PDA

View Full Version : IBM PC Jr Enhanced KB on a 5150 or 5160?

Shadow Lord
August 18th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I was wondering if the enhanced KB from the PCJR (Model 7257) could be used easily (i.e. just hook it up and go) on a 5150/5160 as a "compact" KB? Looking through Mike's extensive PC Jr. resources my gut feeling is no. The PC/XT BIOS could not handle the different key codes (e.g. Fn) so it would not work (not at least w/o a SW to extend the BIOS on those machines). However, what the heck do I know so I thought I ask :D!

Beerhunter
August 19th, 2013, 02:00 AM
I was wondering if the enhanced KB from the PCJR (Model 7257) could be used easily (i.e. just hook it up and go)
Not "easily" because the plugs and sockets are different.

barythrin
August 19th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I don't know if the keyboard controller signals are the same. I would sorta think they would be so maybe if you wired in the IR port from a jr to the keyboard port on a PC you could have a semi light wireless keyboard on the PC but I don't recall ever hearing about it being done. As Beerhunter said, the plug on any jr stuff is a proprietary square connector so the quick answer is no it's not an immediate in place replacement.

mbbrutman
August 19th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I don't know if the keyboard controller signals are the same. I would sorta think they would be so maybe if you wired in the IR port from a jr to the keyboard port on a PC you could have a semi light wireless keyboard on the PC but I don't recall ever hearing about it being done. As Beerhunter said, the plug on any jr stuff is a proprietary square connector so the quick answer is no it's not an immediate in place replacement.

The sockets are different. The signalling protocol is different too. And finally, the scan codes are different. This page does a good job of explaining how the PCjr BIOS makes the 62 key keyboard look like an 83 key keyboard:

http://brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_keyboard_handling.html

You can do this much in the same way the XT to AT converter works - use a micro-controller to map the scan codes from one platform to the other.

Shadow Lord
August 19th, 2013, 10:47 PM
The sockets are different. The signalling protocol is different too. And finally, the scan codes are different.

Which confirms what I suspected from the beginning. Thank you all.