PDA

View Full Version : Pushing the limits 5150 with 5161 expansion

bettablue
September 7th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, and for my own benefit.. As most of you all here know, I have an IBM 5150 with 640 Kb of RAM connected to an IBM 5161 expansion unit that has the original 11 Meg Xebec and a 30 Meg CDS (Control Data Systems) hard discs which gives me a grand total of 40 Megs in storage. I want to know if there is a way to connect my PC directly to my primary Windows 7 computer. I have plenty of available ports, including 2 parallel ports, and at least one additional 9 pin serial port. Can I just connect the two computers together by using one of the 9 pin serial ports? Thanks much.

k2x4b524[
September 7th, 2013, 11:46 PM
i don't see why not, i haven't had the opportunity to try, but personally i would use an 8-bit nic, a crossover cable and some networking software. But, i speak from little knowledge in the issue, as there are those in the forums with far much more know how than i :)

SpidersWeb
September 8th, 2013, 02:31 PM
If it's just for file transfer, I'd use a serial cable + USB serial adaptor (if needed) + FastLynx 3.3 (has a DOS client - although I haven't tested that on an 8088 yet) - you can also use a file transfer parallel cable for this - little bit faster. I use null modem because I like being able to remote upload, but it is slower than parallel. This would let you drag and drop files on to your 5150.

If it's just for fun / networking - then mTCP + 8 bit network

If it's a permanent storage - e.g. mount as E drive, I'd be using a VM to emulate a DOS machine on the Windows 7 computer and making use of INTERSVR or FXLINK (with a serial null modem cable or file transfer parallel cable). I don't recommend this because running programs over a cable can be very slow, and the client is a TSR which sucks up memory.

Stone
September 8th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Does your Windows 7 have a serial or parallel port?

I didn't think so. :-)

But you can add a PCI parallel port and once you do that you will have plenty of options.

bettablue
September 8th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Good call... In fact, I don't have either at the moment. But I plan to add both a parallel and com ports. That would be nice and simple to set up.

Thanks again.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Does your Windows 7 have a serial or parallel port?

I didn't think so. :-)

But you can add a PCI parallel port and once you do that you will have plenty of options.

k2x4b524[
September 9th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Mine has both. Stock. Asus P5N-D Core 2 Quad.

Maverick1978
September 10th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Ditto. Some of the higher-end ASUS boards still come with Parallel and Serial on-board, and mine even came with a hybrid ps/2 port capable of using either a keyboard or a mouse (this was a huge draw for me on this board).

There are also parallel/serial PCI boards available which can add the functionality to your Win7 or Win8 rigs.

SteveMarg
September 10th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I think you can even buy a USB to parallel cable.

Stone
September 10th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I think you can even buy a USB to parallel cable.I have one that I got so my Vista machine could print to my beloved dot matrix parallel printer. It worked sometimes and I finally got tired of its unreliability so I put the printer back on my 233 Pentium tweener which is on the network and has a real parallel port. :-) So now I'm back to 100‰ reliability but I have to turn another machine on when I want to print to that printer. But I still have that PCI parallel port that I never installed. :-) Never hurts to cover all the bases.

bettablue
September 10th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Ditto. Some of the higher-end ASUS boards still come with Parallel and Serial on-board, and mine even came with a hybrid ps/2 port capable of using either a keyboard or a mouse (this was a huge draw for me on this board).

There are also parallel/serial PCI boards available which can add the functionality to your Win7 or Win8 rigs.

I've just placed an order through E-Bay for 1 parallel port and 1 DB9 serial port. These will go nicely into my Windows 7 computer. That way, I'll have both connections available and ready to use when I'm ready to make that particular connection.

Thanks for the info.