PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale along Highway 127

carlsson
August 4th, 2006, 09:57 AM
The World's Longest Yard Sale along Highway 127 takes part this weekend. It is 450 miles long, from Covington, Kentucky through Tennessee to Gadsden, Alabama.

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/21180.asp

Anyone who lives nearby or along the highway? Maybe an opportunity to do a random vintage computing find, or do most people who participate in this yard sale only have "worthless" stuff?

alexkerhead
August 5th, 2006, 02:02 AM
LOL, I live in Alabama.
Problem with that sale is, most people just put a few crappy things out just to say they participated.
While people are wasting time with that, i'll be hitting the real yard sales...bwuhahahaha

Question Carlsson:
Do ya'll have yard sales/lawn sales in Sweden?

atari2600a
August 5th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Another Question: HOW DO YOU ALWAYS KNOW THESE THINGS!? :p

bbcmicro
August 5th, 2006, 04:18 AM
*Black helicopters zooming in..*

atari2600a
August 5th, 2006, 05:56 AM
*Listening to radio, turns the knob & heres "Black Hawk 23 to Nest. Black Hawk 23 to Nest. over. Chh!" "This is Nest responding, over. Chh!" "The swedes know too much, requesting permission to open fire, over. chh!"*

carlsson
August 5th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Alex: Sometimes there is an outdoor flea market, but no regular yard sales, and definitely not one that goes on for several miles along a road.

I picked up the link from another forum, so that's how I found it.

At least in that area nearby the highway, would there be other flea markets and yard sales this weekend, or would everyone concentrate to join this one? I suppose it is not just one single table along the all 450 miles, but several tables wide at some places.

alexkerhead
August 5th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Well, you can estimate the only 72% will participate along the highway, therefore there will be empty yards, but there will be a lot of stuff, but a lot of people will just throw mess out.

We have lots of fleamarkets, we even have ones open 7 days a week where people rent booths.
Lots of used items around.
You might want to take a trip to the southern US one day, and attend some sales.
Like last week, I found a 2200XP with mobo and 1GB ram for $10.
Lots of fun.

NathanAllan
August 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
LOL, I live in Alabama.
Problem with that sale is, most people just put a few crappy things out just to say they participated.
While people are wasting time with that, i'll be hitting the real yard sales...bwuhahahaha

Question Carlsson:
Do ya'll have yard sales/lawn sales in Sweden?
I called my Mom who still lives in TN and she told me pretty much the same, that it was more of an attraction than anything, that people put out their junk and say that they did it. I just wonder that since I used to live there, why didn;t I know about it??

carlsson
August 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Too bad that it turned out as a garbage exhibition.

Yes, there is a flea market that is open seven days a week here as well, just 10-15 minutes walking distance from where I live. Some vendors have computer related stuff (typically in the segment between vintage and modern - is it called "obsolete"?) but usually their initial prices are ridiculous enough to not make it worthwhile to start haggling.

atari2600a
August 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM
You guys are lucky! Here in Schwarzeneggerville (Formerly known as Sacramento), we only have 2 flea markets, open only on weekends!

carlsson
August 5th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Well, Mon-Fri only a few people, typically those who otherwise are unemployed or retired, are running booths. Ditto for the visitors, at least during non-vacation periods. The same place that is crowded on a Saturday or Sunday is ghostly empty on a Tuesday noon. Many of the permanent exhibitors pull curtains over their booths while they're not there.

Maybe I'll check out that place today (already Sunday here), but I think I have more important matters like perhaps buying a second hand freezer as the freezer compartment on my combined refridgerator/freezer seems to have given up the ghost. I don't know which temperature it used to hold, but recently it barely makes -5C which is way too warm for deep frozen food.

tgunner
August 5th, 2006, 08:25 PM
All you guys are lucky! I got nothing where I am. No flea markets, no thrift shops, no electronic shops... no nothin'! There are however, some good yard sales, but they rarely result in computers. I rely on people from my mom's technologically (spelling?) inclined coworkers, and work. I have a lead right now on a quote: "whole mess of" IBM's and clones! Waiting on that one....

NathanAllan
August 6th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I'm almost in the same boat as you, tgunner, there's only one flea market here on weekends that's promising, and one that is totally not worth going to. In the good one, I might find and Apple machine, or a few gaming consoles, but most of the time they're overpriced and the people are real jerks. The companies around here that have computers upgraded in bulk usually have a parent company that the old ones get shipped back to for disposal so noone local gets a chance. And for some genius reason the city taxes yard sales so stuff gets overpriced and even if there's a gem or three out there, people from Mexico sweep in and snag it and take it back there. I got nothing against the people, they're forced to do that by the corrupt gov't(no middle class). Any electronics shops are mostly latest-and-greatest places, but there is one that is owned by a vintage lover.

So I might find something once a month that's good. I still am not giving up hope, still searching the city. It's big.