PDA

View Full Version : Aptiva S Mwave Problems

NeXT
August 21st, 2013, 09:32 PM
After changing my mind, it seems that the Forum won't update the thread title. :/

After ditching the Mwave I wanted to opt into a CT1300 Sound Blaster 32 in my Stealth Aptiva.
Aside from the MPU enable/disable jumper, it's completely PnP. The only other cards in the system are a Lucent PnP modem and a 3C509-TPO 3Com card.
To windows all three cards are detectable and drivers are available right out of the OS. Windows has absolutely no issues.
The BIOS on the other hands is not happy.
If both the Sound Blaster and the Etherlink III are installed the BIOS screams an error 1800 which is a resource conflict. From Windows neither card even shares any resources, running the NIC's own utility also ensures that nothing has somehow conflicted. There's no problem I can find.

Is ther ea port or address range or something I'm overlooking?

geoffm3
December 2nd, 2013, 01:21 PM
After changing my mind, it seems that the Forum won't update the thread title. :/

After ditching the Mwave I wanted to opt into a CT1300 Sound Blaster 32 in my Stealth Aptiva.
Aside from the MPU enable/disable jumper, it's completely PnP. The only other cards in the system are a Lucent PnP modem and a 3C509-TPO 3Com card.
To windows all three cards are detectable and drivers are available right out of the OS. Windows has absolutely no issues.
The BIOS on the other hands is not happy.
If both the Sound Blaster and the Etherlink III are installed the BIOS screams an error 1800 which is a resource conflict. From Windows neither card even shares any resources, running the NIC's own utility also ensures that nothing has somehow conflicted. There's no problem I can find.

Is ther ea port or address range or something I'm overlooking?

Bump for an old topic. I'm wondering if with this problem if you tried multiple slot combinations for the network and SB card? In lots of motherboards apparently not every slot has dedicated bus mastering signals. I ran into similar problems running multiple network cards and moving one of the network cards into another unoccupied slot fixed the issue.

geoffm3
December 2nd, 2013, 01:23 PM
Nevermind... overlooked that your NIC is an ISA card.

NeXT
December 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM
yeah. :/

Cloudschatze
December 2nd, 2013, 01:58 PM
Seems similar to an ESCD issue that I faced with a Media Vision soundcard and Intel motherboard...

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,2783.msg28887.html#msg28887

NeXT
December 2nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
No, Mwave's were just about impossible to get working unless you sacrificed a goat during the correct moon segment.
Even IBM's instructions are known to not work most of the time.

wesleyfurr
December 2nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
No, Mwave's were just about impossible to get working unless you sacrificed a goat during the correct moon segment.
Even IBM's instructions are known to not work most of the time.

LOL...I recall crossing paths with one or two of those in time at a local computer repair place in the late 90's. I don't remember anything other than a nagging thought about fighting tooth and nail to get one of them working! Though the worst add-in board award has to go to the Cardinal modem (I think a fancy Plug & Play one with voice capabilities maybe) I fought with. Ended up spending quite a long time on the phone with tech support to get it going...this was selling it in a new PC we had built. The hard drive died at some point (I think under warranty), and the re-build required another lengthy support call. Never seen anything like it before or since!

Wesley

njroadfan
December 3rd, 2013, 04:19 AM
The Mwave never worked right, particularly the modem part in the combined cards the Aptiva usually came with. Not even a class action lawsuit could coax them into working right. I had the misfortune of fixing a few of those machines back in the computer tech days. At least one of them landed up being target practice!

Honestly, for the customer it was cheaper to just replace the card with something that worked. In the end, it was a wise choice since the cost was mostly recouped by the class action settlement.

RWallmow
December 4th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I remember those mwaves with great frustration, even when you got them working "right" they were quirky sound cards, and crappy, near useless modems.

I sold many people nice hardware USR modems and half-decent Yamaha sound cards in their place, when faced with $45 per hour charge to look at their mwave, OR $60 for new 33.6k (and later on 56k) modem and sound card (with free install), all the smart ones picked the new modem and sound card, lol.

EDIT: I have to add, packard bell had some combo modem/sound card too that was prone to fits as well, we replaced those like hotcakes as well, so mwave wasnt the only dud back in the day.