PDA

View Full Version : Having XT Fun!

Al Hartman
September 9th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I dragged out my 5160 in a clone case, and tried to boot it. No go.

The switches were set all wrong, so resetting those fixed that. Now, it boots to Cassette BASIC.

I go through all my stuff and don't have an XT Floppy Cable that works with an IBM Floppy Controller.

I have plenty of the later cable, and none of the older ones, except for TRS-80 Cables that lack the twist.

So, I ordered a few connectors to modify one of my existing ones, and now... I wait.

In the meantime, I need to find the three XT RAM expansion boards I have, so I can kick it from 256k to 640k.

Then... I need to build Pearce_jj's IDE card for it so I can use a CF card as a hard drive.

Stone
September 9th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I go through all my stuff and don't have an XT Floppy Cable that works with an IBM Floppy Controller.

I have plenty of the later cable, and none of the older ones, except for TRS-80 Cables that lack the twist.

So, I ordered a few connectors to modify one of my existing ones, and now... I wait.Instead of waiting you could modify one of your existing ones now by simply taking the connector off of one of the later cables. :-)

Or you could add the twist to the TRS-80 cable. That takes about 5 - 10 minutes.

Al Hartman
September 9th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I don't want to try to reuse a connector. I'd rather put a known good, fresh connector on the cable. The TRS-80 Cables are not to be touched. I need one each for the Model I, Model III/4D, LNW, and for my Coco 2 and Coco 3.

I'm still looking for the RAM cards and waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive to build the XT-IDE Controller. I even have an old hard card in here somewhere if I can find it. I also found a stack of old low capacity IDE drives I have to hook up and check out.

I just found three half height floppy drives, a 16 bit IDE/Floppy Controller, a very strange Secondary IDE Controller (16 bit), my old Palm Pilot, and tons of other stuff.

Stone
September 9th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I don't want to try to reuse a connector.FWIW, I've done this exact operation dozens and dozens of times with a 100% success rate.

I'd rather put a known good, fresh connector on the cable.Hey, you'll know it's good when you hook it up after you've done it and it works. Or you can be particularly conscientious and ohm out all 34 positions. It's definately not rocket science. :-)

Al Hartman
September 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I don't want to destroy another cable, OK?

Al Hartman
September 18th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I got the connectors I ordered the other day, but they sent 34 pin, female IDC Connectors (like 3.5" drives use), rather than the 34 pin female edgecard connectors.

*sigh!*

I checked the auction. I ordered the correct items.

Conmega
September 18th, 2013, 09:59 PM
It always sucks to get the wrong item.
I hope you get it worked out and I wish you the best of luck with your XT.

Stone
September 19th, 2013, 02:58 AM
I got the connectors I ordered the other day, but they sent 34 pin, female IDC Connectors (like 3.5" drives use), rather than the 34 pin female edgecard connectors.I bet if you had made you own from your parts it would have come out right. :-)

Al Hartman
September 19th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Make my own connectors???

I guess if I could make my own connectors I'd always get the right one every time. But who makes their own connectors?

billdeg
September 19th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Al,
I have connectors at my house (you too Stone) if you want to swing by. I have the whole cable making set up with a press and dies for 5 1/4 and 8 in drives.
bd

Al Hartman
September 19th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the offer!

I actually have a cable press here that my friend loaned me. Just waiting for replacement connectors to arrive.

Stone
September 19th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Make my own connectors???

I guess if I could make my own connectors I'd always get the right one every time. But who makes their own connectors?Make your own cable, dummy. Like we discussed earlier as in cable modification. :-)

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?39093-Having-XT-Fun!&p=292899#post292899

MikeS
September 19th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Make your own cable, dummy. Like we discussed earlier as in cable modification. :-)Now, now, be nice! I gather that he doesn't have the edge connector he needs to make a cable, or a cable he's willing to sacrifice so why dontcha just send him a cable out of that box of 1000 at your end of the wormhole ;-)

Al Hartman
September 19th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Stone, I AM making my own cable... Hence, ordering the right connectors.

Sheesh!

Stone
September 19th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Stone, I AM making my own cable... Hence, ordering the right connectors.Ya', but you *ordered* the right connectors before and you see where that got you. :-) I was just reminding you that you already had all the *correct* ingredients on hand before.

Al Hartman
September 19th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Ya', but you *ordered* the right connectors before and you see where that got you. :-) I was just reminding you that you already had all the *correct* ingredients on hand before.

No... If I had the "correct ingredients" I wouldn't have had to order new connectors.

Al Hartman
September 22nd, 2013, 08:41 AM
Still arguing with the seller who knows they sent me the wrong thing, but is for some reason not just sending me what I ordered.

They want me to buy again the correct connectors and they will send them for free. I replied, why don't you just ship me what the auction was for, and what I paid for?

While I'm arguing with Hong Kong, I bought a floppy cable on eBay for a buck + shipping.

Stone
September 22nd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Instead of waiting you could modify one of your existing ones now by simply taking the connector off of one of the later cables. :-)

Or you could add the twist to the TRS-80 cable. That takes about 5 - 10 minutes.

I bet if you had made your own from your parts it would have come out right. :-)

Ya', but you *ordered* the right connectors before and you see where that got you. :-) I was just reminding you that you already had all the *correct* ingredients on hand before.

Still arguing with the seller who knows they sent me the wrong thing, but is for some reason not just sending me what I ordered.

They want me to buy again the correct connectors and they will send them for free. I replied, why don't you just ship me what the auction was for, and what I paid for?

While I'm arguing with Hong Kong, I bought a floppy cable on eBay for a buck + shipping.No Comment. :-)

Al Hartman
September 22nd, 2013, 10:16 AM
Why don't you modify one of yours? Because I'm not interested in butchering one of mine. I don't need the cable that badly. I need connectors to make TRS-80 Drive cables besides the one I need for my XT.

Why is it you can't give me the benefit of being a knowledgeable, experienced, computer person who is doing it this way for a good reason?

Stone
September 22nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Why don't you modify one of yours?I did. Do you want it?

Al Hartman
September 22nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
Nope. Got it handled.

No cables were harmed in the creation of this message.

Al Hartman
September 23rd, 2013, 10:37 AM
The correct floppy cable arrived today, and has been installed. XT now boots to MS-DOS 3.3.

My motherboard has the empty socket for the multiplexer chip, and I see where the E2 jumper is. 640k, here I come!

I wonder if the pulled 64k chips will work in a Coco 2?

Al Hartman
October 8th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Ok...

1. Floppy drives are working great with the cable I got from eBay. Connectors I ordered still aren't here because they keep shipping me the wrong ones.

2. Logic board upgraded to 640k.

3. EV-170a Multi I/O board installed and working. Clock has new battery and responds to timer.com.

4. Backpack 3.5" drive is installed and working.

All that's left is to build and test the Lo-Tech XT IDE board. I just need two sockets, and I can finish it up. Hopefully in the next day or two. I'm building two boards, so I have a good chance of having one work first time.

Then, I'll test various hard drives I have to see which will work. I'm thinking of using MS-DOS 5.0 when I install the mass storage. Or, would DOS 3.3 be better?

Caluser2000
October 8th, 2013, 03:21 PM
If you want to put up with 32meg partition sizes use MS/PC Dos 3.3. If not use something else. Compaq had an OEM ver called 3.31 which got over that barrier.

fatwizard
October 8th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I believe that ver. 3.3 will be easier on the 640K than 5 will.

Al Hartman
October 8th, 2013, 03:53 PM
That's why I was thinking DOS 5.00...

vwestlife
October 8th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I'm thinking of using MS-DOS 5.0 when I install the mass storage. Or, would DOS 3.3 be better?

IBM's PC DOS 7.0 uses less RAM than any version of PC or MS-DOS after 3.3, so if you want to upgrade an XT class system above DOS 3.3, I consider it to be the ideal choice.

Using a clean boot from floppy, here's the amount of free RAM (out of 640K) that I got with these versions:

PC DOS 2.00 ... 630,672 bytes
PC DOS 2.10 ... 630,672
PC DOS 3.10 ... 616,432
MS-DOS 3.10 ... 616,432
PC DOS 3.21 ... 609,392
PC DOS 3.30 ... 600,528
MS-DOS 3.30 ... 600,368
IBM DOS 5.00 ... 593,328
MS-DOS 5.00 ... 593,328
MS-DOS 6.00 ... 592,256
IBM DOS 6.10 ... 593,056
MS-DOS 6.22 ... 592,256
PC DOS 6.30 ... 593,024
PC DOS 7.00 Revision 0 ... 593,840
PC DOS 2000 (7.00 Revision 1) ... 593,760

Al Hartman
October 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM
IBM's PC DOS 7.0 uses less RAM than any version of PC or MS-DOS after 3.3, so if you want to upgrade an XT class system above DOS 3.3, I consider it to be the ideal choice.

For such a tiny gain, I'll stick with DOS 5.00. This Computer is not going to do more than copy disks, and manipulate disk images. I might run some 8-bit emulators on it, but there will be plenty of RAM for that.

Al Hartman
October 19th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I received the Flash chip I ordered on eBay today. It was the wrong chip. It didn't work in either board. I ordered two of the correct chip at 3.5x the price of the backordered pair. (4.99 ea. as opposed to $1.36 ea.)

I hate the position of the JP1 jumper on the Lo-Tech card. I can't see the pins when I put my fat little fingers in the case to put it on. I wish it were on the outer edge of the board rather than smack in the center.

I was excited to get my board running, and then after several tries with both boards, I figured out I had ordered the wrong chip. *sigh!*

Al Hartman
October 29th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I got the correct two Flash chips today, installed them and flashed the BIOS to both boards. I did one as 8088 XT and the other for my V20 processor. Still waiting for the adapter for my CF card. If I plug it into the Lo-Tech card, it doesn't clear the floppy controller. So, I need the adapter to use a cable.

I tried several hard drives I had. It only saw the one Maxtor drive but DOS 3.3 refused to delete the non-DOS partition. I have to find a newer DOS on 5.25", or a hard drive utility on 5.25".

Next up is to build the "cheapo" interface for my Model 4D.

pearce_jj
October 29th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Do you need something to clearing the partition table? I have a utility for that already. (http://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/WipeDisk)

By the way, re JP1: it's only there to provide a means of 'emergency' recovery if a bad flash is written that causes the POST to hang. So usually, the jumper should be left in place permanently.

Al Hartman
October 29th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Perfect! I'll give the Wipedisk utility a try!

As for JP1, it gave me a hard time because I can't see what I'm doing, and due to neuropathy, can't feel it either. But eventually I got both boards programmed.

Al Hartman
October 29th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Wipedisk worked a treat, and I'm now using a Maxtor 7345 AT hard drive as the boot volume.

When the adapter arrives, I'll try my 8gb CF card.

pearce_jj
October 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Cool, for is the Maxtor 7345AT running on the Lo-tech ISA CompactFlash adapter?

Al Hartman
October 29th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Yes, programmed with the IDE_XTP.BIN I downloaded from your site.

archeocomp
October 29th, 2013, 11:43 PM
So does the Lo-tech ISA CompactFlash adapter have XT-IDE functionality ? I had the impression it can only support 8-bit devices, as it is based on XT-CF-Lite. Reading http://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/Lo-tech_ISA_CompactFlash_Adapter_revision_2 does not make it much clearer to me.

EDIT: reading blog http://www.lo-tech.co.uk/lo-tech-isa-compactflash-board/gave me an asnwer. ATA-2 compliant devices support 8-bit transfers. Just wondering how many HDDs out there support ATA-2 ?

pearce_jj
October 30th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Answer is, not many. But bear in mind that CF media is very cheap, reliable and fast :)

As far as I know, Al is the first to run an ATA-2 compliant HDD on the board. I'm glad it works!

archeocomp
November 29th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Hi. Could it be possible to attach ATA-2 drive to a 16-bit MultiIO card in an 8-bit slot ? I actually had this idea. Tried MAXTOR 7345AT (not sure it is ATA-2 compliant) with XT-IDE r443 tailored for 16-bit card with no success. Also tried xtide-r566-xt-cf-master-slave BIOS configured in the machine. Config detected 8bit IDE. Tried it but the BIOS did not work with the MAXTOR. I did not even boot from CF card, though it detected the card.