PDA

View Full Version : DHCP with mTCP and 3COM Network Card

mmruzek
August 7th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Had an unusual experience connecting my IBM 5150 PC to the Ethernet using a 3COM card and the DHCP program in the mTCP application suite. I had previously connected my PC-Retro using the EtherLink II/16TP card, and decided to buy a few more identical cards on EBAY to keep things simple. This card only has a few jumpers to set, and although it is a 16 bit card, it works fine in an 8 bit slot. I couldn't get either card to work in a known good setup. The DHCP connection attempt timed out after 10 seconds with 3 consecutive attempts. Finally, I decided to reset the network cable modem power while the DHCP connection was being negotiated. That worked, and now both cards are recognized and work great.

So, if you are having trouble getting that first network connection, I'd suggest trying a power reset. I would assume the internet service provider has some sort of security protocol for first time connection attempts. Maybe the network guys can explain? Thanks, Michael

Hatta
August 7th, 2013, 09:02 AM
What you want is a router in between your PC and your cable modem that runs DHCP, so you get a LAN IP for your PC and aren't relying on the ISP to give you another IP. I use a PIII running pfsense, a wifi router running openwrt/tomato is another good option.