PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Euro PC need restoration: Possible?

johny_2k
September 3rd, 2013, 04:44 PM
Hello.

I have posted this thread about a lot of retros I acquired:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?38902-Acquired-this-pack-of-retro-s-from-a-retiring-collector-a-few-Ultra-Rare-pieces

In the lot there is this Schneider Euro PC, in really bad shape. Man, that is sad...
First major problem: the keyboard cable is torn / broken.
Second, there are lots of green rust in the motherboard and components.

I have some pictures below to show how bad is.

I would like to ask for some help here, to solve these two problems.
1. Is is possible to replace the keyboard cable in some way other than looking/finding another Euro PC replacement keyboard ?
2. I have no previous reference to tell, so I ask: the green rust is too much, or this usually does not cause damage enough to make the motherboard useless? (I will clean up the green rust, suggestions welcome on how to do it).

It is a pity this equipment is in soo bad shape. I will try to put it to work if that is possible.
Thanks in advance.
Roni

johny_2k
September 6th, 2013, 03:53 AM
OK, got it.
Not Possible!

:D

barythrin
September 6th, 2013, 08:46 AM
The cable might be just a case of making sure the sides touch. You could jump it with solder/wire or whatever really. The corrosion I'm not sure about, probably one of the cleaning techniques in another post might clear things up but despite being nasty if you can make sure none of those spots are bridging anything it may still work after a little cleaning.

johny_2k
September 6th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Uoh! Someone gave a shot!
:p
Thanks.

Come on, guys, it is free to jump in!

I have cleaned up the dust, washed, put it into alcohol (yes, isopropil) and dried with a hair drier.
I am not engineer, but as far as I can see, there lots of traces that seems to be damaged. And I could not remove all green stuff from some spots.
I have also tested the PSU and looks like all pins are giving 40v... odd! I must verify what it is supposed to have in each pin... the motherboard may have been already fried by a faulty PSU...
The scenario is really bad.

The cable might be just a case of making sure the sides touch. You could jump it with solder/wire or whatever really. The corrosion I'm not sure about, probably one of the cleaning techniques in another post might clear things up but despite being nasty if you can make sure none of those spots are bridging anything it may still work after a little cleaning.

johny_2k
September 14th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I have come to a conclusion that it will not be possible to bring this guy back from the dead.

Now I have two options:
1. put is to sale as is, someone may want the case and and everything else to do something;
2. start a mod project, and put a modern motherboard inside it.

I really don't want to trash this Euro PC taking my chances on ebay, in an auction that may turn out a disaster for me. So I think option 1 is a no.

Option 2 is really interesting. I am convinced that I can "fake" an Euro PC in its own case, including using its own keyboard and PSU.

As long as the keyboard membrane is still working, it will be possible to use it in a modern modern motherboard - it will require a conversion from a matrix keyboard to usb. There is already some successful projects in the internet on this subject.
For its brain, we can use a intel motherboard (I think I can find one that fits inside) or, worst case, a raspberry pi. We can always emulate DOS and have the Euro PC running its original software.
The PSU is the easiest part, its internal parts can be replaced as well.

Thoughts?
Anyone thinks it is a Heresy?

johny_2k
October 8th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Hi there, I am back.

Anyone know a place where I can get the service manual for this computer?
I will need the pinout for the keyboard cable for now...
My goal is to use Teensy do decode this keyboard and provide a USB output so I can use the keyboard with Raspberry Pi.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Agent Orange
October 8th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Hello.

I have posted this thread about a lot of retros I acquired:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?38902-Acquired-this-pack-of-retro-s-from-a-retiring-collector-a-few-Ultra-Rare-pieces

In the lot there is this Schneider Euro PC, in really bad shape. Man, that is sad...
First major problem: the keyboard cable is torn / broken.
Second, there are lots of green rust in the motherboard and components.

I have some pictures below to show how bad is.

I would like to ask for some help here, to solve these two problems.
1. Is is possible to replace the keyboard cable in some way other than looking/finding another Euro PC replacement keyboard ?
2. I have no previous reference to tell, so I ask: the green rust is too much, or this usually does not cause damage enough to make the motherboard useless? (I will clean up the green rust, suggestions welcome on how to do it).

It is a pity this equipment is in soo bad shape. I will try to put it to work if that is possible.
Thanks in advance.
Roni

Corrosion: You may what to try a little baking soda with distilled water, gently scrubbed using a toothbrush. Good Luck!