PDA

View Full Version : DOS/Windows batch files to launch executables from within CP/M?

Chris Hafner
August 22nd, 2013, 05:05 PM
Hi all,

Does anybody know of a CP/M emulator that could be made to launch from an MS-DOS/Windows command line, using parameters within that command line to in turn make it launch a CP/M program?

In other words, here's the sequence:
1. Kick off a batch file or enter a command line through DOS/Windows - just as completely fictitious example: "maxz80 cpm2.dsk -ladder.com"
2. DOS/Windows loads the emulator/simulator - in this example, maxz80
3. The emulator/simulator loads the CP/M disk image
4. CP/M loads ladder.com

This is probably too ambitious, but if CP/M would support a relatively simple script like an MS-DOS batch file, that would help.

As background, I'm reasonably solid in MS-DOS but am brand new to CP/M. I'm a vintage computer collector (with not-yet-functional Osborne 1 and Kaypro 4 on which I hope to eventually learn CP/M better), but I'm currently working on building an MAME arcade cabinet. While setting up the various layers of emulation to make those games playable, I've been daydreaming about making CP/M games easily launchable and playable on that cabinet. Silly? Yes. But it'd be a fun tribute, I think.

jharre
August 22nd, 2013, 06:07 PM
Its been many years, but I believe CP/M has a 'submit' facility that would allow you to run a program at boot time. So, once your emulator fires up, it would take the contents of the $$$.sub file as if it were console input.

Chuck(G)
August 22nd, 2013, 06:30 PM
There are several CP/M emulators that integrate with the MS-DOS file system (FAT) structure. You just run CP/M programs as if they were DOS programs.

This may not solve your problem, but I run PIP and various other CP/M-80 programs from within a Windows command prompt.

Chris Hafner
August 23rd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks, everybody! Chuck, the solution you outline sounds ideal. I will put on my Googling hat and see what I can find.