PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: DVD to ISO converter program, that works in Vista

billdeg
September 30th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Hi...any suggestions for a DVD --> ISO conversion program that does not come with a bunch of adware? Nothing fancy, just a quick program to make an ISO that I can upload to an FTP server. I am using MS Vista. I have been attempting to download and install something good, so far it's all junk! I don't like playing Russian Roulette with my computer. thanks in advance.
Bill

Hatta
September 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM
dd (http://www.chrysocome.net/dd) ought to work.

billdeg
September 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM
thanks, making image now.

SomeGuy
September 30th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I use ImgBurn 2.4.4.0 and it can do things like that. It also runs under Windows 95! :D It can even split/combine images for filesystems limited to 2 or 4 gig filesizes. Haven't checked lately to see if they have gone down hill like so many other programs.

Old Thrashbarg
October 1st, 2013, 06:02 AM
ImgBurn has started packaging some pretty nasty spyware in the installer program. I believe 2.5.7 was the last 'safe' version. The older versions bundled the Ask toolbar, but it could at least be deselected without any trouble... the OpenCandy thing they use in the newer versions is quite a bit more insidious.

SomeGuy
October 1st, 2013, 07:09 AM
Wow. Just wow. I miss the days when computers didn't try to rape me up the butt every time they are turned on.

Stone
October 1st, 2013, 07:14 AM
I have a copy of ImgBurn 2.4.4.0 if that's of interest to anybody.

Hatta
October 1st, 2013, 07:26 AM
Wow. Just wow. I miss the days when computers didn't try to rape me up the butt every time they are turned on.

Stick with open source software, and you won't have that experience.

krebizfan
October 1st, 2013, 10:50 AM
Stick with open source software, and you won't have that experience.

Actually, a number of open source solutions have installers for Windows that are combined with very invasive advertising programs. PeaZip has a sourceforge page and cheerfully includes OpenCandy just to provide that awesome feeling of sharing personal data to lots of companies and get you to download lots and lots of useless and unwanted programs. Compile from scratch is becoming the only safe way to download except for those open source programs that incorporate the ads into the source.