PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Portable 3

k2x4b524[
July 21st, 2013, 08:28 PM
Good Evening,
I have decided to pop my compaq portable 3 out of his hidey-hole, and begin cleaning him up and getting ready for actual use.

A couple of questions however;

How much ram is supported on the mainboard? There are 2 30-pin simm slots, in what appear to be 1mb denominations, compaq only sees 640kb however, MSD reports 8mb total
How would i go about adding a larger HDD and a 3.5" HD drive to this thing? I found a drive type table and it appears to support around 250mb, of which i have some drives around that size.
Will running an 80287-10 @ 12 mhz kill it, or will it just run a wee bit hotter?

I've got an 8mb intel above board and a network board that i want to put in. I'm also thinking about finding a way to put in a wireless bridge, similar to others in the forum have done, it's got the space.

RWallmow
July 22nd, 2013, 06:05 AM
Good Evening,
I have decided to pop my compaq portable 3 out of his hidey-hole, and begin cleaning him up and getting ready for actual use.

A couple of questions however;

How much ram is supported on the mainboard? There are 2 30-pin simm slots, in what appear to be 1mb denominations, compaq only sees 640kb however, MSD reports 8mb total
How would i go about adding a larger HDD and a 3.5" HD drive to this thing? I found a drive type table and it appears to support around 250mb, of which i have some drives around that size.
Will running an 80287-10 @ 12 mhz kill it, or will it just run a wee bit hotter?

I've got an 8mb intel above board and a network board that i want to put in. I'm also thinking about finding a way to put in a wireless bridge, similar to others in the forum have done, it's got the space.

It will only see 640K on the board with the 2 SIMMs, there is an additional memory board that fits near the modem for more (I think like 2MB or 4MB MAX IIRC). Beyond that, an ISA card is needed for more RAM, with the compaq memory boards being rare, I have all my memory (beyond 640k) on an ISA card, its the most cost effective way past 640k.

HDD is IDE, stick in whatever IDE drive you want and either use DDO software (like ontrack) to overcome the 520MB limit of the BIOS, OR use the XT-IDE BIOS (https://code.google.com/p/xtideuniversalbios/) burned to an EEPROM in the Boot-ROM socket on your Network Card.

I thought the Portable III ran at 12Mhz stock?

I am sure you could fit a wifi bridge inside the ISA "backpack" along with your NIC, I know you could tap 5 and 12 volt power from the slots to power it (I would actually prefer to tap one of your ISA cards itself for the power, then there is no permanent mod to the Portable itself).

k2x4b524[
July 22nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
It does run stock 12mhx, and can do 16, if the spec sheet i found is correct. I really would like to add a 3.5" floppy drive to this thing somehow, but i don't have a 1/3 height adapters for such a drive, and no backpack drive available either at the moment. I've heard it's possible to network dos and win 7 together, so i may go that route with mTCP. Any advice would be welcomed :)

RWallmow
July 22nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
It does run stock 12mhx, and can do 16, if the spec sheet i found is correct. I really would like to add a 3.5" floppy drive to this thing somehow, but i don't have a 1/3 height adapters for such a drive, and no backpack drive available either at the moment. I've heard it's possible to network dos and win 7 together, so i may go that route with mTCP. Any advice would be welcomed :)

I brought up the 12mhz because you asked like you wanted to overclock it to that, when it runs at that from the factory, yeah, I never looked into overclocking, but 16mhz 286's certainly exist so may be possible

Look for the 3.5" floppy drive from a Celeron / Pentium III era Deskpro model, its a perfect fit, I might have one, I can dig and let you know.

I network my Portable III to my NAS, I use the MS-NET client (http://www.acrpc.net/utils/ms-net.zip) to map a network drive in DOS to my NAS (you will need to change the protocol from netbeui to tcp/ip during install of MS-NET). It is possible to use this direct to a Win7 box too, but there is some additional config in Win 7 because Win7 expects higher encryption and some other things that DOS MS-NET cant do, its a lot easier to map to a XP or older box, or a samba based share.

k2x4b524[
July 26th, 2013, 10:24 PM
i've found a 3.5" floppy drive, 1/3rd height from an old ast that went kaput. i've found guides that say how to dismantle the portable 3, and that i can have 2 floppies or 1 floppy and a hard drive. if there a way to have my cake and eat it too with this?
no don't want to overclock the 286 i want to add a 287 but the only speed i've got is 10mhz for the 287. Will running it at 12 kill the copro?

RWallmow
July 27th, 2013, 03:50 AM
i've found a 3.5" floppy drive, 1/3rd height from an old ast that went kaput. i've found guides that say how to dismantle the portable 3, and that i can have 2 floppies or 1 floppy and a hard drive. if there a way to have my cake and eat it too with this?
no don't want to overclock the 286 i want to add a 287 but the only speed i've got is 10mhz for the 287. Will running it at 12 kill the copro?
If you used a laptop HD or DOM/SSD you might be able to squeeze all 3 in there, but its a tight fit in that drive cage.

As for the 287 I know MOST systems run the 287 at a slower clock than the main 286, however I don't know if the Portable III is one of those systems, you would need to check the manuals to be 100% sure tha the 287 is clocked slower.

arrow_runner
July 27th, 2013, 08:26 AM
I used an IDE-CF adapter and was able to squezze two floppy drives and the CF drive in my model III. It's still a very tight fit because of the ribbon cables.

NeXT
July 27th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I was able to install a larger capacity IDE drive in mine without the need for a DDO. There's a couple of those "enhanced BIOS" ISA cards you plug in and they add autodetect functionality. Pop one in and run the configuration utility and it will assign the drive to some random hard coded drive type, from then on you can format the drive and remove the card and somehow the computer still sees its full capacity.

RWallmow
July 27th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I was able to install a larger capacity IDE drive in mine without the need for a DDO. There's a couple of those "enhanced BIOS" ISA cards you plug in and they add autodetect functionality. Pop one in and run the configuration utility and it will assign the drive to some random hard coded drive type, from then on you can format the drive and remove the card and somehow the computer still sees its full capacity.

I would prefer the XTIDE BIOS (16-bit/AT version) in the BOOT ROM slot of a NIC, then you get double use out of one ISA slot, good since there's only 2 available in the portable III's "expansion backpack".

RWallmow
July 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I used an IDE-CF adapter and was able to squezze two floppy drives and the CF drive in my model III. It's still a very tight fit because of the ribbon cables.

Should have mentioned the CF card option, but its basically the same as a DOM, just cheaper and easier to come by ;-)

k2x4b524[
July 27th, 2013, 11:28 AM
well, i do have a 64mb CF card hooked into an adapter right now, the whole thing can be unscrewed and attached elsewhere. I found the setup disks i made for it, the internal drive type table shows the portable 3 can natively support over 540mb, which is good, as i might be able to throw a 1gb flash drive at it with no hitch, i've got an XT-IDE Board i can borrow the rom from *my rom burner met a very vary bad end, so did the 100+ blank roms i had* :( i'll start with the compaq flash, and my 287-10 and see what happens