all about the drivers. It takes a lot of patience getting the right driver combination to optimize your system - lots of tweaking. I think you're going to be pleased with those twin 8800's.

Unknown_K
July 4th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Ordered an NVIDIA SLI cable (short one, 2") the cards will be pretty close together on this board (and the second slot is 8x not 16x I think). Kind of wondering if they will overheat. Still testing it out next week when I get the cable won't hurt, or I might just get another 8800 GS to SLI on that board. The Power supply is some generic 700W model with 2 6 pin video power plus so it was made for SLI anyway.

At some point the CPU will be a bottleneck with newer games, most reviews of the era seemed to use Core 2 DUOs and not AMD 64's.
Personally I just play DOOM3/Quake 4 and UT 2004 once in a while, still playing Age of Empire 2 online and you don't need a 3d card for that.

Guess I lucked out and both the 8800's work.

Dwight Elvey
July 6th, 2013, 05:43 AM
I seem to buy broken ones more than working.
I'd just bought a decent Nicolet DSO model 490. It was
a fixer. Two of the nobs were broken off and it didn't power on.
On taking the cover off, I found that it had been dropped and
bent the back metal. This had pinched the +5V wire. Opening
it up removed the short.
I bought two new rotary encoder switches from Mouser for $3.23
each.
$100 scope + $50 shipping
$3.22 x 2 + $16 3 day shipping
$3.99 radio shack knobs

Now have a 200MHz sampling scope that even does FFTs.

I'd also recently bought a broken VideoBrain. Turned out to be
broken wires in the power connector.

I tend to like broken ones.
Dwight

Unknown_K
July 8th, 2013, 06:30 PM
The SLI cable came in today. Problem is these cards are fat and the distance between them doesn't allow for enough airflow to one card so I just verified the drivers worked in SLI then took it apart. I will need to use thinner (1") cards in that machine.

For a single BFG 8800 GS OC2 640MB card I get 9223 3DMARK06 V1.2.0
Opteron 1218, Win7 Ultimate x64 , 8GB DDR2-800

Agent Orange
July 8th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Just got back from the annual 4th of July family frolic (Long Lake - Alpena, MI) and the new XFX-7970 Ghost was waiting for me. The original product container was nicely stuffed into a USPS shipper and it arrived in excellent shape. Everything was as advertised, new and in pristine condition. Now, if it works out of the box as nicely as it looks, I'll feel pretty good about the auction. Too late this evening to jump in on the install, but it should all be up and running by tomorrow afternoon - maybe even a benchmark or two to share. :D

AnyoneYoubet
July 9th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Good luck so far with the Ghost.
As a Ebay Buyer/Seller I had good luck both ways, A few years ago I sent many hours reading threw the listings and found what I wanted bought the stuff and was happy with the Items.
I thought I would go full time as a seller and was happily making a few bucks every week.
Soon the tide turned. I was up to 50 to 60 items a week, and You guessed it the fees were eating up the profits.
At the point I stopped selling, I owed in listing , selling and Paypal fees the sum of $250.
What happened was I was listing the wrong items at the wrong time and too many at one time.
The buyer never sees the fees, nor do they like to pay a handling charge for the seller to try to recoup the cost of selling.
I have boxes of stuff that I have more money in than the stuff is worth in the first place.

Agent Orange
July 9th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Installed the new (eBay) XFX 7970 Ghost and the Crossfire setup is now complete. I couldn't be happier with performance so far. Neither 7970 is OC'd at this time and the CPU is only slightly pumped to @4.3 GHz.

Here's a few benchmarks from the first round:

Unknown_K
July 17th, 2013, 03:42 PM
My second 8800 GS 384mb 192bit RAM XFX alpha dog edition came so I tried an SLI with that. Also included the 8800 GTS OC2 card info

Windows 7 ultimate x64, 8GB DDR 800, Opteron 1218 (2.6ghz dual core).

3dmark06
Single 8800 GS 8474 (sm2.0=4069)(HDR/SM3.0=3859)(CPU=1861)
8800 GS SLI 9866 (sm2.0=4219)(HDR/SM3.0=5581)(CPU=1877)
Single 8800GTS 9223 (sm2.0=4825)(HDR/SM3.0=4536)(CPU=1915)

So SLI isn't a big boost or do you need a DX10 benchmark (3dmark06 is DX9 I believe)? The biggest boost seems to be in the HDR/SM3.0 area. I should point out this is an older workstation board and the second PCIE 16x slot is in 8x mode (so that kills bandwidth).

The SLI 8800GS running 3dmark Vantage v1.1.2 gives me 5668 (6794.7 Graphics, 3785.9 CPU).

I will be keeping the AM2 8800GS SLI setup (my first since the Voodoo2 glory days) and probably get a AM3 SLI setup to use the dual BFG 8800 GTS cards later in the year.

Unknown_K
August 10th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I ended up snagging a Supermicro AM2+ motherboard for 8800 GTS SLI. Using Phenom 8650 x3, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 I get 7539 in 3dmark Vantage (8745.9 graphic, 5333.6 CPU).

Clint
August 10th, 2013, 11:10 PM
I buy lots from ebay, I am careful and don't often get stung, I mainly buy things I have a good chance of fixing (obviously); rarely buy anything that works, unless its new, and now in the UK we have the right to return nearly any item up to 14 days - this however does not help much if the item is heavy as postage can hinder that process as the buyer normally pays. That said the UK is small enough for me to be able to road trip most of it :)

Unknown_K
August 12th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Seems like it gets harder to actually receive what you win on ebay lately.

deckardbr
August 16th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Biggest recommendation for ebay as a buyer is only buy from people who have 100% to 99% feedback. If the seller only has listed about 50 items they should have 100%. If someone is dealing in hundreds of items then 99% is ok. I think its safe to say with vintage items that there's going to be something that may be left out of the listing condition wise. If its a good seller they will be truthful and work with you if you find something wrong with the item. The big sellers do not want negative feedback so the more transaction history they have the better.

The one thing to look out for is the "unable to test, as is" part of a description. Never buy that item. The seller has tested the item and finds it doesn't work. Trust me they would find a way to test it and if working sell it for a high price.

Unknown_K
August 16th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Recently I have had a couple 100% 200+ feedback sellers never ship the items, don't reply to email a week or two later, don't even reply to ebay when I open a case, and then have the nerve to ask me after I get the refund and case is closed not to leave a negative they have just shipped the item. One guy promptly refunded my money saying he broke an item (solid plastic breakout panel hard to break) after I snagged it at his BIN price.

Not all sellers are nuts, some still go out of their way to please a buyer. One person was called out of town for a week for work, she promptly refunded my money and said if I still wanted the item she would contact me when she got back home (she did, set up a BIN auction at the winning bid amount and contacted me promptly when she got home). But I swear I have never seen so many deadbeat sellers on ebay these days.

Richard G
August 17th, 2013, 06:21 PM
You boys in the US should try buying anything decent in the UK.

Usually Amiga disk and C64 games - very little else. Good stuff from the US is prohibitively expensive here due to postage.
OK so we can buy BBC micros and Sinclair Speculums fairly cheaply...

Unknown_K
August 17th, 2013, 11:53 PM
There is a dual socket 940 motherboard I want, but it is in Israel and I wonder if it will make it here ok.

marrkede
August 28th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks for sharing the Rule of thumb: Expect any vintage hardware you buy from ebay to be non-functional, even if the seller thinks it.I like this informative post.I am glad to be part of this community.

ip attorneys australia (http://ip-gateway.com.au/)