PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro 10 Hard drive formatting/installation help needed

brain
July 7th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Wokring on getting a K10 up and running. Had a bad ST225, but someone shipped me a working ST251. I have the 14 disk restore disks, but when I run hdskfmt, it completes without error but the submit restore (or whatever the next command is), errors out immediately saying drive write fault.

I have tried a number of things, but I am stuck. Would some kind soul take pity and be able to help? I hate to call it a failure at this point, as I've invested so much time in the unit.

Jim

Chuck(G)
July 7th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Did you reboot after formatting? Can DU access the raw disk correctly?

brain
July 7th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I did not reboot. I am redoing it right now and I will reboot after it finishes. It's on cylinder 14, so it'll take a half hour or so :-).

Du? you mean, like on unix/linux? If so, no, I don't have an MFM controller in any of my machines. If not, there is no util called du on the Kaypro disk I have. Do I need to get a new disk image with du on it?

brain
July 7th, 2013, 06:53 PM
OK, a reboot made a lot of difference. After the reboot, submit reload started doing things. I swear I followed the instructions to the letter in !readme, and it did not say to reboot :-)

Finished swapping in all 14 disks. Rebooted after and it boots from the HDD! Yay!. Thanks, Chuck.

Still not done, looks like, as the initial submit reload was not able to pip b:=a:*.*[g1ov] and when I do dir on a: or b: of the hdd, no files show up. (It says no file). I did a pip b:=a:*.* from the boot disk (disk #1) and it tries to copy files, erroring out saying "Could not close source file a:*.*" after copying a few files.

Jim

Chuck(G)
July 7th, 2013, 07:07 PM
DU is a CP/M utility that's a very useful low-level disk editor. You can find it here (http://www.scovetta.com/archives/walnut-creek/CPM/UTILS/DSKUTL) with tons of other useful programs.

I'd figured that a reboot was necessary, since most CP/M CBIOSes inventory disks at boot time.

phogren
July 8th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Are you getting more than 10 Meg?

brain
July 8th, 2013, 07:09 PM
No, because normal Kaypro won't recognize anything larger. So, some of the 251 is wasted.

Sharkonwheels
July 11th, 2013, 07:21 PM
No, because normal Kaypro won't recognize anything larger. So, some of the 251 is wasted.

You need a TurboRom. It will allow multiple 8MB paritions on that 42Mb HDD.