PDA

View Full Version : Apple IIe - worth or not?

Luke
August 4th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Hello.
Few days ago I saw Apple IIe on auction.
It's working with green mono monitor, one big and black floppy drive and some documentation.
Seller says, that computer is yellowed and a bit dirty.
It starts from 99 PLN witch equals ~25 dolars.

Here is link to the auction:
http://allegro.pl/item118969286_apple_iie_klasyk_vintage.html
Page is in Polish. At the bottom you can see the photos.

Can you tell me if it's worth to buy it?
I don't know anything about Apple computers, I haven't even used one.
But they are more often on auction in my country than original IBM PC's.

Erik
August 4th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I just gave away 2 Apple //e systems last week. I've also posted several ads for people trying to give them away.

That said, shipping from here to Poland would cost well more than $25, so the price isn't awful.

Terry Yager
August 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I just gave away 2 Apple //e systems last week. I've also posted several ads for people trying to give them away.

That said, shipping from here to Poland would cost well more than $25, so the price isn't awful.

MeToo! I still have a couple of 'em, free for shipping (no monitors or disk drives tho).

--T

Luke
August 4th, 2006, 01:56 PM
If they are so common I'll wait and now spend my cash for getting my XT full working.

Apples are interesting for me, but fact that's yellowed will keep me away from this one.

Thanks for fast info!

Luke
August 5th, 2006, 06:41 AM
...how can I check date of it's production?
If it's from early '80 I might buy this one ;).
They were produced for veeery long time...

billdeg
August 7th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Luke,
There are three major iterations of the Apple ][e. Personally, I value the first version which when powered on displays "Apple ][" on the monitor (I just checked mine) when no disk is present in the drive. These are rarer than the newer upgraded Apple //e's, and add to this the fact that most people upgraded the original stock first rev models. It's harder to find an un-upgraded Apple ][e. If you don't see "Apple ][" on the screen, the computer has been upgraded no matter what rev the motherboard is.

That does not mean that they are super rare, just harder to find than the newer ones. I might venture to say that the first Apple ][e's are rarer than the later Apple ][+'s, but I may be wrong.