PDA

View Full Version : Cheap GB switches

Unknown_K
September 24th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Newegg has TRENDnet TEG-S8g Switch 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet 10/100/1000Mbps for $17.99 shipped so I snagged two of them. Anybody here use them? I have been using 10/100 hubs and switches for 20 years at home, figured it was time to update the network for newer machines while the vintage stuff stays on 3com 10/100 switches.

barythrin
September 24th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Good price! I haven't run their equipment before but I'm sure it'd be fine for general use. The only cheap switches I've really seen screw things up are all in the wifi performance. Typically wired is pretty good as long as you aren't doing any weird packet smashing exercises.

glitch
September 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Obviously don't expect features of more expensive, managed switches. I don't think any of my cheap gigabit switches (mostly Netgear 8-port models) even support jumbo frames. As to my experience, the cheap Netgear switches in the blue metal boxes are OK. Much faster than any 100 mbit switch, and if you have cheap, integrated gigabit NICs, you probably won't notice any speed loss at the switch. Even "server" grade cheap-o NICs (Broadcom et al.) won't get near saturating the switch.

Unknown_K
September 24th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I figured it would save time moving large ISO's around between my newer machines and my server in the basement. My broadband cable modem doesn't do more then 1.5MB/sec with this service so even 100Mb Ethernet isn't a major issue.

Old Thrashbarg
September 25th, 2013, 07:49 AM
I've used a few of those Trendnet switches in various places, and they seem to work as well as any other unmanaged switch. My only complaint with 'em is that they use cheap capacitors, but I haven't gotten any of 'em back for repair yet, so I don't know if that'll end up being a problem or not.

Unknown_K
September 26th, 2013, 10:34 PM
They came in and I set them up. Unfortunately my main misc machine only has 10/100 Ethernet (was going to upgrade the MB anyway). Doing a quick transfer between the server and a game rig I was getting 30MB/sec (10MB/sec is normal for 10/100 from what I recall). I assume the speed of both HDs limits the speed, what is normal for GB transfers?

barythrin
September 27th, 2013, 09:53 AM
That would be a great thing to see charted out. I'm not sure if everyone else here has had similar experience as my friends and I have but when we all got our first network gear it seemed like a GB was a few minutes. Later and later it seems like transfer speeds deteriorate. I've never really pinpointed the issue but I know a very overlooked problem is network cables, so perhaps that's part of it. Using old cables or old wire to make new cables perhaps is adding to packet loss/retransmission issues? But I'm also guessing the size of the files we all carry around and noisier less compressed data are probably an invisible force that's

The other part is what type of data since cheaper hubs and switches also have burst mode which can sometimes exceed the max speed or even compress the data during transfer to get some performance tricks out of the network.

On paper (bits per second to bytes per second)
10Mbps = 1.25MBps
100Mbps = 12.5MBps
1000Mbps = 125MBps

So theoretically 75MB per minute, 750MB per minute (obviously not happening), or 7.5GB per minute. I don't know what speeds I've ever seen but don't feel like I ever achieve 100Mbit at those specs.

Old Thrashbarg
September 27th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Realistically, ~90MB/sec is about the best you should expect out of gigabit, and that's under ideal conditions. For just a random average drag-and-drop transfer, on random average hardware, anywhere in the range of 30-50MB/sec is pretty reasonable. A lot of things can affect the speed... the NIC you're using, the switch, the cabling, the speed of the drives, the sort of things you're transferring, and the list goes on...

Unknown_K
September 27th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Newer HDs can easily do 100MB/sec in reads but writes are much slower so that seems to be the major speed limit (outside of defective or very long Ethernet cables).

Unknown_K
October 10th, 2013, 10:14 AM
60-70MB/sec on machines with newer HDs (2TB to 4TB). Worth the effort.