PDA

View Full Version : My second XT

fatwizard
October 6th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I had a 5160 lurking in my stuff since it was given to me in the 90's sometime. About a year and a half ago, I stumbled on it during a big purge in the shop, and something just snapped in my head. That started the whole "vintage computer" collecting thing with me.

Naturally I wanted another one to go with the first one and the 5150 I had acquired, so I bought a real ratty looking one cheap on Fleabay. It came with only the floppy controller and 360K drive, a 256K motherboard, power supply and speaker inside. No other expansion cards and no hard drive. It was filthy and banged up, but it powered up. I disassembled it right then and cleaned up all the electronics, but I only put it all back together recently, outfitting it with an AST Sixpack multi I/O card with 384K of additional ram, and a ST 412 hard drive I had also gotten on eBay. I had been successful in the rehab of the drive and I had an original IBM/Xebec controller to go with it.

The system works perfectly now, but will carry some cosmetic issues with it forever. One thing it was missing was screws. I'm talking the 6-32 thread, 3/16th slotted hex head screws. I ended up using the last of my supply of them putting it together, and I'm still four short. I know that modern computer screws will work, and after looking at some other threads here, it seems the original type screws are not easy to find. If they are to be found, someone here will know about it.

I also would like an opinion on the model ID badge on the back of the machine. The clear top layer is delaminating (check photo). I'm hoping maybe someone knows a way to fix that.

Thanks for letting me share the fun. Any opinions or insights are very much appreciated.

Old Thrashbarg
October 6th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I also would like an opinion on the model ID badge on the back of the machine. The clear top layer is delaminating (check photo). I'm hoping maybe someone knows a way to fix that.

I'd say the best way to fix that is to peel it off. It's not a clear top layer that's delaminating, it's just a protective film they put on to keep it from getting scuffed up during shipping/handling, same as they do on devices now. It was meant to be peeled off when the computer was unpacked... it's just that people tend not to notice such things, so they often don't get removed.

fatwizard
October 7th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Oh! Ha ha ha ha! The piece of plastic is quite thick. Modern electronics uses a protective film to protect against scuffs. Of course the whole computer is much more robust than it's modern counterparts, so it shouldn't surprise me. A close inspection of my other XT revels no plastic outer layer on the badges. I feel a little stupid, but this is how I have learned all that I know. When someone who does know tells me.

Thanks Old Thrashbarg