PDA

View Full Version : Viztek IC Tester Model VZ-4

billdeg
July 18th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Viztek IC Tester Model VZ-4
Anyone worked with this? I want to test LS, S, L, and normal 7400 chips. I spoke with the tech at the company selling the unit, he said yes it will work ... I guess we'll find out, I just ordered one. I have hundreds of unknown chips, plus it will come in handy for testing IC's in vintage boards (esp when socketed). I could not find a Leaper-1A at a reasonable price, which was my first choice.
Bill

UPDATE: Totally flying blind here, seems like no one has any info on this. It was just put on the market in February. I just have to trust that the tech I spoke with knows what he's talking about. I will send an update after I get the unit and try it out.

tingo
July 19th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Where did you order it from, and how much did it cost?

Chuck(G)
July 19th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Won't a lot of inexpensive Chinese EPROM programmers test and identify common TTL chips?

Here's the high-priced cheap brand (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wellon-VP490-VP-490-Programmer-IC-Tester-not-VP-480-/400323643776)

But most of the Wellons have the same testing capability for TTL, from the 290 up to the 990. Many Xeltek models have the same feature.

billdeg
July 19th, 2013, 01:00 PM
http://www.elexp.com/tst_100.htm
Sorry, it's Vizatek (with an A)

Did a lot of checking. The cheaper testers are less reliable, too many false positives/negatives.

Bill

Chuck(G)
July 19th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Well, basically all of them have pin drivers (just like an EPROM programmer) and the devil's in the software. In your case, it appears that the smarts are in a dedicated MCU.

I've played with a few of these and found them to be moderately useful. Don't expect one to diagnose uncommon or complex parts, such as 74LS462 or 74S225 or 74S481, Fairchild Macrologic, or a host of other ICs. If the thing can test DRAMs, so much the better.

What I didn't see was a listing of the ICs that the tester actually knows about.

billdeg
July 25th, 2013, 04:41 AM
got the tester. Works OK so far. I will really find out after I work through my SOL-20's chips.