PDA

View Full Version : All-in-Wonder 128 Pro 16mb, video capture?

RaptorZX3
August 21st, 2013, 08:33 PM
i wonder if, with an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro 16mb PCI, i could capture gameplay videos on my Pentium 200MMX?

For example, using this card as the 2D card, and using the Voodoo2 as the 3D card, and capturing gameplay with the AIW card.

Is that possible?

barythrin
August 22nd, 2013, 08:03 AM
I'm trying to remember what system(s) I used to do video encoding on from that era. I may have done it on my 200mmx with an AIW but I remember getting an 8MB AIW Pro AGP on my K6-2 system. The K6-2 450 handled everything fine although I was usually encoding at a low bitrate and low resolution. I suppose though encoding in raw format would take a ton of storage space but you could then encode/convert it on another system or during that systems free time.

You're talking about video out to video in on the AIW though? That's the only way I can think of doing it but I don't recall the AIW having any VGA inputs just RCA or Coax on some models.

njroadfan
August 22nd, 2013, 08:10 AM
You need a fast machine to capture full motion/full resolution NTSC/PAL video in MPEG-2 or even lossless (data rate is too high for period HDs). Forget doing anything else while the machine is capturing too (hello dropped frames).

RaptorZX3
August 22nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
i'm talking about recording gameplay on the same computer. But then maybe it would be better if i can use another computer to record it?
For example, recording gameplay with the VGA from the P200MMX, with a Pentium 3 800Mhz beside this computer.

Can the AIW do that? recording the VGA output from another source? or it's really just the RCA with the adapter?

barythrin
August 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Do you already have the AIW card? I'm not sure what model it is or what inputs yours would have but by default it didn't have VGA in, only VGA out. I've never tried any sort of VGA to RCA adapter but that'd be an idea. You might try searching the forums for recording game play videos, there have been some conversations here by folks who have done that more than I have. Most of the experience I've seen was from people sending their video output to a VCR or DVD recorder then ripping it again after that, although if you have a video card that already does RCA out then you'd be set.

Old Thrashbarg
August 22nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
For example, using this card as the 2D card, and using the Voodoo2 as the 3D card, and capturing gameplay with the AIW card. Is that possible?

Simply put: no way in hell.

You really have two reasonable options. One is to get a converter to go from VGA->composite, and use the AIW card in another machine. It'll work, but it'll look like crap... there's a huge quality loss when you do that conversion. The second option is to get a VGA-capable capture card/device. These will give you good quality, but they range from kinda expensive to really expensive... the only 'budget' one I know of is the AVerMedia Game Broadcaster HD (~$120), and it requires a modern machine with PCIe.

GottaLottaStuff
August 22nd, 2013, 07:39 PM
"You really have two reasonable options."
There is a third option, and it's not that bad. Upgrade to a Voodoo 3 with the TV output and run that into a second PC with the AIW card in it. You'll be watching the output on the second PC (turning on the TV output usually turns off the VGA) so it might be a bit laggy. :) Add a KVM switch and you only need one keyboard, monitor and mouse for both PCs.

Old Thrashbarg
August 22nd, 2013, 08:19 PM
so it might be a bit laggy.

I'm not sure about the early generation AIW cards, but on the later ones the delay can be as much as 1-2 seconds. Which would be rather inconvenient for doing gameplay videos. Unless you're trying to do videos of doing very poorly at games. :D

GottaLottaStuff
August 23rd, 2013, 12:20 AM
One way to find out. I've got two Voodoo 3s, two ATI TV Wonder VEs, and about a dozen PII or PIII systems. I'll let you know. :) BTW, I don't know about the AIWs, but the TV Wonder VEs don't work with XP. They do OK for about a week, then nothing. One of the updates (SP2?) breaks the drivers. And just about anything makes them drop frames.

Trixter
August 30th, 2013, 08:57 PM
My solution for capturing VGA + 3DFX footage was twofold: VGA card had s-video output; 3dfx card did not. For VGA, I just captured the s-video output using a second computer. For the 3dfx card, I converted VGA to s-video with a standalone box and captured it with a second card.

Advantages: No lag, no capture issues
Disadvantages: Analog capture introduces generational loss

The quality ranged from good to great. If you're willing to download a DVD .ISO image from http://www.mindcandydvd.com/1/downloads (after you download, look for the oldschool" .iso) you can see the exact footage captured. This was back in 2002.

Nowadays, if I need to capture DOS VGA footage, I use dosbox. If I need to capture Windows footage, I just do it on my modern desktop using FRAPS.

What are you trying to capture, and for what purpose?