PDA

View Full Version : Compaq LTE 5250 laptop ESS ES1688 soundcard issues?

brinstar117
August 10th, 2013, 12:45 PM
EDIT: Let it drop. I found my problem. There's a small volume knob on the left edge on the bottom. It was turned all the way down. Do I feel foolish! :p

I just picked this beauty at a thrift store today.

Compaq LTE 5250 specs:
Pentium 120MHz
32MB RAM
811MB HDD
10.4" 800x600
Floppy drive
Windows 95 4.00.950a

I'm not getting any sound output. I don't think there are any hardware conflicts. I tried disabling the IR port, parallel, and serial to no avail. There wasn't a way to assign IRQ settings to the sound card in the BIOS other than just enabling or disabling it. There was another post by an guy with a Thinkpad 760XL (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?37942-IBM-ThinkPad-760XL-ESS-1688-Audio-Issues) with the same sound chip so I'm inclined to believe I have a similar hardware failure.

When I try to play a sound file the equalizer bar (green bar that rises up and down during playback of a sound) gets stuck while raised. The bar animates for a split second and then no longer moves even after the sound file stops playing.

It's a little disappointing as otherwise my laptop is solidly constructed and is quite snappy with Windows 95.