PDA

View Full Version : New acquisition - Tweener

bettablue
November 6th, 2013, 02:05 PM
I have to love FreeCycle! :happy9:

Today, I received a Packard Bell Force mini tower via FreeCycle. What's amazing is that all of the computers original programming is still on the hard disc, and still works; however, there was no monitor, keyboard, mouse, and most importantly, the restore CD. The computer works great though.

:computer:

Computer info is at the bottom of this post.

There are a lot of other useless programs, like something called DAD, a desktop assistant program and some kind of communications and other software programs, that keep loading and running. There is even another communications software that loads up, and remains on the taskbar we want to uninstall, but the system just won't allow us to remove/uninstall/delete them. We even went into the registry to unload all of the programs under both HK_Local_Machine/run and HK_User/run, then cold booted the computer, leaving the power off for a full 30 seconds to allow the hard disc to spin down and the memory to completely clear itself of any residual or remaining stored information. We were still unable to remove the unwanted software. Of course, we still want to rid the computer of the programs, but I'm not too concerned about them if we can find a copy of the original restore CD. With the restore CD, we can reformat the hard disc, and choose which programs we want to load, and which ones we don't.

:medic:

So, does anyone have a copy of this restore CD? If so, how much do you want for the copy including shipping?

:bow2:

Next, how much, and what type of memory will this computer accept? Right now it has currently has 8 Megs installed. What is the largest hard disc drive this computer will accept? Is there anything else I should know about upgrading this computer?

:frankenstein:

Computer info:

Model force 482cdt
S/n n551003906 +
Arc cd 12 12520
P/N 890418

I'm sure there are other things I'm missing right now, but I'll deal with those when I can locate a PB resource page.

As usual - Many thanks.

~BB~

Stone
November 6th, 2013, 03:06 PM
It apparently comes with a 1.2GB drive so it should be able to take a much larger drive without any problem. The 8MB RAM is upgradeable to 72MB. The CPU is a Pentium 75.