PDA

View Full Version : Future Domain TMC-850M manual found!

IBM Portable PC
September 3rd, 2013, 06:15 PM
This is not easy to come by:

http://manx.classiccmp.org/collections/antonio/chrisq/Future_Domain_TMC-850M_User's_Guide.pdf

I guess it is from now on! :D

I have V8.40 BIOS, not sure what this allows as yet I.e. XT booting etc.

Also, mine has an "Apple Signal SCSI Port" (external DB25 only), not too concerned with this though..........

IBM Portable PC
September 3rd, 2013, 08:53 PM
I've realized that the 'Apple' port simply refers to Apple being the first to use a D25F for SCSI ports resulting in the possibility of PC users plugging their printers into the SCSI port I.e. the label is just to point out its not a printer port......

framer
September 4th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Thank's for the post I've used this board in several PC XT's and it nice to have the full doc's...

framer

JohnElliott
September 4th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I've realized that the 'Apple' port simply refers to Apple being the first to use a D25F for SCSI ports resulting in the possibility of PC users plugging their printers into the SCSI port I.e. the label is just to point out its not a printer port......

There's a bit more than that. Some Future Domain cards had a DB25F SCSI port that didn't use the Apple pinout.

IBM Portable PC
September 4th, 2013, 01:44 PM
There's a bit more than that. Some Future Domain cards had a DB25F SCSI port that didn't use the Apple pinout.

I'll pins some pinouts and compare........ I can't imagine why there would be different pinouts, it must have been a nightmare with either special cables or adaptors being required particularly in dual platform pre-press houses etc

Old Thrashbarg
September 4th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I'll pins some pinouts and compare........

It's actually already been documented (http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/a4000hard/scsipins.html). As for why they felt they needed their own proprietary pinout, I don't know...

Anonymous Coward
September 4th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I didn't know this manual was missing. I've had it in my hands for 10 years....

Anyone get v8.40 BIOS working in an XT system yet?

IBM Portable PC
September 5th, 2013, 01:38 PM
It's actually already been documented (http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/a4000hard/scsipins.html). As for why they felt they needed their own proprietary pinout, I don't know...

That's great! Well, I have another reason to stick with my Trantor T139 or Rancho cards.... Although as mine is labelled Apple config then it's NOT the non standard version and okay with standard D25 to Centronics 50 cables?

Cloudschatze
September 5th, 2013, 01:52 PM
The Future Domain cards seem to be pretty highly regarded, but I wonder if anyone can comment on how they compare to contemporary products, like the Trantor boards?

I've had great success using the Trantor T-128 and T-130B cards in various Tandy systems (with some caveats...), but was unable to get a Future Domain TMC-850MFL to work at all in either of the two systems that I tried it in - a Tandy 1000 TL/2 and TL/3.

IBM Portable PC
September 6th, 2013, 03:51 AM
That's great! Well, I have another reason to stick with my Trantor T139 or Rancho cards.... Although as mine is labelled Apple config then it's NOT the non standard version and okay with standard D25 to Centronics 50 cables?

For completeness and discussion, I've pasted them from the link in the previous post i.e. http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/a4000hard/scsipins.html

From his, it appears that the card you want is the one marked "Apple Signal SCSI Port" and I can confirm that it works with my Fujitsu Magneto Optical drive with a standard, non Future Domain, SCSI cable. :!:

I wonder why Future Domain created their own standard? :confused:

External SCSI Connector (DB25 Macintosh-Type Female Pseudo-SCSI)
(Note: This is by far the most common style of DB25 SCSI connector. Most [probably all] Amiga SCSI interfaces with DB25 connectors--like the A2091--use this pin-out.)

Pin 1: *REQ
Pin 2: *MSG
Pin 3: *I/O
Pin 4: *RST
Pin 5: *ACK
Pin 6: *BSY
Pin 7: Ground
Pin 8: *Data 0
Pin 9: Ground
Pin 10: *Data 3
Pin 11: *Data 5
Pin 12: *Data 6
Pin 13: *Data 7
Pin 14: Ground
Pin 15: *C/D
Pin 16: Ground
Pin 17: *ATN
Pin 18: Ground
Pin 19: *SEL
Pin 20: *Parity
Pin 21: *Data 1
Pin 22: *Data 2
Pin 23: *Data 4
Pin 24: Ground
Pin 25: Terminator Power

External SCSI Connector (DB25 Future Domain-Type Female Pseudo-SCSI)
(Note: This is a rare alternate standard for the DB25 connector. It was only used on the Future Domain TMC-830/845 and TMC-850/860/885, and is included here in case you end up with a cable meant for these boards.)

Pin 1: Ground
Pin 2: *Data 1
Pin 3: *Data 3
Pin 4: *Data 5
Pin 5: *Data 7
Pin 6: Ground
Pin 7: *SEL
Pin 8: Ground
Pin 9: Terminator Power
Pin 10: *RST
Pin 11: *C/D
Pin 12: *I/O
Pin 13: Ground
Pin 14: *Data 0
Pin 15: *Data 2
Pin 16: *Data 4
Pin 17: *Data 6
Pin 18: *Parity
Pin 19: Ground
Pin 20: *ATN
Pin 21: *MSG
Pin 22: *ACK
Pin 23: *BSY
Pin 24: *REQ
Pin 25: Ground

DrJohnnyFever
September 10th, 2013, 01:40 AM
I was lucky enough to stumble across two of these at reasonable prices. They work great in an XT as long as you have the right BIOS. For the life of me I can't remember which one I used but I will find out. I have the ability to write EPROMS at work and I have the right ROM image for XTs floating around here somewhere if anybody needs it. If anybody needs a rom written for it and feels like sending me a 27C64 eprom, contact me and I can probably make it happen.