PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my PS/2 8570 to recognize a memory upgrade board

Springbok
September 2nd, 2013, 06:17 AM
Hey guys,

When I bought my Model 70, I received a memory upgrade board too. It looks like it has 8MB of chips on it. One chip shows 2MB, and there are 4 of them. I might be wrong. When I plug it in, it still only recognizes the the 6MB on the main board.

Don't know if I have to go into the BIOS to configure it, but I have not yet replaced the dead CMOS battery. Hopefully will get that done today.

Also, is this card worth anything? I paid $200 for the 8570 with a 8515 VGA monitor, Model M Keyboard, this card, and a token ring card which I will probably never use.

Chromedome45
September 2nd, 2013, 07:07 AM
You will need the reference disk for the model 70 for it to be recognized. There is no BIOS you can enter. So hopefully your floppy drive is working.
Have you Tested it? The floppy drive. Yeah mine had a token ring too. I pulled the EPROMS and trashed the board. I reused the EPROMS.

Look here for reference disks. Look for the model 70 Ref disk 1.12 then Just download and extract to a floppy. Put the memory card back in the system. Boot with the refernce disk in the drive and press enter when it comes up. Use auto configure it should set it up for you. Hope this helps And hope the floppy drive works. The floppy drives in the PS/2 line were not the most reliable. Actually more like junk!

http://www.walshcomptech.com/selectpccbbs/

Stone
September 2nd, 2013, 07:24 AM
Those memory chips are most likely 2M X 4-bit so that would mean 4 chips = 4 MB of memory. That's assuming that they actually are 2MB each.

Springbok
September 2nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks Chrome...

I do get an error code 601 "General diskette or adapter failure". I hope that is just a failure because it does not recognize the memory upgrade card, and not indeed a "diskette" failure.

Stone
September 2nd, 2013, 08:17 AM
I do get an error code 601 "General diskette or adapter failure". I hope that is just a failure because it does not recognize the memory upgrade card, and not indeed a "diskette" failure.If it were a memory problem it would give a 2xx error code, not a 601. 601 is exactly what it says... diskette or adapter failure.

Chromedome45
September 2nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Yep Disk failure! But try the easy stuff 1st like cleaning the heads. Take the drive out and open it up and lubricate the head guide rails. They tend
to dry out or get gooey and sticky. And clean heads with ISO alchohol. If that doesn't get it working then the Next thing you need to find is a MCA capable floppy drive With the 40 pin edge connector. Or look for a PS/2 floppy that works with the Model 50 Model 70. And finding a working one may cost a bit. And most of them don't even work. Usually sold as untested.

Here's one make him an offer and see if he takes it. got a 50/50 chance on this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLOPPY-DRIVE-DFP723D12B-IBM-EC-NO-A79541-P-N-15F7503-/121165677043?pt=US_Floppy_Zip_Jaz_Drives&hash=item1c360981f3