PDA

View Full Version : Ibm xt Single click/tick

Chromedome45
August 21st, 2013, 07:04 PM
would would cause a 128k XT to just click/tick one time then not boot? Don't have the computer but that is what it is doing. Ant ideas?

jharre
August 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM
Something shorted and your power supply shut down? Did you check voltages? (Yeah, silly question.)

modem7
August 22nd, 2013, 12:06 AM
Follow the diagnostic procedure at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150_5160/MDC/minimum_diag_config.htm

billdeg
August 22nd, 2013, 08:19 AM
very likely you have a short. remove one card at a time and test from bare system up.

Chromedome45
August 29th, 2013, 09:38 AM
So I finally picked up the beast and set to minimum mode like Modem7's page said. Pulled all cards and got 1 long and 2 short beeps so mainboard and power supply are good. Put in Floppy controller still good. Put in multi I/O card no power. Ok 1st suspect there. Put in a hercules card which turned out to be a GCA card. All good there. Put multi I/O back in no power. Checked the usual suspects. (Tantalum Capacitors) found 2 shorted 1 on the 5 volt line and one on the 12 volt line snipped one side of both of them. Put back in system and all good system powered up fine!. Now need to replace them and put in a 8 bit capable VGA card.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out to be the newer model Mainboard that can take up to 640k on it. Right now has 512k. Need to slap in 18 64k chips to bring up to 640. Woot glad I picked it up.