PDA

View Full Version : Power Cords

bettablue
July 27th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Hello again all of my friends: :)

I am starting to looking for shorter power cords to first; plug in my Miro-Solutions' surge protector, then a 2 Ft power supply cord to supply with 3 - 1 ft power supply cords to shorten all of the power supply cords. Ultimately, I want to plug into all of the main peripherals into the surge protector and clean up some of the messiness behind the main PC and expansion unit.

When finished, I hope to clean up a lot of the mess caused by using standard surge protector and it's use of the standard length power cords. Of course, I would like to spend as little as possible, so please tell me what you have, and wow much you want for the shortened power cords. Then we'll see what kind of deal we can make.

Thanks much.:dogrun:

Chuck(G)
July 27th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Well, Cables Online (http://www.cablesonline.com/expoco.html) has some pretty short ones (how's 10"?). Everything I have is either 2 or 3 m (6-9' roughly) and I've got garbage bags full of them. But no shorties, sorry. Mostly, I just loop the long cords up and secure them with a couple of cable ties. Maybe not as pretty as a short cord, but at least it doesn't get tangled.

Stone
July 27th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Same here... I've got hundreds of power cables and they're all 5' - 10'. I could shorten some but that would make them look like a snake after dinner. :-)

Maverick1978
July 27th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Tom, I often go the KISS route when cord length starts getting the best of me - usually by using zipties to control the extra length. Not quite as nice as short power cords, but much much cheaper and nearly as functional!

SpidersWeb
July 28th, 2013, 12:39 AM
You can buy (cheaply) new plugs, so to make a cable shorter you just cut it to whatever length is needed and fit the new plug.
Should be a 5 minute job with a screwdriver and something to cut the cable with (wire stripper probably handy too).

If you can get the lengths you need off here, awesome, but if not then you have a backup plan :)

I have to do it all the time when I order tools etc from China.

Caluser2000
July 28th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Yeah making your own is easy enough.

Compgeke
July 28th, 2013, 12:52 PM
If you look around for older HP printers they often had 2' cords on them that go into their power brick, as the power brick has a 10' or so cord.

Unfortunately I only have 2 of those, and they're in use for a server (work great for making sure excess wire isn't hanging). The rest are 5' through 20'.