PDA

View Full Version : Next hot spam topic?

Chuck(G)
August 5th, 2013, 03:07 PM
It seems that you can purchase FB "likes" for about $15 per thousand. (http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/02/click-farms-appearance-online-popularity)

Wonderful.

commodorejohn
August 5th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Finally, a reliable dollar measure of patheticness!

barythrin
August 6th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Wait we can't pay in bitcoins? I guess I don't do facebook enough to understand what the benefit of having likes would be.

tezza
August 6th, 2013, 12:43 PM
It's not just Facebook.

I received a tweet from a company that would give my YouTube videos 3,000 views in the next 30 days for just $15. It seems popularity actually does have a set price!

Tez

k2x4b524[
August 6th, 2013, 03:32 PM
dude, bitcoins are like $100 plus these days, i've thought about getting a couple to have around until later on.. but 1 bill for 1 electronic coin, i've got other things i can spend money i don't have on :)

Wait we can't pay in bitcoins? I guess I don't do facebook enough to understand what the benefit of having likes would be.

NeXT
August 6th, 2013, 04:11 PM
After my SkyTrain SkyWay video went viral I received a few emails offering to add views by the thousand for a fee as well.
I generally respond with "Did Andy Warhol pay people to positively critique his work?"

High_Treason
August 6th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Such services have existed for years, I have had offers of this and also suspect similar channels to mine probably paid or these given that two large channels outright copied me and one suddenly got massive amounts of views around the time I recieved the message. For me, they go the same way as partnership offers - the delete queue.

Who said BitCoin? Rip-off! 15p per KWH. I ran a cluster of miners, admittedly one was a CPU miner so it may mildly skew the results, but I expanded the cluster until it was using around 1KW total, I was making 4p per hour whilst being charged 15p per hour in electricity. Bitcoins were around 90 at this time. Needless to say the cluster was shut down and due to policies of the service, the admins took my fraction of a coin as I never moved it to my wallet... Good going, you can keep my 1.20 or whatever measly amount it was.

Oh, and don't even try if you have an nVidia card, seems the miner programmers were butthurt about losing in the benchmarks or something as I don't believe their excuses about OpenCL given that my card tramples my friends ATi in every other OpenCL application but he got about 10x the performance in the miner.

Edit: Figure I should point out I am not trying to start an ATi vs. nVidia war (though feel free to make a thread on that if you want my opinions, it could be fun) - his card is a fairly low-end model from a generation earlier than mine (Stock 5750 vs 1GB GTX 460 factory overclocked) - at least I think so, I don't follow ATi's cards and I stopped paying the nVidia GeForce attention some time ago too as the Quadro has a better feature set for me.

NeXT
August 6th, 2013, 05:24 PM
I did the same math for bitcoin mining on my 8-way Origin 2000 about a year ago. Even then there was simply no way to mine fast enough to cover the cost of the systems power consumption alone much less for the additional cooling.
Most people don't mine on GPU's now anyways because even a system packed with $1000 cards is outperformed by more efficient ASIC farms. I still call it a pyramid scheme.

RickNel
August 7th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Synthetic self-esteem for your synthetic online fake self - satisfaction guarranteed!

Rick