PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where I can find these brackets

Springbok
November 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I have 2 of them, and I am looking for 2 more. They are used to "combine" two 5.25" half-height drives in a full height opening as found in the IBM 5150 and 5160. I have scoured eBay and cannot find any.

Thanks15831

dorkbert
November 6th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I have a set. I bought them a few years ago on fleaBay. with drive, and told the guy to keep the drive, ship just the brackets.
Unless authenticity is crucial, it might be easier to find a local machine shop and have them fab the brackets instead.

Springbok
November 6th, 2013, 12:48 PM
That is what I feared. Going to go to Homey D's and see what I can find.

framer
November 6th, 2013, 07:07 PM
I recently made a couple of sets from scrap aluminum. They are not that hard to make.

framer

modem7
November 6th, 2013, 09:01 PM
you may be able to get away with making up some metal strips per the following diagram.
They don't have to be made of metal. Anything sturdy emough for the job will do.

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/images3/ibm_side_plate_4.jpg

RWallmow
November 7th, 2013, 05:31 AM
you may be able to get away with making up some metal strips per the following diagram.
They don't have to be made of metal. Anything sturdy emough for the job will do.

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/images3/ibm_side_plate_4.jpg

Never underestimate what you can make with simple ERECTOR-set (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erector_Set) parts, I have made all kinds of brackets from a cheap (sub $10) "lot" of miscellaneous ERECTOR-set parts I got off ebay (you can find them at garage sales, flea markets, and goodwill sometimes too).

Chuck(G)
November 7th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Blank PCB stock will probably work fine, as will acrylic sheet. I like the former because it's easy to work and is conductive.

SpidersWeb
November 7th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Whatever you use, you want it to be thin.

The original IBM brackets (which appears to be in the photo) were also used with tapered screws so they sat flush with the bracket - and then (at least on mine) a little bit of a wiggle was needed because the case wasn't designed with this in mind. I ended up losing a couple of those screws, and used normal ones, got it in but took more encouragement. So I'd try and use a thin material, and screws which have the smallest head height you have floating around, just to minimize the awkward fitting (unless someone has more creative ideas on how to get them in - AFAIK you have to slide in from the front, and you can't access all the screw points once they're in the case).

Edit: although seeing modem7's picture, I'd suspect you could bolt up one side (the side that'll be in the middle), then slide it in, and attach the other side's mounts/screws while it's in the case. I've always done them straight up and down, so never thought of this.

There are lots of things you can use, but my preference off the top of my head would be those blank expansion brackets you snap out of computer cases before fitting a card - easy to drill and quite thin but should still be enough to keep the drive in place.

k2x4b524[
November 7th, 2013, 01:42 PM
why not just take a couple old slot covers, drill the through holes, using small screws isn't a problem, if you absolutely had to, you could use plastic case screws and snap off the heads, being plastic screws they would come out easy anyway of you needed to remove them. If it were a far more permanent solution, you could tack weld the whole thing together.....

framer
November 8th, 2013, 04:14 AM
Never underestimate what you can make with simple ERECTOR-set (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erector_Set) parts, I have made all kinds of brackets from a cheap (sub $10) "lot" of miscellaneous ERECTOR-set parts I got off ebay (you can find them at garage sales, flea markets, and goodwill sometimes too).

That is a great idea. I'm always fabing something and the erector set parts could make it a so much easier.

framer