PDA

View Full Version : Help please with an IBM 7868-047 Modem

Shadow Lord
August 26th, 2013, 10:50 AM
So this weekend I had the opportunity to rescue some old industrial IBM equipment:

As part of the rescue efforts I also had a chance to save some old IBM rack mount modems. Based on info provided by Jimmy (Thanks!) in this thread (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?38672-Older-IBM-quot-industrial-quot-modems) I opted to save six 7868-047 modems. From what I have found out these modems each could be connected to four different computers and works on POTS lines (as opposed to leased lines). So far so good. I was able to get everything over to my place and booted the system up (went right up, CMOS battery -original IBM- is still working) and got SCO Unix System V! Luckily there was inactive DOS 4.00 partition which I am using now to test out the system with.

Here is where the issue arises: According to NeXT and based on my preliminary testing these modems do not support the standard Hayes AT command set.

Does anyone have any info, manuals, settings, FW upgrade, experience, whatever with which they can say if these modems definitely do not support the AT command set or if there is anyway to make them work with the AT command set? I know the later models of these modems do but this is what I have and would like to make work!

Any help is appreciated!

Shadow Lord
September 12th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Bumping this in hopes somebody has some more info on them (encouraging or not)....