PDA

View Full Version : Can one still get a 20-22" CRT Monitors? Are there alternatives?

Springbok
October 16th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I was wondering if it is still possible to find monitors like the IBM c220p or NEC FP2141SB.

Are there LCD alternatives that won't have issues running on a pentium or playing vintage games?

Chuck(G)
October 16th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I think so--I took two of them to the local computer recycler last year. That might be a place to start with.

NeXT
October 16th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Seconded. Check recyclers. Most second hand stores won't take in CRT's at all, especially ones that big.

amadama
October 16th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Some of the older 20" 4:3 aspect ratio LCD's with 1600x1200 resolution are a good alternative (HP LP2065 is a great one, HP 2025 is older but has lots of inputs including composite and svga). Also look on Craigslist for the big CRTs and try to pick up locally. The shipping is killer on these guys.
Expect to pay between $0 and $25 for a good 21" CRT. If you can find one with both DB15 and BNC connections it's a bonus. I like the Sony Trinitron based CRT's as well as the Viewsonic ones. Now if you can find an NEC Multisync 5D that is the jackpot in my book!
I use a Viewsonic P810 for a lot of my PC's and Unix workstations. I've had it new since 1998.

PeterNC
October 17th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Craigslist / American Listed / Bonanza / FreeCycle / eBay Classifieds and other classifieds websites are the way to go. It is a matter of perseverance. You are fortunate that you live in an area where you can easily get to places miles around you. Mr. amadama and myself are stuck on an island which makes it harder to get to stuff. I bought a 21" Dell with a Trinitron last week but it turned out to be a dud so I dropped it off @ my local Best Buy (and got my $20 back). :)

I personally love Eizo CRTs but those are really hard to come by. I am using a Philips 109B right now (kind of a sentimental thing: being Dutch and all you know). ;)