PDA

View Full Version : eBay Global Shipping Program

glitch
September 10th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Have any of our non-US members had any experience with the eBay Global Shipping Program? Apparently the "no listing fees!" bargain this month included having to use the Global Shipping Program, and now I've got an international buyer who's complaining about some insanely high tariff/duty/whatever being placed on a sub-$100 item. I was asked to cancel their bid because it was so much higher than expected.

SParent
September 10th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I for myself simply disregard any listing that use this global shipping thing. Usually when I order an item from the US and get it shipped with USPS, there's roughly a 1 in 20 chance that it gets picked at the customs and then I have to pay for duty, taxes, etc. 19 out of 20 items pass freely, with no overcharge. So I'm not happy with this "service" which guarantees that I will get charged with import duties. IMHO its BS.

snuci
September 10th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I avoid the listings that have the global shipping program for three reasons.

1. Exactly what SParent says.
2. It's generally more expensive even without the duties and taxes. Add the duties and it's astronomical. On the Canadian side, we take our chances with Customs and only on big items did I ever get charges (2 Lisas that both came in two boxes that must have pissed somebody off having to lift in Customs :) ). I don't recall ever paying customs fees on a sub $100 item. This may be the source of frustration.
3. The tracking really blows. Ebay tracking is not very current and only when the US shipper drops it off to Canada Post do you get to see proper tracking... on the Canada Post site no less. I've tried to figure out reference numbers and searched UPS and FedEx but no luck. It's a step in the wrong direction.

On a couple of occasions, I've asked the seller if they would use regular USPS. I've never sold anything but I'd request that you bury the listing cost in the shipping and handling before you use the Global Shipping option.

kingchops
September 10th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I just found out about this when I bought some Apple II cards from a buyer in the U.S. My address to the seller was visible as an address in Kentucky, which obviously was the address of the forwarding company. It threw both of out, because there was no notification that this was going to happen, we only worked out what was going on from a link on the Paypal transaction in Paypal that explained the whole thing. The postage I paid was split between the seller and the forwarding company. Postage was reasonable, so I hope that all goes well and I receive the stuff.

It's good in theory, as many items on U.S ebay are not available to people overseas (very frustrating, but understandable). I'll wait and see if it works before I condemn the whole thing.

Old Thrashbarg
September 10th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to call the Global Shipping Program an outright scam. Costs and tracking issues seem to be the least of the problems with it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijmdVlQ36-w). [Youtube link]

olePigeon
September 10th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I've never used it. I stick with good ol' United States Post Office, and let them connect with whatever regional shipping organization they have in the destination country. Haven't had a problem yet. It takes 2 minutes to fill out the forms online, and they have a presorted list of all the exemptions, import duties (if applicable), etc. It's also really cheap. I just shipped a hefty Quadra 950 (44 pounds, 24"x24"x18" box) to Germany. Cost only $118, +$10 for a sturdy box. FedEx, UPS, and DHL all wanted something the $400 range to ship to Germany.

Trixter
September 11th, 2013, 08:06 AM
I'm curious to see how kingchops' experience turns out. I don't ship internationally because it takes almost 2 hours of my time to deal with everything: 20 minutes for the forms, 15-20 minutes each way to drive to the PO, and the PO routinely has 45-60 minutes waits. You can't put international items in the large "drop boxes" so I can't just show up and drop something off like I do with all my inter-USA shipments. I'm sorry, but unless you paid me more than $200 for an item, my time is worth more than that.

I was thinking of offering international shipping via the Global Shipping option and just stating that up front, along with the reasons why, and a note that if you don't like that policy then don't bid. At least it's an international option as opposed to no international option...

glitch
September 11th, 2013, 08:28 AM
I was thinking of offering international shipping via the Global Shipping option and just stating that up front, along with the reasons why, and a note that if you don't like that policy then don't bid. At least it's an international option as opposed to no international option...

That was my feeling on it initially. It sounds like eBay is doing a good job at hiding the actual expense from buyers until it's time to pay, unfortunately.

Stone
September 11th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I don't ship internationally because it takes almost 2 hours of my time to deal with everything: 20 minutes for the formsI've shipped to 15 - 20 countries on 4 continents and the form (there's only one per shipment) takes me under five minutes. :-)

I don't ship internationally because it takes almost 2 hours of my time to deal with everything: 15-20 minutes each way to drive to the POIsn't that drive exactly the same for a domestic shipment? :-)

I don't ship internationally because it takes almost 2 hours of my time to deal with everything: the PO routinely has 45-60 minutes waits.Isn't the wait the same for a domestic shipment? In all the Post Offices I go to the the line doesn't distinguish between domestic and international. It's the same line.

According to your listed times, it takes you about two hours for an international package and one hour forty minutes for a domestic one. It seems like shipping anything of little value wouldn't be worth it to you no matter the destination.

dorkbert
September 11th, 2013, 09:19 AM
when I purchase international postage through fleaBay, all the forms gets printed with it and all I had to do was sign and drop off at local post office after-hour package chute. larger items I need to wait till the office is open and drop them into a package cart next to the clerk counter. generally in and out in less than a minute; takes longer to get out of the car then lock the car doors...

brain
September 11th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I'm curious to see how kingchops' experience turns out. I don't ship internationally because it takes almost 2 hours of my time to deal with everything: 20 minutes for the forms, 15-20 minutes each way to drive to the PO, and the PO routinely has 45-60 minutes waits. You can't put international items in the large "drop boxes" so I can't just show up and drop something off like I do with all my inter-USA shipments. I'm sorry, but unless you paid me more than $200 for an item, my time is worth more than that.

I would be interested in more detail on your concerns and issues on International shipping, because I don't understand them at all.

I ship Intl all the time. In fact, most of my sales are Intl:

Have you tried printing your postage online, via Paypal (for eBay purchases) or usps.com?
Can you use Carrier Pickup (usps.com)?

If the item is boxes and labeled, you don't have to wait in line to drop off at the PO. Just go to the front of the line and put the box on an empty counter. It's not rude, it's what all of the companies that send bulk email do, and the PO asks them to do that.

Jim

Trixter
September 11th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I've shipped to 15 - 20 countries on 4 continents and the form (there's only one per shipment) takes me under five minutes. :-)

You're amazing.

Isn't the wait the same for a domestic shipment?

No. If the shipment is already labeled and paid, is domestic, and fits into the large metal drawer, I can walk up, drop it in, and leave. Total time spent inside is under a minute.

glitch
September 11th, 2013, 09:48 AM
If the item is boxes and labeled, you don't have to wait in line to drop off at the PO. Just go to the front of the line and put the box on an empty counter. It's not rude, it's what all of the companies that send bulk email do, and the PO asks them to do that.

I know this largely varies by location, but around here you /will/ get chewed out for something like that -- by both the PO and the other customers in line.

International shipping, for me, hasn't been as onerous as for Trixter, but it's certainly more work than domestic shipping. For whatever reason, most of the people working the counter at our local PO are completely baffled by international shipping forms. It's inconvenient enough that I'd consider a /good/ Global Shipping Program beneficial; however, it's not so bad that I'd be willing to ask potential customers to pay the kinds of fees I've been reading about with eBay's GSP.

Trixter
September 11th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Have you tried printing your postage online, via Paypal (for eBay purchases) or usps.com?

Yes but that doesn't eliminate the time spent filling out forms. I do note, though, that supposedly I don't need to present the item/form if it was all filled out online.

Can you use Carrier Pickup (usps.com)?

Nobody is home when our mail carrier arrives, however even if I could use that, there are restrictions. For example, you must be using an expedited service for carrier pickup, and international expedited services are expensive, so hardly anyone picks those.

You seem fairly confident, so I'd like you to comment on the following scenario: Let's say I have an IBM 5150 and 5151 (computer and monitor) boxed separately, and I sell them via ebay to a buyer in Germany. Being two heavy pieces, the buyer does not want an expedited service like Priority Mail as the shipping cost would be close to $200, so he requests cheaper shipping. How would you ship these two pieces to him, with a cost to him lower than Priority, and avoiding the post office line?

Stone
September 11th, 2013, 10:17 AM
You're amazing.Hardly, but if a PS Form 2976 or PS Form 2976-A ever took me twenty (or even ten) minutes to fill out I'd retire from this type of activity immediately and put myself out to pasture. :-)

For four pounds or under:
http://ajh-knives.com/images/Customs_USPS_CN22.jpg

For over four pounds:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zRk7VUfq3mc/S_NBbORvQVI/AAAAAAAAAIk/LgV-FvLovSg/s1600/customs.form.pkgs.jpg

SGTSQUID
September 11th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I've shipped all over the world and the only hassles I've had are when Ebay doesn't like the address, so I have to do everything manually. Other than that it's just a few minutes unless I need to buy insurance at the PO. I haven't tried their gobal shipping thing but I haven't done any any international sales lately (just US coins).

vwestlife
September 12th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I just sold an item to a buyer in Spain via the eBay Global Shipping Program. According to the tracking it just arrived at that place in Kentucky that they have you ship it to, so I'll see how it goes. A previous item I sold a few months ago went to a buyer in Brazil via a place in Florida.

phogren
September 12th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I hope I don't sound like a devil's advocate but for me the system has been good. I would usually NOT ship internationally because it cost the buyers a lot. Add in the extra paperwork, having to go to the Post Office and it's a hassle. Now if an item gets sold internationally it gets shipped to Kentucky with the normal domestic charges and forwarded from there. The other advantage is the Priority mail program. You get a nice new box (I order them from USPS.COM) and hang onto your hats they've been really fast lately. I had a laptop get from the central coast of California to North Carolina in one day in just a Medium Flat Rate Priority mail box. I've received no complaints (knock-on-wood) from international buyers but then again I don't ship that much to outside the USA.

A lot of the BS involved with international shipments is not Ebay's fault (they already have enough faults).

USPS will pick up a priority mail box from your home. I usually just include then with daily mail. No trips to the Post Office required.

glitch
September 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM
From what's been offered to sellers, it /does/ sound like a good option to avoid the cost and hassle of international shipping. I'm just worried -- both from what I've read and personally having a buyer request bid cancellation -- that it might end up being like the Bad Old Days of eBay for international sellers. Remember when shipping for a $1 item wouldn't be available until you received an invoice with a $20 "handling fee?"

mnbvcxz
September 12th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I quickly realised that I would never buy anything from the states, (I live in the UK), as shipping costs were astronomical, with this new scam, the cost appears reasonable if you miss the bit about import charges, these make the total shipping price astronomical again.
It is designed to catch out the unwary foreigner.
I have since watched a couple of youtube videos about this in which they say that the shipping company will strip out the excellent packaging that the seller may have used and repack the item with very little packing material to reduce weight and therefore the cost of shipping abroad, so not only is the buyer fooled by the apparently low shipping price, but they are almost guaranteed that the item will be damaged in transit.
I am almost tempted by a $1000 Hero 1 robot, but I am convinced that it will not reach me without being trashed.

kingchops
September 12th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I quickly realised that I would never buy anything from the states, (I live in the UK), as shipping costs were astronomical, with this new scam, the cost appears reasonable if you miss the bit about import charges, these make the total shipping price astronomical again.
It is designed to catch out the unwary foreigner.
I have since watched a couple of youtube videos about this in which they say that the shipping company will strip out the excellent packaging that the seller may have used and repack the item with very little packing material to reduce weight and therefore the cost of shipping abroad, so not only is the buyer fooled by the apparently low shipping price, but they are almost guaranteed that the item will be damaged in transit.
I am almost tempted by a $1000 Hero 1 robot, but I am convinced that it will not reach me without being trashed.

Not sure what it's like in the U.K, but in Australia, we don't pay import charges on goods less than $1000. I've bought heaps of stuff from the U.S, you pay a bit more for shipping but I don't mind paying for the stuff that I want. The local market here for VC stuff is very small.

Trixter
September 13th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Further research shows that, many times, the Global Shipping service partner completely replaces the packing/packaging when shipping overseas, and they don't pack things in the same manner or quality as they were originally shipped. For common sturdy items, this is fine; for vintage collectible items, this royally blows. I'm now reconsidering offering the Global Shipping option because I don't want the buyer to get a damaged item that they have no recourse for (they can't go after me since I packed it properly when it left my house, and going after ebay is like shouting into the wind).

SGTSQUID
September 13th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Further research shows that, many times, the Global Shipping service partner completely replaces the packing/packaging when shipping overseas, and they don't pack things in the same manner or quality as they were originally shipped. For common sturdy items, this is fine; for vintage collectible items, this royally blows. I'm now reconsidering offering the Global Shipping option because I don't want the buyer to get a damaged item that they have no recourse for (they can't go after me since I packed it properly when it left my house, and going after ebay is like shouting into the wind).

That's all I need to know. I'm always careful about my packing and if they do this then it's not worth it, no matter how much money the buyer or seller can save. The one thing that has pissed me off more than anything from sellers is when they want to save me a few dollars by not packing it properly. Yes, this has happened more than once.

Trixter
September 13th, 2013, 06:56 PM
My "favorite" shipment of all time was a PCjr monitor and case packed into the same box with no padding whatsoever. Most of the plastic was shattered.

I may charge a handling fee if I do decide to do international auctions myself. My time is worth money too.

vwestlife
September 13th, 2013, 08:37 PM
I may charge a handling fee if I do decide to do international auctions myself. My time is worth money too.

If you print out the shipping label on your computer, all of the customs information is automatically entered for you. All the person at the post office or UPS Store has to do is scan in the bar code and it's ready to go. It's no more hassle than shipping a package within the USA.

The only real hassle is for people who don't know how to print out a shipping label on their computer, and they end up spending 15 minutes at the post office filling out the paper customs form by hand, and then waiting another 10 minutes while the USPS clerk types it into their computer. Those are probably the 20% of sellers that the Global Shipping Program is trying to attract by saying "No customs forms to fill out! We do it all for you!".

Trixter
September 14th, 2013, 11:51 AM
All the person at the post office or UPS Store has to do is scan in the bar code and it's ready to go.

...after waiting in line for an hour.

Stone
September 14th, 2013, 12:16 PM
...after waiting in line for an hour.Bitch, bitch, bitch... It's really getting old, like a bad broken record.

Trixter
September 14th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I was merely illustrating my point that the automation doesn't help me because there is a minimum wait time at my PO. It decreases the maximum time, sure, but the minimum time is a 1-hour wait in line.

vwestlife's reply was very helpful and direct. I was not bitching.

Stone
September 14th, 2013, 01:26 PM
How is it that in Chicago there is only one PO near you. I'm in the suburbs and there are six of them within a 10 minute drive. Sometimes the smaller POs don't get that much traffic at the counter.

Trixter
September 14th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I live in Naperville which has one post office open on the weekends for a town of 142,000 people. (The other, smaller PO is only open 9-5 and I'm at work during that time). My workplace building has a PO inside it -- but I take public transportation and I'm not about to lug a 36"x24" box on the bus and train to get it to work.

I won't discuss this further; I have my answers about the global shipping program and international shipping automation options.

vwestlife
September 14th, 2013, 01:43 PM
The USPS would be better-staffed and would be making a good profit right now if it wasn't for Congress's 2006 order that USPS must pre-pay their pension fund 75 years in advance within a 10 year window, at a cost of about $5.5 billion a year. That's why the USPS has been losing millions and has had to close post offices, lay off workers, and reduce hours (leading to those long lines you complain about) in order to stay in business, since they don't get any of our taxpayer dollars.

UPS and FedEx aren't forced by Congress to pay the pensions of future workers who haven't even been born yet, which is why they're in better shape financially. However, if you don't mind the wait in line, the shipping costs at USPS are almost always cheaper, and sometimes significantly so, for the rural areas where UPS and FedEx rely upon the USPS to do the actual delivery -- because while the USPS is Congressionally mandated to deliver to every address and resident in the country, UPS and FedEx don't deliver where it's not profitable for them to run their trucks, so they farm out those areas to the USPS, and tack on an extra surchage to their shipping cost.

Stone
September 14th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Looks like a lot more than one in your vicinity.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=naperville+post+offices&fb=1&gl=us&hq=post+offices&hnear=0x880e5761e216cd07:0x87df9c2c7f203052,Naperv ille,+IL&ei=V-M0UrnmBa3-4AObu4GACA&ved=0CK0BELYD

leeb
September 14th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I don't care how long it takes... USPS > UPS Each and EVERY time!

UPS cannot find a house (mine) that has existed since 1937...
EXCEPT when they are delivering car parts... go figure. :confused:
:D

Trixter
September 14th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Looks like a lot more than one in your vicinity.

Those are UPS stores or drop-off locations only with limited services (such as not accepting international delivery). You are also disregarding the map's scale; those are far away from each other and in different towns. Nor will I give you my exact location, as I don't wish this argument to continue.

Stone
September 14th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Those are UPS stores or drop-off locations only with limited services (such as not accepting international delivery). You are also disregarding the map's scale; those are far away from each other and in different towns. Nor will I give you my exact location, as I don't wish this argument to continue.They are not UPS -- they are USPS. That's not even apples and oranges -- that's apples and flying saucers!

Six of the seven are within a three mile radius. Who cares what the town is called? Three miles = three miles, regardless of the local names in use there. You could find 150 - 200 POs in Los Angeles and some of them might be over 15 or 20 miles from some of the other ones and they would be still in the the same town. :-)

While I haven't been to any of them in your neighborhood I have some doubts as to whether they will not accept international material. The Post Office I use most often is a financial branch or 'drop-off location only' as you put it. So far I've been able to send parcels to Europe (both Eastern and Western), South America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand from there.

Your arguement doesn't hold water, is most likely incorrect in its conception and is indefensible.

vwestlife
September 15th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Getting back to the topic, another problem with the Global Shipping Program is that there appears to be no way to track the package once Pitney Bowes ships it out of the USA. The eBay tracking info redirects you to http://www.trackyourparcel.eu/ which is a very generic and fishy looking web site (reminiscent of the web sites which claim to remove your phone or fax number from a calling list, when in fact they add any number you type in to their telemarketer/fax spam list). And as this thread on eBay's Community Help Boards (http://community.ebay.com/t5/International-Trading/How-do-you-use-the-www-trackyourparcel-eu-web-service/td-p/16785097) says,

With the Global Shipping Program there is no way to track the package (in Europe) once it has left the U.S and the new tracking # redirect you to the trackyourparcel.eu website which ask you to enter a mysterious "Order Reference # which neither the seller nor the buyer have. All you'll get is a repeated "combination not found" error. This is just another of the many flaws of the infamous GSP program which is actually terrible for International buyers. (Extremely expensive, double shipping charges, tracking issues, many extra undue customs charges,etc...). If you're a regular International seller I strongly advise you to opt out of the GSP as long as it is still possible (it is, but very complex and tedious, see other posts about how to opt out), or you will lose most of your International customers and will be very soon flooded by complaints and purchase cancellations.

icequeen
September 15th, 2013, 09:51 PM
You can also request for the post office to pick up your packages to be shipped right at your door..Just look were you print your postage and look for schedule a pick up..

icequeen
September 15th, 2013, 09:59 PM
If you don't like going and waiting at the post office to ship packages, you can order different sized boxes to be delivered to your door free from the USPS sight .I get several different sizes.After I sell on Ebay..I buy and print all my postage for the USA and for International.You can either print the labl from the item you sold or you can go to Print shipping labels on the USPS sight.The custom forms are also there.Just tape all the forms on your box.Then if you look on that same page you can schedule a pick up from the postoffice for your packages to be picked up right at your home on the day you want it to be picked up.That saves anytime and hassles going to the post office..

Chuck(G)
September 16th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Well, I'll tell you where not to get your small eBay parts. I placed an order for some IR phototransistors from an outfit in Thailand. It was shipped via Frankfurt :shock: It finally arrived today, more than a month later. By contrast, I'm used to 5-6 days from China.

kingchops
September 18th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Good news, I got my items today through this program, only eight days from the U.S to Australia.

Trixter
September 18th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Was there evidence of your items being repackaged? If so, how well (or not) were they repackaged?

kingchops
September 18th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Was there evidence of your items being repackaged? If so, how well (or not) were they repackaged?

Hard to say, but they were packed fairly well. I suspect if the forwarding company could re-pack an item to save on shipping they would do it, they'd also have to weigh up the time, cost and risk of re-packing compared to just forwarding the item as is.

The items I bought were fairly small, only a couple of Apple II cards. If this program works as well as this, I'd do it again. Those of us who live outside the U.S have very limited options for buying stuff from the U.S. I've used another forwarding company for a few items but gave up on them, because they were just too expensive.

vwestlife
September 20th, 2013, 09:48 AM
This was in a promotional e-mail I got from eBay: "Remember, the Global Shipping Program is not only a fast, easy way to grow your international sales -- it's designed to keep you protected as a seller, too. If an item gets lost or damaged in international transit, any negative or neutral feedback left by your buyer will be removed. And if an item turns out to be undeliverable, eBay will take care of it for you and your buyer with no worry to you."

I don't agree with that part about negative feedback automatically being removed. If the item gets damaged during the trip from Pitney Bowes in Kentucky to the buyer, obviously it's PB's fault and the seller should not be negged because of that, especially given that PB repackages the items. But if the item gets damaged on its way from the seller to Kentucky due to the seller's own inadequate packaging, PB will say it was already damaged when they received it and will not cover it, and in that case the buyer should be able to leave negative feedback against the seller because of it.

brain
September 20th, 2013, 10:35 AM
You seem fairly confident, so I'd like you to comment on the following scenario: Let's say I have an IBM 5150 and 5151 (computer and monitor) boxed separately, and I sell them via ebay to a buyer in Germany. Being two heavy pieces, the buyer does not want an expedited service like Priority Mail as the shipping cost would be close to $200, so he requests cheaper shipping. How would you ship these two pieces to him, with a cost to him lower than Priority, and avoiding the post office line?

It is true that carrier pickup can only be scheduled for Priority or Express (now called Priority and Priority Express, but whatever), but they will pick up everything you set out, including non Priority Mail.

So, when I am doing a batch of orders, some of them are Priority (like domestic small flat rate boxes, which are $6.00) and I set them *AND* the parcel post/first class stuff. If none of them is Priority/Express, I'll wait a bit (or maybe we have a personal package that is applicable) to trigger the pickup.

You do need to reflect the total weight of *ALL* items in the carrier pickup request, so they know if they need to bring a dolly or bag or something.

On dropping off at the USPS facility, yes, I could see getting nasty looks if you are just some unknown person who comes in, rushes to the front, drops a pkg, and scrams. But, surely there is a way to go in when you have some time, ask the person on duty about an expedited way to drop off such packages, and see if the suggestion will work for you.

USPS lives on business shipping, and that includes eBayers. (The one-off shipments are mainly subsidized by the corporate shipping). So, they have, at least in the past, catered to people they know will drive significant business through the door.

I'm happy to help any way I can. I hate to see things not offered for overseas sales.

On the other hand, and to agree with the OP a bit in general, it frustrates me to no end when customers blame me for customs fees. I can link to a forum thread where a customer took me to task for them having to pay custom fees, as if the price I quote should include shipping *AND* any customs fees. If you as a non-US customer don't like customs fees, please take it up with your friendly governmental resource, not me. I didn't make the rule to charge fees like that. And, the angst I get from folks who don't understand such fees does temper my willingness to sell overseas.

Jim

glitch
September 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
In response to my original concerns, I just received positive feedback from the buyer who won the item that started this thread. 10 days US -> Germany isn't too bad, I just hope the GSP fee is reasonable. So far, I haven't been able to determine what the buyer was actually charged.

Trixter
September 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Thank you, this is helpful. I'll pick the closest branch and ask for suggestions from a postal worker and see what they say.

vwestlife
September 20th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Most post offices (at least around here) have a door inside the lobby with a doorbell button next to it. If you want to drop off a package (with a prepaid label on it) when there a lot of people in line for the main window, you can ring that bell and someone from the back will come out and they can take your box. And they may be able to do so outside of the normal hours. For example at the post office I go to most often, the window is only open from 10 AM to 5 PM, but they said they'll answer the door between 8 AM and 7 PM.

Shadow Lord
September 25th, 2013, 01:48 PM

How did you come up by that conclusion Trixter? Does eBay indemnify you against buyer's protection if you use global shipping? Otherwise, even thought it is the middle man who broke it you as the seller are still on the hook.

Shadow Lord
September 25th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Those of us who live outside the U.S have very limited options for buying stuff from the U.S. I've used another forwarding company for a few items but gave up on them, because they were just too expensive.

This is true. I've sold internationally but never on eBay. If I sell over seas it is at the BIN price, priority shipping with tracking, and payment only through PP. It just isn't worth the eBay BS to sell internationally.

Shadow Lord
September 25th, 2013, 01:53 PM
On the other hand, and to agree with the OP a bit in general, it frustrates me to no end when customers blame me for customs fees. I can link to a forum thread where a customer took me to task for them having to pay custom fees, as if the price I quote should include shipping *AND* any customs fees. If you as a non-US customer don't like customs fees, please take it up with your friendly governmental resource, not me. I didn't make the rule to charge fees like that. And, the angst I get from folks who don't understand such fees does temper my willingness to sell overseas.

Jim

Which is probably why eBay started this in thefirst place. They wanted to reduce the number of returned packages, unpicked up items, and refused deliveries because of custome fees. This way it is all up front and eBay can say hey you got your package. Pretty smart on their part...

njroadfan
September 26th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Most post offices (at least around here) have a door inside the lobby with a doorbell button next to it. If you want to drop off a package (with a prepaid label on it) when there a lot of people in line for the main window, you can ring that bell and someone from the back will come out and they can take your box. And they may be able to do so outside of the normal hours. For example at the post office I go to most often, the window is only open from 10 AM to 5 PM, but they said they'll answer the door between 8 AM and 7 PM.

A friend of mine does the drop off thing all the time. They know him since he is there almost every day, so he leaves the stack of pre-paid packages if there is a line and comes back later to get his receipt.

On the topic of ebay's GSP, its basically an escrow service. ebay used to advise users to utilize a 3rd party service on high priced items until they started getting greedy. One of the most desirable markets that I would buy/sell internationally with, Japan, isn't really covered though. That has to do with the language barrier and the fact that Yahoo auctions is far more popular in Japan than ebay ever was.