PDA

View Full Version : Banging your head against a wall of stupidity

nige the hippy
August 6th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Trying to get my workshop / music room sorted at the mo. it suffers from damp to a certain degree, I knew this when I bought the house, but it didn't appear to be serious.

There's a myth that perpetuates amongst all mortgage providers, in the uk at least, in that "All old houses suffer from rising damp". This has resulted in a proliferation of companies over the last 25 or so years, providing injected damp proof courses.

this statement assumes two things,... 1) that the damp matters, and 2) that water flows uphill.

of course there's a small amount of capillary action in a brick, but these assumptions have resulted in C**P contractors in my place drilling through a perfectly good slate damp course every 6" to inject a liquid one, and completely missing the "mortar course" of spongy wood one brick above it, linking the below-ground bridge to the front door, with the wall of the basement, and making a really effective "water pipe" just behind the plaster. and also the fact that the ground outside the basement was built up to just above the level of my floor. Every job that was done in my house, usually by professionals, was botched.

Result... every job I start involves loads of extra work correcting a previous horror.

Is it anyone else's opinion that everyone's job is just-a-bit-too-difficult for them to do right?

dpatten
August 8th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Don't know if this is relevant, but in Florida we have similar problems. Of course no one here has basements because you can make a well by digging a foot down.

One of my co-workers actually had water being forced THROUGH the concrete block/stucco that his brand new home's walls were made of during our last hurricane season. Apparently the masonry, while solid, is still sufficiently porous that 80 MPH winds or even simple standing water will migrate through it, ruining wallboard, wooden wall studs etc.

IIRC he had to repaint the exterior of the home with something with a bit higher sealing quotient than the latex paint the builder applied, then reapply paint

I suspect that they make something similar for basement walls.