PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: round 9-pin serial mouse or adapter?

ciabchumps
August 7th, 2006, 01:31 AM
My mom's old business computer's (486dx i believe) mouse is on the fritz and I haven't been able to find anything online to replace it. When I google 9-pin serial mouse all i get is the trapezoidal (d-type?) serial port.

here is a picture of the end of the mouse:

http://www.stevekim.net/!/mouse.jpg

is it even a serial mouse? or something else? the computer is so dang old i don't know what i'm looking at.

my mom is so frustrated she wanted to get a new computer, which means spending over $2000 in new software (she does computer embroidery). i almost flipped when i heard that.

would appreciate any help or pointers.

thanks,
steve

atari2600a
August 7th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I'm not the most intelligent member here, but I'll throw in my 2 cents:

Google the manufacturer &/or the model number on the mouse, & if you're lucky, you might be able to find the pinout of the port, & you might (not sure at all) be able to create an adapter for use w/ a standard mouse! (No promises)

If you're going to buy a new computer, Apples are good "All in one" machines.

If you want to take any old Pentium 2 or 3 system & use it, I'd suggest Linux, preferably Ubuntu Linux. This would be the Cheapest - & probably easiest - Solution...

dongfeng
August 7th, 2006, 04:03 AM
I've never seen a mouse like that! I would think the easiest fix would be to buy an expansion card that either has a serial or PS/2 port, and use a standard mouse.

carlsson
August 7th, 2006, 05:34 AM
It is a full-size DIN, not a mini-DIN? I have vague memories of such connectors, maybe dating back to the Wang PC era and alike. I'd like to think it is a video connector, but you can't mistake a mouse for a monitor. A 486DX that has a such type of mouse or anything must be a special brand. Maybe you can see if the computer has a more typical DB9 (or even DB25) serial port and get a serial mouse to it. I believe a few non-IBM 486:s had a PS/2 option too, but it may be more common on early )and more recent) Pentium systems.

Terry Yager
August 7th, 2006, 06:06 AM
It's called a 'Bus Mouse', and they aren't very hard to come by. Just did a quick eBay search, found this (note the connector):

http://cgi.ebay.com/6PCS-BUS-MOUSE-3-BUTTON-MICE-IBM-ATI-APPLE-MAC-SUN-NEW_W0QQitemZ300014927279QQihZ020QQcategoryZ23160Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Alternately, the bus mouse usually runs from it's own interface card, which can be removed (or disabled) to use a serial mouse instead. This may be necessary if it turns out that the card is bad and not the mouse itself.

--T

dongfeng
August 7th, 2006, 08:00 AM
6 of them! That would be enough for the next 90 years :D

chuckcmagee
August 7th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Yep, "bus mouse" is what I thought when I saw the pic. Yep, yep, separate card, etc. etc.

carlsson
August 8th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Me too, but I didn't find any conclusive evidence and focused on a full-sized connector. Apart from video editing equipment, I'm quite sure I've seen those on computer stuff (at least the Wang, but it is many years ago).

doppleganger
August 8th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I think I have ps/2--bus mouse converter... in my graveyard... these are not really that uncommon, are they?;)

Micom 2000
August 11th, 2006, 01:16 AM
I think I have ps/2--bus mouse converter... in my graveyard... these are not really that uncommon, are they?;)

They would be extemely rare and perhaps you're mistaking a serial mouse for a bus mouse.

I only have one amid the multitude in my collection.
I also have a PC card in an Amiga 2000 which has a connector for one.

In the early Winblows you almost had to have a bus-mouse in order to use it. IIRC the serial PC mouse came later. And of course the PS/2 mouse later still when IBM introduced the 8580 and the other PS/2 models.

Lawrence

Unknown_K
August 11th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Adapters won't work on a BUS card since the mice operate differently, I think the BUS mouse sends the data to the card to decipher movement while a ps/2 and serial mouse do some signal converting in the mouse itself.

Old ATI ISA video cards used to have BUS mice ports built in.

compu_85
August 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Ya that's a bus mouse. You see them from time to time on ebay.

-Jason