PDA

View Full Version : 130XE -- How to fix a dead key?

Load"*",8,1
October 10th, 2013, 10:51 PM
I found a 130XE in (what seemed to be) decent condition yesterday, and for the most part it seems to work, with one exception: the Start key doesn't work (and the Option key might be heading that way). Is there any way I can fix these keys and thereby salvage the machine?

EDIT - Heh, well, I feel silly now. This was a really easy fix. I opened up the keyboard, cleaned the dirt off the mylar membrane's contacts under the function keys, and now it works. Crisis averted. :)

offensive_Jerk
November 3rd, 2013, 05:52 AM
I found a 130XE in (what seemed to be) decent condition yesterday, and for the most part it seems to work, with one exception: the Start key doesn't work (and the Option key might be heading that way). Is there any way I can fix these keys and thereby salvage the machine?

EDIT - Heh, well, I feel silly now. This was a really easy fix. I opened up the keyboard, cleaned the dirt off the mylar membrane's contacts under the function keys, and now it works. Crisis averted. :)

Lucky. My 800 XL still has the keys ASDFGH that don't work and cleaning didn't help. My other XL, the keyboard was not working at all, so I cleaned the membrane ribbon that plugs the keyboard into the computer.

billdeg
November 4th, 2013, 03:44 AM
side note...for the first time ever I used a 130xe this weekend. My system's keyboard is ok. I don't have much software that is 130xe-specific. Are these the "c-128's of the Atari world"? In that both systems, despite the manufacturer's intentions, were in the end used mostly to run older system's software?

vwestlife
November 4th, 2013, 06:50 AM
I don't have much software that is 130xe-specific. Are these the "c-128's of the Atari world"? In that both systems, despite the manufacturer's intentions, were in the end used mostly to run older system's software?

The 130XE was really the same thing as an 800XL with more RAM (128K total) and a new memory management chip ("FREDDIE", which was also put in the 65XE and XEGS even though they only had 64K RAM). Some software used the extra RAM, but not much. The 130XE also got the ECI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Cartridge_Interface), while only the European PAL version of the 65XE got the ECI.

Load"*",8,1
November 17th, 2013, 01:56 PM
side note...for the first time ever I used a 130xe this weekend. My system's keyboard is ok. I don't have much software that is 130xe-specific. Are these the "c-128's of the Atari world"? In that both systems, despite the manufacturer's intentions, were in the end used mostly to run older system's software?

Funny coincidence: when I found that 130XE at my local Goodwill, it was sitting on the shelf next to a C128 and a 1541 disk drive. Needless to say, my jaw just about hit the floor and I bought up all three on the spot. The C128 worked flawlessly (I at least have some C64 cartridge games to test on it), but I have no disk programs I can use to test the drive, so I still don't know whether that works.

Also, in the weeks since I found that XE, I've also added an original Atari 800 to my collection, so now I should be pretty set compatibility-wise (to the point were I probably don't even need to keep my Atari 5200 anymore: so long, world's worst joysticks!).