PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Hard Drive in a PC XT

CannedBread
July 25th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Hello, I have a couple of questions concerning replacing a floppy drive with an ST-225 hard drive in an IBM 5155. I have a Western Digital WD1004A-WX1 MFM controller card, and the ST-225 hard drive; but I am missing a few things.

Does anyone know where I could find mfm cables in the UK (or with cheap postage from US)?

Also, the controller card does not have a blanking plate (is that what it's called?), and I have no idea where I can find one that I can attach to the card, most are just blank.

In the IBM 5155, the hard drive does not seem to fit in the slot with the bezel on, as it is too wide. Does it need to be sanded down to fit a 5155?

What should I do with the unused connector on the floppy cable; can I just leave it as is, or do I need a single one?

Finally, I have original IBM DOS 3.3 Startup and Operating disks, can I install DOS on the hard drive with those?

Sorry for so many questions, but I have not been able to find out how to do this on the web. Thank you

curtis
July 25th, 2013, 05:04 AM
I'll dig through my cable box. I think I may have a set.

Didn't the drive come with the front plate?

Good luck on finding the blanking plate. That name is as good as any! Might try fitting a normal blanking plate from another case, if you have one. Of course you'll have to trim it down. Again, let me dig around in my spare parts box and see if I might have anything that'll fit.

Yes, the 5155 drives are just a tad bid narrower! Really irritating. Sanding down works fine. Dremel tool is faster, but be careful to not overdo it. Ask me how I know...

Yeah, you can just leave the extra connector dangling. Might try to do a little cable management because space is TIGHT inside a 5155!.

Oh, you'll probably have to low level format the hard drive. IF I remember correctly, the command is
debug: <return>
g=c800:5 <return>

You should be presented with a screen asking for parameters on the hard drive. Those should be on the case of the drive somewhere.

After it is low-level formatted, boot from the floppy go to fdisk, assign the primary partition, then the computer will probably reboot. Format the drive then copy the DOS files over and you're done!

As you might have gathered, installing an MFM drive is a bit annoying. That's why IDE drives became so popular. Drop them in, format, install OS, DONE!

Good luck.

Curtis

Stone
July 25th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Does anyone know where I could find mfm cables in the UK (or with cheap postage from US)?

Also, the controller card does not have a blanking plate (is that what it's called?), and I have no idea where I can find one that I can attach to the card, most are just blank.I have the cables you want but, like you said, it would cost about $15 just to ship them.

I also have some 'slot covers', if that's what you mean by blanking plate. I have some with two mounting brackets in various positions but your card would have to have the holes in the correct position(s) to match the bracket's mounts. I also have a WD controller with no 'slot cover' attached to it. It has a small plastic flange on top with the necessary slot to securely screw it to the case mounting hole. I tried mounting it on top of a standard 'slot cover' and the combo worked fine. You could think about that.

curtis
July 25th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I think what he's looking for is the front panel cover not the back slot cover.

Of course I could be wrong...just ask my 2 ex-wives!

Stone
July 25th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I think what he's looking for is the front panel cover not the back slot cover.

Of course I could be wrong...just ask my 2 ex-wives!I'm with your 2 exes.... at least on this one, sorry. :-) I think he's got an expansion card with no slot cover attached to it.

CannedBread
July 25th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Sorry, yes a slot cover is what I meant. The holes are 80mm and 88mm apart:

Stone: If curtis doesn't have the cables, could I pay for yours and a slot cover (If you have one that fits)? Thanks.

Thank you for the quick responses!

Stone
July 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM
The biggest spread I have is 70mm apart. Go measure yours again.

CannedBread
July 25th, 2013, 03:31 PM
It's definitely around 80mm and 88mm. I think I've found what I need here though: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1567447/ (type L)

Thank you for your help with the bracket; how much would you want for the cables?

Stone
July 25th, 2013, 03:50 PM
You're looking for a single (not dual) drive control ribbon cable and one data ribbon cable, right?

CannedBread
July 25th, 2013, 05:04 PM
That's what I understood I need. I have 1 hard drive, so I assume something these:

curtis
July 27th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Well, I struck out all the way around!

No cables and no plates front or back.

Sorry man.

Good luck in your quest.

Curtis

bettablue
July 28th, 2013, 06:57 PM
That's what I understood I need. I have 1 hard drive, so I assume something these:

I have two mfm drives installed in my 5150 PC, plulus there are two additional drives installed into my 5161 expansion unit and yes, they are standard Western Digital controllers. I hope this helps.

CannedBread
August 1st, 2013, 10:55 AM
Does anyone know somewhere that might sell the cables?

pearce_jj
August 1st, 2013, 11:07 AM
Have you considered running CompactFlash in the 5155? That way you can keep the appearance stock and get faster, reliable fixed disk storage without adding any load to the PSU :)

Robin4
August 11th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Maybe tried ebay??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MFM-RLL-hard-drive-Short-cable-set-/330985997248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d104d83c0

CannedBread
August 29th, 2013, 03:51 AM
I've got the hard drive installed properly with the WD 1004A-WX1 controller card, but I've still got a few problems. After counting all the memory, it waits for about 15 seconds before giving me a 1702 error. I checked the bios and it is from 11/8/82, so I believe that makes it capable of running the controller card. After running through the low level format program, I get an 80 error and then it resets. I'm pretty sure the cables are the right way round; are there some settings I've missed?

Also, the ST225's light doesn't come on at all, and it makes a clicking sound on start-up.

Stone
August 29th, 2013, 04:22 AM
A 1702 error could indicate a faulty controller.

MikeS
August 29th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Also, the ST225's light doesn't come on at all, and it makes a clicking sound on start-up.Clicking sound's usually not good news; does the drive actually spin up?

modem7
August 29th, 2013, 11:25 PM
and it makes a clicking sound on start-up.
I would not be too worried about that at this time. The ticking sound is not good, but it does not mean that the drive is unusable. If the sound that you are hearing is the sound that I'm thinking of, then it was well known in ST-225s. I think it used to be called the 'knock of death' (i.e. drive might fail soon). I'm sure that one of my ST-225s (in storage) makes a ticking/knocking sound at start up, but works.

I checked the bios and it is from 11/8/82, so I believe that makes it capable of running the controller card.
Yes.

After running through the low level format program, I get an 80 error and then it resets.

Also, the ST225's light doesn't come on at all
A low-level format of an ST-225 will take about a couple of minutes, and during that time, the ST-225's LED will be on.

I'm pretty sure the cables are the right way round
Take a look at the diagram [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5160/misc/5160_hard_drive_cabling_single.jpg)]. Is is for the Xebec made IBM card supplied in the 5160, but it applies to the WD1004A-WX1 as well (J1 for the control cable, J2 for the drive 0 data cable).

Do you have your cabling per that diagram?

If so, do you have the drive-select jumper on the ST-225 set to the first position? In the case of an ST-225, the first position is DS1 (options are DS1/DS2/DS3/DS4).

bettablue
August 30th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I have to agree with modem7. There are quite a few drives out there making a series of tapping noise. I have a Xebec, and a Control Data Systems (CDS) hard disc installed in my expansion unit. Sadly, too many people will automatically assume their hard disc is bad just because it makes a tapping, clicking, or whirring sound. Just because a particular drive makes a bit of noise, doesn't automatically mean it should be replaced. In fact, some hard disc drives seem to work best when it makes a whirring, or clicking noise.

modem7
August 30th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Something else to be considered is the WD1004A-WX1.
A question is, has the WD1004A-WX1 been correctly jumpered?
There is a WD1004A-WX1 installation guide [here (http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/W/D/1/0/WD1004A-WXI.shtml)].
The default jumpering, as shown in the manual, suits an ST-225 being used in an XT.

I have to agree with modem7.
You don't have to. I consider the debt fully paid. :)

CannedBread
November 23rd, 2013, 03:50 AM
It's been a while, but I finally formatted and partitioned the hard drive. The issue now is, I tried formatting the hard drive a number of times, and it kept saying format failure. I finally got it to format, and it instantly said

Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable
Format failure

does this mean the hard drive is bad, or the low level format? Thanks

Stone
November 23rd, 2013, 04:01 AM
Unfortunately it's probably the drive itself that's bad. Track 0 bad is not too uncommon on older drives. Hehehehe, I've got a pile of them. :cursemad: