PDA

View Full Version : ISA XT Sound card list

fmartine
August 1st, 2013, 07:55 AM
hi , i need a complete list of ISA XT 8 bit sound card sound blaster compatible, i know that exists also some EISA AT sound card that works also on XT machines, any one know a list of them? thanks for your time

SpidersWeb
August 1st, 2013, 11:50 AM
Just a heads up, AT cards aren't EISA, just 16 bit ISA.
EISA is 32bit and was around in the 386/486 era and you don't really see it very often - usually used for high performance applications e.g. 100mbit network or SCSI

Most ISA sound cards will work, a 16 bit Sound Blaster Pro is a common choice, for collectors the 8bit Adlib (not SB compat, but lots of old games had support) or SoundBlaster 2.0 cards would be more fitting. I'd look for one that is configured using jumpers so you don't need to worry about software being 8088 compatible.

fmartine
August 1st, 2013, 12:07 PM
i already tested a sound blaster 16 isa xt, it works only with NECV30 CPU, with my 8086 Intel i have problems.... i need another brand of sound cards, but tested on xt isa!

Stone
August 1st, 2013, 12:35 PM
You need an 8-bit card, not a 16-bit card. And, FWIW, all XTs are ISA. :-)

fmartine
August 1st, 2013, 01:12 PM
You need an 8-bit card, not a 16-bit card. And, FWIW, all XTs are ISA. :-)

xt sound card are very rare and expensive on ebay, i can't find them with a low price in italy, this is why i'm looking for an AT ISA sound card that works also on XT ISA slot,

SpidersWeb
August 1st, 2013, 01:30 PM
i already tested a sound blaster 16 isa xt, it works only with NECV30 CPU, with my 8086 Intel i have problems.... i need another brand of sound cards, but tested on xt isa!
The 8 bit slot isn't the problem. It's the configuration software.
You want a model that uses physical jumpers, like the early SoundBlaster Pro which don't need software to configure them.

If you find a card on ebay etc, post a few links and we'll be able to say yes or no.
The most important thing you're looking for is configuration jumpers for the audio - address, IRQ, DMA etc (not CDROM jumpers, they don't matter)

SpidersWeb
August 1st, 2013, 01:49 PM
Here is another thread discussing it: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/archive/index.php/t-35099.html
And here is a CT1740 card, cheap, SoundBlaster 16 that doesn't need diagnose.exe (you just set the jumpers and 8 bit sound etc will be perfect).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-ISA-Sound-Card-Creative-Sound-Blaster-16-CT1740-w-IDE-Controller-/190865730438?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accesso ries&hash=item2c707beb86

NB: you will need to make sure IRQ is at 7 AND you wont be able to use that CDROM connector of course

fmartine
August 2nd, 2013, 01:14 AM
Here is another thread discussing it: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/archive/index.php/t-35099.html
And here is a CT1740 card, cheap, SoundBlaster 16 that doesn't need diagnose.exe (you just set the jumpers and 8 bit sound etc will be perfect).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-ISA-Sound-Card-Creative-Sound-Blaster-16-CT1740-w-IDE-Controller-/190865730438?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accesso ries&hash=item2c707beb86

NB: you will need to make sure IRQ is at 7 AND you wont be able to use that CDROM connector of course

thanks for the info,do you know where i can buy it for a low price ? I checked on ebay but it's expensive every where

SpidersWeb
August 2nd, 2013, 03:59 AM
I've gotten mine in the past just by keeping an eye on local sales (mostly online) usually for a dollar or so.
So keep looking or maybe post in the wanted section on here for a sound card that is configured with jumpers.

vwestlife
August 2nd, 2013, 06:20 AM
My only 8-bit ISA sound card is a Packard Bell OEM Aztech Sound Galaxy BX II, which is really just a Sound Blaster (2.0?) clone. Its OPL2 MIDI sounds a lot different than the OPL3 in newer sound cards, and it came with a neat little DOS MIDI file player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JuXXRAHios

pearce_jj
August 2nd, 2013, 08:59 AM
What we really need is a hacked diagnose.exe that will run on 8088. Someone made a start on it, but it proved complicated and time consuming to disassemble.

raifield
August 3rd, 2013, 02:25 AM
I managed to get an 8-bit SB 1.0 clone, the ATI Stereo F/X, complete with CMS chips for $40 on eBay. There are a few on eBay now for $90, but mine was listed as $160 and the seller accepted my offer. The cards don't use hardware jumpers, but their setup program is 8086-compatible and worked without issues in my IBM Model 25.

Trixter
August 4th, 2013, 12:42 PM

Most (if not all) of the Pro Audio Spectrum cards will work in an 8-bit XT ISA slot.

fmartine
August 6th, 2013, 06:41 AM
do you sell it?

Trixter
August 6th, 2013, 07:10 AM
thanks for the info,do you know where i can buy it for a low price ? I checked on ebay but it's expensive every where

Keep looking for any of the following:

Pro Audio Spectrum (any)
Sound Blaster 1.0/1.5/2.0
Sound Blaster Pro (any)
Media Vision Thunderboard

These will work in an 8-bit ISA slot and an 8088 processor. If you don't need digital sound output and only want music and sound effects, an Adlib or clone will also work.

What we really need is a hacked diagnose.exe that will run on 8088. Someone made a start on it, but it proved complicated and time consuming to disassemble.

My RE skills have increased since then (I've been researching RealSound for an article and gotten more practice) so I decided to give it another shot yesterday. After a little work, I did a conservative estimate and it decided it would take me about an entire month to try to come up with a functional version, so I'm (still) abandoning the project. There are hundreds of ENTER/LEAVE combos to convert; it's just too much work for very little benefit as there is nothing that could actually USE a Sound Blaster 16 to full advantage on an 808x machine anyway. Nothing that can produce 44.1KHz 16-bit stereo sound (games, mod players) would run fast enough on such a machine.

do you sell it?

Next year, yes, but not right now. You really should check ebay again, it only takes about a week or so before you find one of the above cards at a reasonable price.

Trixter
August 6th, 2013, 07:20 AM
xt sound card are very rare and expensive on ebay,

Here's a list of cards under $30, all of which should work: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sound+blaster+isa+-awe64+-ct2940+-ct2800+-ct4520+-ct3620+-ct2770+-ct4170+-ct2330+-ct4380+-ct2230+-vibra+-ct3910+-ct3670+-ct2950+-ct3600+-ct2980+-ct2960+-ct4180+-ct2970+-ct4150+-ct2190+-ess+-dell+-crystal&_udlo=0&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_PrefLoc=2&_udhi=30&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xsound+blaste r+isa+-awe64+-ct2940+-ct2800+-ct4520+-ct3620+-ct2770+-ct4170+-ct233&_nkw=sound+blaster+isa+-awe64+-ct2940+-ct2800+-ct4520+-ct3620+-ct2770+-ct4170+-ct2330+-ct4380+-ct2230+-vibra+-ct3910+-ct3670+-ct2950+-ct3600+-ct2980+-ct2960+-ct4180+-ct2970+-ct4150+-ct2190+-ess+-dell+-crystal+-logic+-chips&_sacat=0

Here's a Pro Audio Spectrum (search for "media vision"): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ISA-Sound-Card-by-MediaVision-w-50-pin-SCSI-Controller-1993-/190870766884?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accesso ries&hash=item2c70c8c524

I know that international shipping will make your search a little harder, but you definitely have some options.

fmartine
August 6th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Keep looking for any of the following:

Pro Audio Spectrum (any)
Sound Blaster 1.0/1.5/2.0
Sound Blaster Pro (any)
Media Vision Thunderboard

http://www.ebay.it/itm/AZTECH-MM-PRO-16IIB-3D-FP-6L-0D-ISA-Audio-Sound-Card-/230850675562?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_So undCards&hash=item35bfc5c36a

this one works for sure on XT bus?

Trixter
August 6th, 2013, 08:31 AM
For sure, no. But I believe it does as I think the 16-bit portion of the card is only for the CDROM interface which you won't be using. At only 11 euro, you can afford to take a chance, right?

fmartine
August 6th, 2013, 08:52 AM
For sure, no. But I believe it does as I think the 16-bit portion of the card is only for the CDROM interface which you won't be using. At only 11 euro, you can afford to take a chance, right?

only 11 euro?!!? the real value is 1 euro max!! I also tested an Aztech AZT2330 chipset, it doesn't work.... i don't want to waste more money i need a 100% tested card on xt system

Trixter
August 6th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Then keep looking for any original Sound Blaster 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, or Sound Blaster Pro v1 card, or any Media Vision card (Pro Audio Spectrum).

fmartine
August 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM

yes, i confirm that diagnose.exe doesn't work on xt system, but diagnose.exe /s works fine in XT system that uses NEC V30 CPU!! But now i had to go back to the original Intel 8086 and diagnose.exe /s doesn't work!!! An hacked (or compatible) version of diagnose.exe could be the best solution

Dca2
August 9th, 2013, 06:44 AM
yes, i confirm that diagnose.exe doesn't work on xt system, but diagnose.exe /s works fine in XT system that uses NEC V30 CPU!! But now i had to go back to the original Intel 8086 and diagnose.exe /s doesn't work!!! An hacked (or compatible) version of diagnose.exe could be the best solution

If DIAGNOSE.EXE or CTCM.EXE is the only barrier preventing your SB16 from working on a 8088 XT, then you might have another chance to try with my little program here:

CT4170.zip (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13480&d=1369360615)

The theory is that most of the jumper-free SB16 cards are PnP standard compliant. So, it's possible to write my own resource manager for SB16 card according to the well documented ISA PnP Specification (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.osdever.net%2Fdocuments%2FPNP-ISA-v1.0a.pdf&ei=_tqbUfGJFaGDywGEj4C4DA&usg=AFQjCNGFUTbBQlH23YgxrqJCP5yvFjhjNA&sig2=-0DaLjDnCQfQNvbALeVy9w&bvm=bv.46751780,d.aWM).

This little program will set up IRQ, DMA and I/O for a SB16 PnP card according to the BLASTER environment variable. So, the best way is to invoke it in the AUTOEXEC.BAT and position it *after* the 'BLASTER' environment. It wont stay in memory (non-TSR). I've successfully put a SB16 Vibra (CT4170) working in my 8088 XT box (refer to this thread (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?37378-My-1st-hand-experience-on-a-2nd-hand-8088)). Despite of its file name being CT4170.exe, I believe that it should work with other PnP SB card by Creative Labs. I would appreciate if more people could give it more tests and making it an useful tool. But be aware that only minority of SB16 PnP ISA cards are compatible with 8-bit ISA slot by hardware nature, if you are lucky to have one and bothered by running DIAGNOSE.EXE or CTCM.EXE on 8088, this program could be an work around.

Great Hierophant
August 9th, 2013, 07:07 AM
The software configurable IRQ and DMA SB16s only require a value sent to the mixer registers 81 and 82 for IRQ and DMA, respectively. They should be easy enough to manage.

fmartine
August 9th, 2013, 07:42 AM
I would appreciate if more people could give it more tests and making it an useful tool. But be aware that only minority of SB16 PnP ISA cards are compatible with 8-bit ISA slot by hardware nature, if you are lucky to have one and bothered by running DIAGNOSE.EXE or CTCM.EXE on 8088, this program could be an work around.

i tested your ct4170.zip with my olivetti m240 xt machine, dos 6.22 , sound blaster 16 value CT2770 , it freeze the system

Dca2
August 9th, 2013, 07:50 AM
The software configurable IRQ and DMA SB16s only require a value sent to the mixer registers 81 and 82 for IRQ and DMA, respectively. They should be easy enough to manage.

Yeah, my issue was that the mixer registers have to be addressable prior to send any value to them. Many PnP SB16 cards do not initialize themselves at the default address (0x220, 0x388...etc.) after power-on. For these cards, they have to be isolated from other PnP cards first, and then activated in configure mode in order to change their resources. Maybe I just missed some obvious shortcuts/spec of SB16s. If so, the solution would be as elegant as a few DEBUG commands.

Dca2
August 9th, 2013, 08:02 AM
i tested your ct4170.zip with my olivetti m240 xt machine, dos 6.22 , sound blaster 16 value CT2770 , it freeze the system

Thank you for the feedback. A Google search (http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multimedia/CREATIVE-LABS-INC-Sound-card-SOUNDBLASTER-VALUE-16.html#.UgUQoxjTPqY) found that the CT2770 seems not to be a PnP card, which is actually a good new as you don't need any program since the card resources are managed by jumpers.

Edit: having looked more at the CT2770 card, I found that the CT2770 could be special because it has jumpers for I/O address but does not have jumpers for IRQ and DMAs. Maybe it is a perfect instance that could be handled by sending values to mixer registers (mentioned by Great Hierophant). But I haven't tried it yet.

fmartine
August 9th, 2013, 08:20 AM
A Google search[/URL] found that the CT2770 seems not to be a PnP card, which is actually a good new as you don't need any program since the card resources are managed by jumpers.

your are wrong, CT2770 is a PNP card , no jumpers on it for irq or dma

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multimedia/CREATIVE-LABS-INC-Sound-card-SOUNDBLASTER-VALUE-16.html#.UgUXFNL0GPo

it works on XT machine using diagnose.exe /s option at startup , but only if i use necv30 cpu, with a normal intel 8086 cpu diagnose /s freeze

Great Hierophant
August 9th, 2013, 09:01 AM
your are wrong, CT2770 is a PNP card , no jumpers on it for irq or dma

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multimedia/CREATIVE-LABS-INC-Sound-card-SOUNDBLASTER-VALUE-16.html#.UgUXFNL0GPo

it works on XT machine using diagnose.exe /s option at startup , but only if i use necv30 cpu, with a normal intel 8086 cpu diagnose /s freeze

The CT2770 is NOT an ISA Plug'N'Play card! It has jumpers to select the Base I/O Address, which no true ISA PnP card has.

There are three kinds of SB16s, the fully hardware jumper configurable cards like the CT1740, the partially partially software configurable cards like the CT2770, and the ISA PnP cards like the CT2940. ISA PnP is a very different and much more complex beast than the simple software configurable options on the middle cards.

DIAGNOSE.EXE works with all three types, but it sets the IRQ and DMA only with the partially software configurable cards. ISA PnP cards require CTCM.EXE and CTCU.EXE to initialize and configure the card, respectively, a PnP operating system like Windows 95 or the CT4170 utility given in this thread.

fmartine
August 9th, 2013, 09:24 AM
There are three kinds of SB16s, the fully hardware jumper configurable cards like the CT1740, the partially partially software configurable cards like the CT2770, and the ISA PnP cards like the CT2940

yes, i've ordered a CT1730 on ebay from uk, i'll use that one with jumpers it's the best solution

Dca2
August 9th, 2013, 10:12 AM
There are three kinds of SB16s, the fully hardware jumper configurable cards like the CT1740, the partially partially software configurable cards like the CT2770, and the ISA PnP cards like the CT2940. ISA PnP is a very different and much more complex beast than the simple software configurable options on the middle cards.

I never realized the existence of the middle cards. It inspires me to play with its mixer register tricks as it sounds to me like a simple achievable goal. I'll report back once I got the hardware card.

vwestlife
August 9th, 2013, 11:57 AM
There are three kinds of SB16s, the fully hardware jumper configurable cards like the CT1740, the partially partially software configurable cards like the CT2770, and the ISA PnP cards like the CT2940.

And don't forget the dreaded "Vibra" cards! At that point the SB16 name had become so famous that they were slapping it on all of their low-end cards, no matter the chipset.

Great Hierophant
August 13th, 2013, 08:48 PM
And don't forget the dreaded "Vibra" cards! At that point the SB16 name had become so famous that they were slapping it on all of their low-end cards, no matter the chipset.

Indeed, although not all ViBRA cards are created equal, see here : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/07/sound-blaster-16-trials-and-tribulations.html

fmartine
August 18th, 2013, 12:47 PM
CT1730 is arrived, sold to me as working (tested last time 10 years ago or more)...
I'm testing it, first i noticed that the board il labeled CT1730 in one side, on the opposite side is marker CT1740....
according to stason.org and more internet web sites i found the jumper description of the board

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multimedia/CREATIVE-LABS-INC-Sound-card-SOUNDBLASTER-16-ASP-C.html#.UhEwutL0GPo

if i try to set jumpers for 16 bit dma the card freeze the system at start-up (it's normal my system is an xt isa so it can't works).
If i don't set in any way16 bit dma jumpers the system boot and seems working.
Joystick port is tested and working, midi sound is tested and working, the card is recognised as sound blaster from any games correctly but....
digital sound not works in any way!!! I tryed to set low 8 bit dma channel in any way, dma 0 block same games, dma 3 freeze the system on start-up, dma 1 seems to works fine but i get no sigital sounds in any game...
i tryed to change irq jumpers with any differenze, i'll make more tests tomorow .
On this board there are 2 jumper connector J1 and J2,they are no documentation on it (unkonwn configuration), anyonne know how the must be set up?
is ti possible that the board is damaged?
What's CSP jumper setting configuration?

Trixter
August 18th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Because you are putting it in an XT and it won't boot, if you have a hard drive, it is likely that your hard drive is set to IRQ5. Set the SB16 to either IRQ7 (usually for LPT1 parallel ports) or IRQ2 (usually for chaining to 9 but you don't have 9 because it's an XT).

DMA should be set to 1 and port to 220h. Those are the only reliable settings that will get you digital sound.

Make sure you test games that actually have digital sound in them. What games were you testing? There are not many games that have digital sound in them that run on XTs. Here's a list of games that should work to some degree:

Prince of Persia
(the opening scenes of) Stellar 7 and Rise of the Dragon
Tongue of the Fatman (opening scene where you select the fighter, should say "Mondo welcomes you to the fight palace!")
4-D Sports Boxing (digital drums in the music)
Stunt Driver (only playable if you have your NEC V20 in though, and set all detail to minimum)
Fire Hawk: Thexder II
Countdown

You can also give "8088 Corruption" a try: http://www.oldskool.org/pc/8088_Corruption/8088flex.zip Run it with the command-line "8088FLEX 8088_COR.TMV". 8088FLEX.EXE is in the COMPILED\ directory in the .zip file.

fmartine
August 18th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Because you are putting it in an XT and it won't boot, if you have a hard drive, it is likely that your hard drive is set to IRQ5. Set the SB16 to either IRQ7 (usually for LPT1 parallel ports) or IRQ2 (usually for chaining to 9 but you don't have 9 because it's an XT).

DMA should be set to 1 and port to 220h. Those are the only reliable settings that will get you digital sound.

Make sure you test games that actually have digital sound in them. What games were you testing?

it boots actually, i test the sound card with 100% tested and working games that use digital sounds like prince of persia and wolfstein 3d

Trixter
August 18th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Wolfenstein 3D doesn't work on XTs, so your response is confusing.

Set your SB16 to IRQ2, port 220h, and DMA 1. Try more games. Try the DIAGNOSE sound blaster setup software to see if it produces any audio.

SpidersWeb
August 18th, 2013, 02:55 PM
After changing the IRQ, you may also need to add a SET BLASTER line to autoexec.bat. Some games use this to work out where the SoundBlaster is.

e.g SET BLASTER=A220 I2 D1 T2

(if it's set to the configuration Trixter mentioned above)

fmartine
August 18th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Wolfenstein 3D doesn't work on XTs, so your response is confusing.

Set your SB16 to IRQ2, port 220h, and DMA 1. Try more games. Try the DIAGNOSE sound blaster setup software to see if it produces any audio.

the one that is confuing is you...
i'm using wolftstain 3d recompiled version for 8086 cpu
diagnose is for pnp cards, my card is with jumpers and also as i wrote in this post diagnose.exe doesn't work on xt machines based on intel cpu (it was working only with my old nec v30 cpu using command diagnose.exe /s)
prince of persia must work with a sound blaster card so it's a perfect test
if the card is correctly working it will works with all sound blaster supported games

fmartine
August 18th, 2013, 03:33 PM
After changing the IRQ, you may also need to add a SET BLASTER line to autoexec.bat. Some games use this to work out where the SoundBlaster is.

e.g SET BLASTER=A220 I2 D1 T2

(if it's set to the configuration Trixter mentioned above)

i already made this test ,no difference

Trixter
August 18th, 2013, 03:48 PM
i already made this test ,no difference

If you've tried these settings, these games, and that BLASTER environment variable, then you need at least one other PC (286 or higher) to test the card in to make sure the card isn't broken.

Also, I don't think DIAGNOSE is for PNP cards only. My Sound Blaster 16 ASP came with similar software that tested the card. Try the setup/diagnose/etc. program included in my original SB16 disks: ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Hardware/Creative/SB16ASP (these were made before the PNP cards so they should work on yours -- don't worry about the "ASP" part, it isn't used by anything)

fmartine
August 19th, 2013, 12:43 AM
IT WORKS NOW!!! The solution? i disabled the CSP setting the jumpers on the board!!

Trixter
August 19th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Glad to hear you got it working! Does your card have an ASP/CSP chip in the socket?

fmartine
August 19th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Glad to hear you got it working! Does your card have an ASP/CSP chip in the socket?

CT1740 has ASP/CSP on board

vwestlife
August 19th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Is this one an attempt at taking advantage of the popular misconception that a 16-bit sound card needs to have a 16-bit ISA bus connector? It uses a Vibra chip and claims to be "licensed by Creative Technology Ltd.", and as the seller wrote, "This card uses only the 8-bit ISA bus; it has 4 fingers on the AT portion but these are not connected to anything."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130918500011

njroadfan
August 19th, 2013, 07:39 PM
The 16-bit portion of the card is usually used for the CD-ROM interface and setting high DMA channels. Otherwise the card will work fine in an 8-bit slot, just set the low DMA and high DMA to the same value (usually channel 1).

Great Hierophant
August 19th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Is this one an attempt at taking advantage of the popular misconception that a 16-bit sound card needs to have a 16-bit ISA bus connector? It uses a Vibra chip and claims to be "licensed by Creative Technology Ltd.", and as the seller wrote, "This card uses only the 8-bit ISA bus; it has 4 fingers on the AT portion but these are not connected to anything."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130918500011

Those late ViBRA boards use two 8-bit DMA channels for 16-bit digital audio. This method is not ideal, but it works for some programs.

fmartine
August 19th, 2013, 11:37 PM
The 16-bit portion of the card is usually used for the CD-ROM interface and setting high DMA channels. Otherwise the card will work fine in an 8-bit slot, just set the low DMA and high DMA to the same value (usually channel 1).

yes early version of sound blaster 16 use 16 portion only for cd-rom interface

pl212
May 1st, 2014, 06:26 PM
Make sure you test games that actually have digital sound in them. What games were you testing? There are not many games that have digital sound in them that run on XTs. Here's a list of games that should work to some degree:

Prince of Persia
(the opening scenes of) Stellar 7 and Rise of the Dragon
Tongue of the Fatman (opening scene where you select the fighter, should say "Mondo welcomes you to the fight palace!")
4-D Sports Boxing (digital drums in the music)
Stunt Driver (only playable if you have your NEC V20 in though, and set all detail to minimum)
Fire Hawk: Thexder II
Countdown

Reviving an old thread, I just successfully installed a SB16 (CT1730 with Panasonic interface, no ASP/CSP chip) into the decidedly XT-class PS/2 Model 25. SB16 works great in Sierra games such as KQIV.

But I'm on a mission to see if I can get digital sound out of this guy, and so far Thexder 2 Fire Hawk is a no. Regular sound works but digital sounds are only a brief click (comparing with YouTube videos). Eventually, the game will fail out with a "parity error". (I could, of course, be reaching the limits of the Model 25 with this game.)

Adding SET BLASTER=A220 I2 D1 T6 to autoexec didn't make any difference. I suppose I could try IRQ9 (changing both the jumpers and SET BLASTER, of course). And I can give Prince of Persia a whirl. But curious if digital sound works for anyone else with this type of config?

Great Hierophant
May 1st, 2014, 06:52 PM
Reviving an old thread, I just successfully installed a SB16 (CT1730 with Panasonic interface, no ASP/CSP chip) into the decidedly XT-class PS/2 Model 25. SB16 works great in Sierra games such as KQIV.

But I'm on a mission to see if I can get digital sound out of this guy, and so far Thexder 2 Fire Hawk is a no. Regular sound works but digital sounds are only a brief click (comparing with YouTube videos). Eventually, the game will fail out with a "parity error". (I could, of course, be reaching the limits of the Model 25 with this game.)

Adding SET BLASTER=A220 I2 D1 T6 to autoexec didn't make any difference. I suppose I could try IRQ9 (changing both the jumpers and SET BLASTER, of course). And I can give Prince of Persia a whirl. But curious if digital sound works for anyone else with this type of config?

Try setting your Sound Blaster and the SET BLASTER variable to IRQ7. That may fix Thexder 2 and probably some others.

pl212
May 1st, 2014, 08:41 PM
Hey, thanks! After an unfortunate detour to IRQ5 by mistake (conflicts with HD...) I'm now getting full digital sound in Thexder 2! This must be one of the last games that's marginally playable on this class of hardware...

lameboyadvance
November 10th, 2016, 02:45 AM
CT4170.zip (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13480&d=1369360615)
This little program will set up IRQ, DMA and I/O for a SB16 PnP card according to the BLASTER environment variable. So, the best way is to invoke it in the AUTOEXEC.BAT and position it *after* the 'BLASTER' environment. It wont stay in memory (non-TSR).
Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know if this driver could let you use an AWE32/AWE64 in an XT?

1ST1
November 10th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Hello the AWE32/64 uses DMA channels an XT does not have.

lameboyadvance
November 10th, 2016, 03:06 AM
Ah, so at best this will let you use is a VIBRA 16 then.

KenEG
February 1st, 2017, 05:33 PM
I just used it to put a Vibra 16 in my DTK DATA-1000 XT Turbo. I set blaster=a220 i7 d1 h2 and it works great. I only paid about $21 on eBay for the card, a CT2960. Much cheaper and easier to find than any of the older non-plug and play cards. I have tested it on Stellar7 in sound blaster mode and King's Quest IV using AdLib mode. My XT turbo sings now.