PDA

View Full Version : FTP with mTCP: Good destinations for testing

mmruzek
August 2nd, 2013, 03:34 AM
I'm working with mTCP installed on my IBM PC 5150 Clone, the PC-Retro. By the way, the mTCP suite of applications for networking a vintage PC is fantastic if you have not tried it yet. At the moment I am testing the FTP client, and would appreciate some suggestions for working FTP sites to use for testing. (I have found quite a few FTP sites that don't work!) If anyone knows of a list or resource for working FTP sites, that would also be appreciated. Thanks, Michael.

mbbrutman
August 2nd, 2013, 05:21 AM
I always enjoyed cruising SIMTEL using FTP for MS-DOS shareware and freeware. The current owners have turned that feature off, but there are mirror sites that still allow FTP. Here is one:

ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/

(I first started using SIMTEL in 1992 ... )

g4ugm
August 5th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I would try gatekeeper.dec.com which now aliases to some Compaq/hp site.....

mmruzek
August 6th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Thank you everyone for the FTP suggestions. Here are a few more sites that may be of interest for testing mTCP:

NASA ftp.hq.nasa.gov

NOAA (Weather) ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov

GNU ftp.gnu.org

GOES (Satellite Images) ftp://goes.gsfc.nasa.gov

Thanks, Michael

High_Treason
August 6th, 2013, 02:06 AM
I know ftp.3drealms.com is still up. And ther is ftp.isu.edu.tw, which contains random drivers and stuff.

I would suggest poking my server around, but I shut down the FTP some time ago.

Trixter
August 6th, 2013, 07:39 AM
ftp.oldskool.org has lots of goodies stuffed in random places... (and some not so random, such as the /pub/misc/Software and /pub/misc/Hardware) The official tvdog Tandy 1000 mirror is at /pub/tvdog.