PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5170 unusual Quadtel bios

Erwin-c64
November 5th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I just got an IBM 5170 which has it's bios replaced with Quadtel. Does anyone have any information about the use of this bios in an 5170? I have found this brand to be used by several other 286 boards but can't find anything related to the IBM AT.

Also would anyone be interested in a dump before I empty the eproms and replace it with the correct bios for this machine?;)

Stone
November 5th, 2013, 08:15 AM
You can either dump it to a file and save it or just use two other EPROMs and store the ones with the Quadtel. Doesn't that make more sense? Then you can have a choice. :-)

krebizfan
November 5th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Are you sure that the motherboard is the original 5170 board? Quadtel BIOS frequently came with replacement higher speed motherboards which might not work with the original IBM BIOS.

SpidersWeb
November 5th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Certainly make a dump of it before you do anything. I'm aware of the Award and AMI options, but never Quadtel, would be interested in what it does differently.

Erwin-c64
November 6th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Ok I removed the IC's and dumped the content. After some bytewise unification I found the following text inside:

Copyright 1987-1990 Quadtel Corp. Version 3.05.01 All Rights Reserved

Quadtel Enhanced 286 BIOS Version 3.05.01

press "Ctrl-Alt S" for SETUP.. "Ctrl-Alt +/-" for SPEED CHANGE

01/07/88

If anyone knows how to contact the mysterious person behind minuszerodegrees, he or she might be interested in this.15825

Erwin-c64
November 6th, 2013, 06:32 AM

That's the board. Bios has probably been replaced because of the Western Digital MFM controller card which would have caused an error message with the orignal bios in place.

Stone
November 6th, 2013, 06:40 AM
If anyone knows how to contact the mysterious person behind belowzerodegrees, he or she might be interested in this.15825If you mean minuszerodegrees he is modem7.

SpidersWeb
November 6th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Press CTRL+ALT+S to enter setup.

Nice. I miss those setup keystrokes - could enter the BIOS from almost anywhere - not just during the RAM test.
Will be keen to find out if there is any advantages of this BIOS over the AMI and Award alternatives.

Chromedome45
November 6th, 2013, 03:04 PM
And that is definately a type II or III IBM AT motherboard. The one thing you loose is the BASIC in ROM though. But not a big deal

modem7
November 6th, 2013, 09:13 PM
If anyone knows how to contact the mysterious person behind minuszerodegrees, he or she might be interested in this.

If you mean minuszerodegrees he is modem7.
Guilty as charged.

Yes, interested. I will put it on my web site. More optional BIOS' can only be an improvement. Thank you. I am sure someone will use it 'down the track'.

modem7
November 8th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I have added the BIOS to my web site: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/bios/bios.htm#5170

Anonymous Coward
December 26th, 2013, 10:54 PM
I think I actually have a Phoenix BIOS somewhere that works in the original AT. I didn't see that one on your list.

modem7
December 27th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I think I actually have a Phoenix BIOS somewhere that works in the original AT. I didn't see that one on your list.
If you find it, I will add it. But don't go out of your way; three alternatives is already enough.