PDA

View Full Version : $1,285 for Microsoft Green Eye mous with packaging (holy cow!)

kingchops
September 10th, 2013, 11:14 PM
It seems it pays to keep the original packaging. I was keeping an eye on this flebay auction out of interest. A MS Green Eye mouse in original packaging with disks, it sat at $130 until the end then bang, it finished at $1,285.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281162228591?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

NeXT
September 11th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Really??

You guys, it's a god damn mouse.

Besides some museum with a budget to blow I cannot see WHO would pay that much for a mouse.

Chuckster_in_Jax
September 11th, 2013, 01:19 AM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/a_fool_and_his_money_are_soon_parted

Unknown_K
September 11th, 2013, 01:55 AM
A never used boxed one, I can see that go for some money being rare and all. I think within the next 10 years we will all be shocked how old vintage gear will be the new 60's muscle cars (expensive as hell for rarities and pricey for decent ones).

SomeGuy
September 11th, 2013, 07:03 AM
What I don't get is that I don't think this is even one of their earliest versions. You can see the mouse driver disk in the photo and you can see the version number next to the part number as "200" (2.00). I happen to know that that 2.50 is dated 9/13/84. And there is an earlier version floating around dated 12/31/83 that I believe is 1.10 or 1.50 (no version number in the files but I am positive that is not 1.00).

In other words, I am fairly sure this mouse is from early 1984, when they sold lots of them. They first started selling them in early-mid 1983 and they sold very few for that year.

Had this been from 1983, especially if it had a "1.00" disk, then I could see it going for that amount easily due to the rarity.

The sad thing though is you probably will never see the same kind of love towards Mouse Systems mice - which came before MS!

Trixter
September 11th, 2013, 07:27 AM
You guys, it's a god damn mouse.

Besides some museum with a budget to blow I cannot see WHO would pay that much for a mouse.

I can definitely see paying $200 or more for a boxed, complete, in nice shape original Microsoft Mouse. Most people have them loose, or got them loose as a bundle with Microsoft Word.

For a loose mouse only, yeah, not worth much, although still worth $50 or so for someone who wants to put together a nice exhibit/display of, say, a "typical 1984 IBM XT" or something.

mikey99
September 11th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Nice pictures in that auction listing ! I usually save images for rare items like this into a folder...having those to me is almost as good
as having the mouse.
Advantages:
1) Free
2) it certainly does take less storage space
3) its easier to find when I want to look at it

:-)

NeXT
September 11th, 2013, 08:30 AM
A never used boxed one, I can see that go for some money being rare and all. I think within the next 10 years we will all be shocked how old vintage gear will be the new 60's muscle cars (expensive as hell for rarities and pricey for decent ones).

When that day comes I will actively start pointing and laughing at people for being so stupid.

Unknown_K
September 11th, 2013, 03:28 PM
When that day comes I will actively start pointing and laughing at people for being so stupid.

Why would they be stupid? It wasn't that long ago that most people looked at old computer collectors as being stupid. There are tons of systems and parts I purchased ten years ago people were begging me to take off their hands, now people are starting to pay decent money for the same items.

kingchops
September 11th, 2013, 03:43 PM
What I don't get is that I don't think this is even one of their earliest versions. You can see the mouse driver disk in the photo and you can see the version number next to the part number as "200" (2.00). I happen to know that that 2.50 is dated 9/13/84. And there is an earlier version floating around dated 12/31/83 that I believe is 1.10 or 1.50 (no version number in the files but I am positive that is not 1.00).

In other words, I am fairly sure this mouse is from early 1984, when they sold lots of them. They first started selling them in early-mid 1983 and they sold very few for that year.

Had this been from 1983, especially if it had a "1.00" disk, then I could see it going for that amount easily due to the rarity.

The sad thing though is you probably will never see the same kind of love towards Mouse Systems mice - which came before MS!

Yeah, the plastic outer box is a giveaway to this as well. The first version come out in a cardboard box.

kingchops
September 11th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Nice pictures in that auction listing ! I usually save images for rare items like this into a folder...having those to me is almost as good
as having the mouse.
Advantages:
1) Free
2) it certainly does take less storage space
3) its easier to find when I want to look at it

:-)

Yes, I do this also, especially when the images are nice high res versions. It's a great record to put on the web some day.

dorkbert
September 11th, 2013, 03:45 PM
dammit 'dem crack heads are bidding on fleaBay again...
that or it's an elaborate joke of some kind. maybe I can sell the buyer a lightly used bridge.

SomeGuy
September 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM
maybe I can sell the buyer a lightly used bridge.
If the bridge in any way had anything at all to do with Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, you could probably make that sale.

Chromedome45
September 11th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Ah just greedy eBay sellers are at it again. How about $1295.00 for a TRS-80 Model III or $1,999.00 or even more for a 128k Mac?

NeXT
September 11th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Why would they be stupid? It wasn't that long ago that most people looked at old computer collectors as being stupid. There are tons of systems and parts I purchased ten years ago people were begging me to take off their hands, now people are starting to pay decent money for the same items.

Because collecting computers is all about making your penis feel big on the internet and then shafting people when you think the hardware you spent so much work collecting is then immediately flipped for profit. http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-jerkbag.gif

I must be an insult to you.
I mean, collecting computers for fun and not wanting top dollar when I'm done? The horror!

barythrin
September 11th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Just for my own benefit I was googling for the first Microsoft mouse (wasn't remembering the history of serial vs Microsoft bus mouse). Anyway, for those interested, it's sort of a neat read on this oldmouse.com (http://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/microsoft/) site to see the different mice that were out.

Unknown_K
September 11th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Because collecting computers is all about making your penis feel big on the internet and then shafting people when you think the hardware you spent so much work collecting is then immediately flipped for profit. http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-jerkbag.gif

I must be an insult to you.
I mean, collecting computers for fun and not wanting top dollar when I'm done? The horror!

You are a judgemental little shit aren't you?

Anything anybody does you don't like and they are stupid.

Caluser2000
September 11th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Just for my own benefit I was googling for the first Microsoft mouse (wasn't remembering the history of serial vs Microsoft bus mouse). Anyway, for those interested, it's sort of a neat read on this oldmouse.com (http://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/microsoft/) site to see the different mice that were out.It is quite neat site alright.

1944GPW
September 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM
NeXT,
...a touch of the green-eyed monster, much?
I enjoy your posts which are for the most part knowlegeable but I personally think your comments of 'stupid' etc. etc. and other more derogatory jibes are not warranted.

You don't seem to want to accept there are people out there to whom spending a thousand bucks or more on a collectible item is no problem. Obviously they make enough that the cost to them for this is trivial. The seller didn't list it anywhere near the final price - $125 starting - so why is he/she being tarred with the same brush? If someone really wants something _and_ they have the means and wherewithall, why denigrate them?

I see from your profile you're 23. That's a lot of life ahead of you, and who knows maybe you'll be in a position to spend more in future too. You've expressed your financial situation on this Board and I'm sure it will pick up, if you show some optimism. As such, I can only guess this reinforces the feelings you've expressed.
I'm sure you've got a good collection of vintage gear as it stands, and more power to you if you've been in the right place at the right time to have lucked onto things for a steal. I've sometimes been in that situation myself. Personally nothing annoys me more than acquiring something I have been chasing for years only to be laughed at by someone who says 'yeah, I got a dozen of them, paid a buck each'. So what does that achieve, apart from a sense of ill will.

Some people pay millions for dried paint on canvas. Does that make them stupid too?

If I were in the position to spend that sort of money on a mouse (unfortunately I am not!) and saw the sort of disparaging comments posted here then I couldn't blame the buyer for not wanting to be a forum member, or at least stay anonymous if they are. Then the information they have about their stuff is lost to the forum as a whole, and we would be the worse off for it.

Steve.

Shadow Lord
September 12th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah, the plastic outer box is a giveaway to this as well. The first version come out in a cardboard box.

Really,

I always though the acrylic boxed MS stuff (mouse, SW, or whatever) was the oldest followed by the green boxes, blue, then pink/grey, and then the white boxes of the windows 3.1 era. I know in the SW arena this holds true to a good extent.

pearce_jj
September 12th, 2013, 10:08 AM
This thread should probably be deleted.

Shadow Lord
September 12th, 2013, 10:11 AM
NeXT,
You don't seem to want to accept there are people out there to whom spending a thousand bucks or more on a collectible item is no problem. Obviously they make enough that the cost to them for this is trivial. The seller didn't list it anywhere near the final price - $125 starting - so why is he/she being tarred with the same brush? If someone really wants something _and_ they have the means and wherewithall, why denigrate them?

Aint that the truth and they always seem to bid on stuff I want ;) People drop a $300-$500K on a car and don't even give it a second though about parking it next to a beat up clunker. At least they do in LA. People spend money differently and have different spending habits. This is not the first time we've seen an item hit astronomical values (to us). Plus as time goes on these items become more and more rare. I just hope the winner plans to enjoy it and not just throw it in a box waiting for "the value to go up".

Shadow Lord
September 12th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Really,

I always though the acrylic boxed MS stuff (mouse, SW, or whatever) was the oldest followed by the green boxes, blue, then pink/gray, and then the white boxes of the windows 3.1 era. I know in the SW arena this holds true to a good extent.

I tried to dig up the auction but eBay has wiped it clean. The last green eyed mouse in a box that sold went for $700-$800 I think and that one had a blue box (like the gray eyed one that goes up every other day with a ridiculous price). Of course the picture was "green eyed" on the box and the mouse itself was green eyed. So this one is definitely older then that. Maybe not the very first release but either late 83 or early 84. According to the oldmouse WWW site the gray eyed mouse is 85 and it still had the steel mouse ball....

kingchops
September 12th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Really,

I always though the acrylic boxed MS stuff (mouse, SW, or whatever) was the oldest followed by the green boxes, blue, then pink/grey, and then the white boxes of the windows 3.1 era. I know in the SW arena this holds true to a good extent.

You may be right, I recall seeing one in a cardboard box, but I honestly can't guarantee it was the Green Eye.

1944GPW
September 12th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Here's a scan of the back of a 1983 Microsoft Word 8-page sales brochure I picked up at one of the big PC trade shows in Sydney, either 'Data 83' or 'Data 84'. Unfortunately there are no more detailed pictures of the mouse in this brochure.

SpidersWeb
September 12th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Just for my own benefit I was googling for the first Microsoft mouse (wasn't remembering the history of serial vs Microsoft bus mouse). Anyway, for those interested, it's sort of a neat read on this oldmouse.com (http://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/microsoft/) site to see the different mice that were out.

Nice link, didn't actually realize how old some of the dove bars are. I have a few, finally got one with an InPort connector.

NeXT
September 13th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Cars, art and jewellery have a value you can legitimately weigh. I don't criticize the modern price of a Delorean being $25K or a Toni Onley being $3000.
While I may be young I've spent the last 13 years of my life working on some seriously impressive computers and peripherals. I can see the justification for a PDP-12 costing $5000. I can see why NuBus Two Page Display cards are $10. I cannot however see how a mouse (which even though is in the box is still an otherwise unimpressive retail product) can be worth $1200 in the eyes of someone unless:

1- There is a museum with a budget and needs to secure the item for archival purposes
2- The buyer is misinformed about the actual value of the product and thus assumes that it's safe to blow the monthly salary of the average minimum wage worker on a mouse.
3- It is a component to some embedded system was hard-coded to require with no accomidation for replacement parts.

In this case, option 3 is not relavent.
Before you drag my collection into this, be aware that out of all the hardware I own (and I mean EVERYTHING), I can count the items I paid real money (more than $100 for any single part or system) for with one hand. Everything else came from scavenging, hard work or promises. I've discussed this and pushed my point on this before.

That being said, when someone with poor judgement pays way too much for a piece of hardware I am entitled to laugh. If they complain about it, that's the sound of butthurt. (http://images.wikia.com/youtubepoop/images/d/d7/Troll_Face_Trollface.png)

Does it still make me a bad person to mention you can usually get something cheaper? Even the wealthy sometimes like to pinch a penny.

Agent Orange
September 13th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Cars, art and jewellery have a value you can legitimately weigh. I don't criticize the modern price of a Delorean being $25K or a Toni Onley being $3000.
While I may be young I've spent the last 13 years of my life working on some seriously impressive computers and peripherals. I can see the justification for a PDP-12 costing $5000. I can see why NuBus Two Page Display cards are $10. I cannot however see how a mouse (which even though is in the box is still an otherwise unimpressive retail product) can be worth $1200 in the eyes of someone unless:

1- There is a museum with a budget and needs to secure the item for archival purposes
2- The buyer is misinformed about the actual value of the product and thus assumes that it's safe to blow the monthly salary of the average minimum wage worker on a mouse.
3- It is a component to some embedded system was hard-coded to require with no accomidation for replacement parts.

In this case, option 3 is not relavent.
Before you drag my collection into this, be aware that out of all the hardware I own (and I mean EVERYTHING), I can count the items I paid real money (more than $100 for any single part or system) for with one hand. Everything else came from scavenging, hard work or promises. I've discussed this and pushed my point on this before.

That being said, when someone with poor judgement pays way too much for a piece of hardware I am entitled to laugh. If they complain about it, that's the sound of butthurt. (http://images.wikia.com/youtubepoop/images/d/d7/Troll_Face_Trollface.png)

Does it still make me a bad person to mention you can usually get something cheaper? Even the wealthy sometimes like to pinch a penny.

It's capitalism at its best:

1) I've got it.
2) You want it.
3) Let's make a deal.

Shadow Lord
September 13th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Even the wealthy sometimes like to pinch a penny.

Yes, but not usually when it involves denying themselves. Plus have you heard of that crazy thing called Vertu (http://www.vertu.com/)? They will however gladly pinch a penny in paying taxes, providing workers benefits, giving to charities, etc...

Chuckster_in_Jax
September 13th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Well, another green-eyed mouse just went up on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Green-Eye-Eyed-Mouse-Steel-Ball-First-Mouse-Rare-2-Button-Collectible-/121175871644?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accesso ries&hash=item1c36a5109c

barythrin
September 13th, 2013, 04:27 PM
lol I just now cringed at the thought of that boxed one being shipped.

Shadow Lord
September 13th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Well, another green-eyed mouse just went up on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Green-Eye-Eyed-Mouse-Steel-Ball-First-Mouse-Rare-2-Button-Collectible-/121175871644?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accesso ries&hash=item1c36a5109c

You would be a fool to buy that one. That's the BUS version and needs the BUS controller card from MS which does not seem to be included. Of course if you have the BUS card you maybe able to snag yourself the mouse for cheap!

Agent Orange
September 13th, 2013, 05:41 PM
You would be a fool to buy that one. That's the BUS version and needs the BUS controller card from MS which does not seem to be included. Of course if you have the BUS card you maybe able to snag yourself the mouse for cheap!

Doesn't look anything like my bus mouse (Logitech). Looks like a serial connector to me. Most bus mice had round type connector resembling the PS/2 type connector.

Shadow Lord
September 13th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Doesn't look anything like my bus mouse (Logitech). Looks like a serial connector to me. Most bus mice had round type connector resembling the PS/2 type connector.

This has been extensively discussed on the board before. There were only two versions: a 7 pin BUS version which came long before the rounded PS/2 looking ones and a 25pin serial version. There is no 9 pin serial version. If you look at the pictures for the mouse that started this thread you will see it is also a d-sub connector.

There was even a grayed eye mouse (http://www.ebay.com/itm/190896967227?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2F i.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D1908969 67227%26_rdc%3D1)with the 7 pin d-sub BUS connector. Some guy has been trying to sell it on eBay for months except he can't seem to keep up the listing for more then a day or so....

Agent Orange
September 13th, 2013, 07:31 PM
This has been extensively discussed on the board before. There were only two versions: a 7 pin BUS version which came long before the rounded PS/2 looking ones and a 25pin serial version. There is no 9 pin serial version. If you look at the pictures for the mouse that started this thread you will see it is also a d-sub connector.

There was even a grayed eye mouse (http://www.ebay.com/itm/190896967227?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2F i.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D1908969 67227%26_rdc%3D1)with the 7 pin d-sub BUS connector. Some guy has been trying to sell it on eBay for months except he can't seem to keep up the listing for more then a day or so....

I believe that - I'm not a mouser and never chased any Microsoft hardware. Possibly this rodent: http://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/microsoft/greeneyed.shtml

Caluser2000
September 13th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Found this pic of a 9 pin D stub MS bus mouse, a later series mouse by the looks and card 15177
Seems the slightly larger second gen ones won some design award and were a bit more useful.