PDA

View Full Version : For the love of God... I want an IBM 5170 manual...

Super-Slasher
October 24th, 2003, 06:38 PM
They usually come in sets of three books in 3-ring binders that are quite thick and cover the PC AT from case to screw. If anyone has one/them, maybe they could scan them in?

I've been trying to get the books themselves so I could scan them, but whomever I meet who has them asks rediculous (atleast to me) prices. I'll keep trying, though...

:)

Erik
October 24th, 2003, 06:43 PM
What do you consider rediculous prices?

I've seen complete AT manual sets, NIB, on eBay for under $60 which I think is fair (considering condition).

Or are you talking about the Technical Reference manual? Those are a bit more costly. . .

Erik

Super-Slasher
October 24th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Well, because I'm an unemployed Canadian, anything over $20 US is stupendous, hehe!

And I'm talking about the referance -and- technical documentation books for the AT, together. I've been told prices between $40 and $100 for the three books from different owers.

Oh well, if I want them bad enough I'll save my money and pay. Which is quite difficult, seeing how I need a math coprocessor now, too.

The trial and tribulations of vintage computer restorations... :)

mbbrutman
October 26th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Slasher dude, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

I bought a PS/2 BIOS reference. That led to buying a 3 volume set called "Technical Reference: Options and Adapters". The outlay was over $100 US, and I was happy to find it - they're rare.

I have the AT Tech ref. Is there something in particular you need? There isn't enough time in my lifetime to scan it, so don't even think about it. :-)

While we're on the topic, I'd like to find a PC tech ref and an XT tech ref. I have a PCjr tech ref, and having the set would sure help me on my Jr problems ... (It's nice to see how the 'big' boys did things so that I can tell what's messed up about the Jr.)

barryp
October 26th, 2003, 07:54 PM
They usually come in sets of three books in 3-ring binders that are quite thick and cover the PC AT from case to screw.

Actually there are a lot of manuals. I used to have the PC/XT Hardware TRM, I do have (somewhere) an older DOS TRM which prolly covers up to about 3.00 or so.

Super-Slasher
November 26th, 2003, 04:12 PM
I have a working scanner now, so if I could only borrow the books I want.

Maybe I'll try probing around in the city a bit deeper. The PC AT was a most popular system in the mid-to-late 80's, surely there must be a copy of atleast one of the books in my city of 40,000...

dongfeng
July 12th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I know it is a REALLY old thread, but are you still after a set of 5170 AT manuals? On eBay UK at the moment are two auctions, one for the Guide to Operations and Installation and setup books, the other for Hardware Maintenance and Service volumes 1 and 2:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170005062574

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170005060552