PDA

View Full Version : 5150 for 335 $?!

Luke
August 9th, 2006, 11:48 AM
What's this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1981-IBM-5150-computer-system-WORKS_W0QQitemZ320014751571QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4193 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this 5150 special?
I tought, that price is lower.

carlsson
August 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Perhaps the nice physical condition and hard disk make a difference? Dongfeng should be interested, after his thorough 5150 cleaning recently.

atari2600a
August 9th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Probably the media trying to get their hands on the "perfect" machine.

mbbrutman
August 9th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Idle speculation doesn't answer the question.

It's not original - 5150s don't have hard drives. It might not even be that old - it would be very valuable if it were a first revision BIOS, but from the description and the picture, you can't tell which BIOS it is or even if the hard disk is functional.

We've all seen irrational buyers on eBay before. I wouldn't read any more into it. Unless it is something very special (which was not disclosed or can be readily discerned) it is probably just irrational bidding.

Terry Yager
August 9th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Probably the media trying to get their hands on the "perfect" machine.

Mebbe...there is that aniversary thing coming up.

I hafta agree with Mike tho. It appears as if the hard drive is tits-up, as it's booting into BASIC (based on the pix).

--T

dongfeng
August 9th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I had that in my watch list too. I don't understand what is so special about this 5150, it does not have the manuals with it, neither does the hard drive appear to work as it boots to Cassette BASIC. They keyboard has a lot of strange green stickers on it too. The BASIC is 1.10, so it's not an early one. That have been far better machines on eBay USA recently that went for a LOT less $$$.

A few months ago, a used but boxed 5150 (later model) with all manuals sold on UK eBay for 1,100.

dongfeng
August 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Perhaps the nice physical condition and hard disk make a difference? Dongfeng should be interested, after his thorough 5150 cleaning recently.

Indeed, it is very interesting to me! Especially my 5150 (although it is missing a keyboard) cost 10 ($20) plus a day of arm ache :)

I have been offered yet another 5150, from the original owner. It has CGA 5153 monitor, 10MB hard drive IBM X24E printer and all manuals. It is perfectly working, and very clean! For 45 ($85), is the price a little high?

bbcmicro
August 9th, 2006, 01:20 PM
A while ago I posted a link to an ebay auction for a 5150, or I think it was. Mint in boxes with all documentation. Went for over 1000GBP...I personally dont think a 5150, even in perfect condition is worth handing out all that money for.

Terry Yager
August 9th, 2006, 01:27 PM
A while ago I posted a link to an ebay auction for a 5150, or I think it was. Mint in boxes with all documentation. Went for over 1000GBP...I personally dont think a 5150, even in perfect condition is worth handing out all that money for.

Amen, bra...

--T

dongfeng
August 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I saved the auction details and photos for that 1,100 5150. Yeah, it did have all the boxes, manuals and was in good condition, but it was clearly used. It was the last BIOS revision model, with dual floppy drives and DOS 2.x. IIRC, the buyer was a collector in Germany.

Not long after that, a BRAND NEW 5150 appeared on eBay USA - and that sold for less than $150 :confused:

bbcmicro
August 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Bra? Dear God I hope that was a typo...:p

Terry Yager
August 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Bra? Dear God I hope that was a typo...:p

Nope! Dat's actually the way they pronounce 'bro' down south...(hey, bra...way'at?)...

--T

bbcmicro
August 9th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Aaaah, It all falls into place. For a minute I was worried. ;)

dongfeng
August 9th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Check the bidding history on that 5150!

United States, Russian Federation, Netherlands, Spain...

Are they serious???

atari2600a
August 9th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I still think it's the media. I mean search "IBM 5150", that's the only one! I think television stations worldwide are bidding on it to feature it on their station this Saturday.

dongfeng
August 9th, 2006, 02:11 PM
As if you could get a 5150 to Russia by Saturday :p

atari2600a
August 9th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Hey, it's possible! (Chuck Norris could do it...)

Terry Yager
August 9th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Then there's daBeatles: 'Ob-la-dee, ob-la da, Life goes on bra-a-a-a...
Brotha how the life goez on...'

--T

carlsson
August 9th, 2006, 03:46 PM
The auction ends on Sunday afternoon, Pacific time (which is the night to Monday over here) so anyone who wants it delivered by Saturday would need to put a very high bid and convince the seller to break eBay rules (?) and end auction early. On the other hand, if you're celebrating 25 years, what is a few days or a week more or less?

modem7
August 10th, 2006, 02:12 AM
it would be very valuable if it were a first revision BIOS, but from the description and the picture, you can't tell which BIOS it is ...
It's got a HDD. So at least we know it's not the first BIOS revision.

atari2600a
August 10th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Yes, but the machine's booting up into BASIC, so it could've been a failed-attempt to install one...

Luke
August 10th, 2006, 02:35 AM
A bit of offtopic:

How 5150 with 1st BIOS rev. were able to handle 3rd party controllers for 5 Meg ST-512 dirves?

NathanAllan
August 10th, 2006, 03:22 AM
I still think it's the media. I mean search "IBM 5150", that's the only one! I think television stations worldwide are bidding on it to feature it on their station this Saturday.

What's happening on Saturday? Am I missing something??

dongfeng
August 10th, 2006, 03:38 AM
25 years ago on August 12th 1981 - the IBM PC was launched

http://www.digibarn.com/stories/ibm-pc-25/index.html

bbcmicro
August 10th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Heey, I've played that Adventure text game in the video, its pretty good. I always got stuck after the snake though...

dongfeng
August 10th, 2006, 04:18 AM
If anyone can make me an Image file of Microsoft Adventure, I'd love to play it on my 5150! :D

modem7
August 10th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Yes, but the machine's booting up into BASIC, so it could've been a failed-attempt to install one...
True, but very unlikely. Not the sort of odds that would tempt me to part with $300 (+shipping) to find out whether or not the unit had the 'sought after' first BIOS.

bbcmicro
August 10th, 2006, 04:31 AM
You can download a version of adventure here (Not the original):
http://dosgames.com/g_adv.php

modem7
August 10th, 2006, 04:38 AM
How 5150 with 1st BIOS rev. were able to handle 3rd party controllers for 5 Meg ST-512 dirves?
Is that a known combination that works (I'm no PC expert)?

If so, I can't think of any mechanism that would allow a boot from the HDD. I mean, the BIOS knows nothing of HDD's and so code on the controller would need to be run during the POST. With the first BIOS's lack of support for BIOS extention code, how would that code get run?

Maybe a floppy was provided with controller. You boot from the floppy, which boots to DOS then it runs some code that configures DOS. You then get a C: prompt. It's not booting from the HDD, but you do have HDD access.

Luke
August 10th, 2006, 04:47 AM
I'll dig for text where I found info about this.

mbbrutman
August 10th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Is that a known combination that works (I'm no PC expert)?

If so, I can't think of any mechanism that would allow a boot from the HDD. I mean, the BIOS knows nothing of HDD's and so code on the controller would need to be run during the POST. With the first BIOS's lack of support for BIOS extention code, how would that code get run?

Maybe a floppy was provided with controller. You boot from the floppy, which boots to DOS then it runs some code that configures DOS. You then get a C: prompt. It's not booting from the HDD, but you do have HDD access.

You sure look like a PC expert to me.

Anyway, the first revision BIOS does not scan the ROM areas for BIOS extensions. So it will not find the code necessary to boot a hard drive, remote boot using a network card, initialize an EGA or VGA card, etc. They are truly primitive machines.

I have a second revision BIOS machine which has the same limitations. It took me forever to figure out why I couldn't get an EGA card on it until I learned about the BIOS revisions.

Luke
August 10th, 2006, 05:51 AM
But there were additional 5 meg drive for 5150 in 1981 and 1982.
They might be booted from diskette with loaded drive driver...

mbbrutman
August 10th, 2006, 06:30 AM
There may have been a 3rd party drive available for the PC in 1981, but I can't name any. It definitely wasn't offered by IBM. Similiar systems were offered for other machines, but they usually came with an alternative operating system to handle the hard disk.

You'd have to boot from diskette. The problem is that DOS 1.0 and 1.1 didn't have device driver support. The only way to talk to it would be to use a program to get and put the files.

(I'm pretty sure that DOS 1.0 and 1.1 didn't have device driver support. I'll look up the reference materials tonight.)

Mad-Mike
August 10th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I'm not totally sure how this works, but this is my guesses.....

Guess #1 - The BIOS looks at certain areas of memory for particular devices upon boot, one of these being the memory range where the usual ST-506/412 hard disk controller would be located, and thusly, would initialize it and allow it to take control on boot.......

Guess #2 - When the computer is turned on, the card runs an automatic execution from it's own BIOS, of which waits till the POST is over, then rears it's head afterward and takes over the boot sequence.....

Anyway, I remember Adventure myself, on my old Tandy 1000 SX. I remember getting rather far one night in high school whilst listening to a Police album. The real trip about Adventure is that you can change the text color using the function keys! And I'm not sure, but you can change the background too by using the shift key and the function key. At one point I worked it to create "mood text". I recall getting stuck around the third or fourth time Ohmegaman track got on the turntable.

Mad-Mike
August 10th, 2006, 08:43 PM
There may have been a 3rd party drive available for the PC in 1981, but I can't name any. It definitely wasn't offered by IBM. Similiar systems were offered for other machines, but they usually came with an alternative operating system to handle the hard disk.

You'd have to boot from diskette. The problem is that DOS 1.0 and 1.1 didn't have device driver support. The only way to talk to it would be to use a program to get and put the files.

(I'm pretty sure that DOS 1.0 and 1.1 didn't have device driver support. I'll look up the reference materials tonight.)

I recall a very early 64K 1982 IBM PC 5150 with a 5 MB fixed disk on E-bay about a year or so ago. I also recall the drive order was different, like the Hard disk was A:\ or something like that.

mbbrutman
August 11th, 2006, 06:07 AM
I recall a very early 64K 1982 IBM PC 5150 with a 5 MB fixed disk on E-bay about a year or so ago. I also recall the drive order was different, like the Hard disk was A:\ or something like that.

It's possible. But maybe not fully original.

IBM handed out BIOS upgrades for earlier PC owners. It was needed for early network adapters that did remote booting, hard drives, and anything else that might have had a ROM BIOS extension. So it is entirely possible that an early machine could have a hard drive, but it was either booting from floppies or the BIOS of the machine had been upgraded.

DOS 1.x didn't have device driver support, so the booting from floppies theory is highly unlikely unless they were running a different OS.

Luke
August 11th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Not original, but interesting ;).

LOL, compare price of that 5150 to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-IBM-5150-PC-16-64-And-Expansion-Unit-MORE_W0QQitemZ320010308401QQcmdZViewItem

Luke
August 12th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Here:

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/ibm-5150/index.html

In the middle there is pic descripted ' Floppy and 5MB hard drive (installed after delivery)'

dongfeng
August 12th, 2006, 01:51 AM
That looks like the second model of 5150 (5-screw case, revision B mainboard, silver PSU), so it would also have the 64-256kB mainboard with the third BIOS revision.

mbbrutman
August 12th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Here:

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/ibm-5150/index.html

In the middle there is pic descripted ' Floppy and 5MB hard drive (installed after delivery)'

The early BIOS revisions don't support adapter cards with BIOS extensions because they don't know how to look for BIOS extensions. So if an early IBM PC has a hard disk, it's probably with a later BIOS revision.

I don't understand how the machine at digibarn is relevant? It could be newer, it could be updated, it could be a P4 in there for all we know. And the text in the first paragraph clearly states that the 5MB drive is a 'a somewhat unusual aftermarket upgrade.'

dongfeng
August 12th, 2006, 09:47 AM
IBM also sold a kit that allowed you to change your early PC to a later BIOS.

mbbrutman
August 12th, 2006, 10:39 AM
IBM handed out BIOS upgrades for earlier PC owners. It was needed for early network adapters that did remote booting, hard drives, and anything else that might have had a ROM BIOS extension. So it is entirely possible that an early machine could have a hard drive, but it was either booting from floppies or the BIOS of the machine had been upgraded.

As noted yesterday, it was free, not for sale.

carlsson
August 12th, 2006, 12:16 PM
A side note to the original topic of this thread; the highest bid on this particular IBM PC has now rised from $335 to $455 with 25 hours to go.

Terry Yager
August 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM
A side note to the original topic of this thread; the highest bid on this particular IBM PC has now rised from $335 to $455 with 25 hours to go.

Note the bidder's feedback. The two most 'experienced' eBayers dropped out of the race well before it hit the $100.00 mark.

--T

carlsson
August 12th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Although one bidder with 61 positive feedbacks put in a $450 bid it seems? For what it is worth, people could have monitored eBay for years, know their stuff and typical value, but never participate in the bidding so they look like total newbies. The other three bidders registered their accounts in 2001, 2003 and 2004 but haven't used it much.

We'll see if there will be a last minute bid rally. If it already is considered much overbid, perhaps not much more will happen.

Terry Yager
August 12th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Judging from the questions asked, some of the interest is from areas outside the US, where the PC may not be as common as they are here.

--T

carlsson
August 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
There was a broken 5150 in the UK at the end of July. The monitor was tested OK, but the computer was silent and didn't power up the monitor. It ended at 9.99. Another one sells an untested 5150 spare parts machine with a broken, aftermarket PSU. Despite being relisted several times, it hasn't received a bid, starting at 0.99.

Sure, you can't compare broken units or spare parts with a fully working computer in nice condition, but let's assume you could've combined the two above to one working 5150 in good condition for 12 + domestic shipping. That is quite less than $450 + overseas shipping. Dongfeng also wrote earlier in this thread that he had been offered a complete system for equal to $85. It would be a private deal, maybe special friend's price, but I dunno if the seller could get 3-4 times as much if sold on e.g. eBay UK.

Luke
August 12th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Amazing... 455$...

dongfeng
August 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM
There was a broken 5150 in the UK at the end of July. The monitor was tested OK, but the computer was silent and didn't power up the monitor. It ended at 9.99. Another one sells an untested 5150 spare parts machine with a broken, aftermarket PSU. Despite being relisted several times, it hasn't received a bid, starting at 0.99.

The seller that had the 9.99 machine actually had two, the other one ended up as mine ;) But for 9.99, mine also worked...

The seller with the untested 5150 with broken PSU and broken disk drive tried to sell it about 6 months ago. In the other auction he also stated that the mainboard had a blown capacitor, but when I asked him about it this time he simply said it was untested. Basically the only useful thing on that machine is the case.

Terry Yager
August 12th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I'm still chalking it up to the inexperience of the bidders. Of course, as for 'doing thier homework', I did search eBay's ended auctions, and only came up with two of them being offered in the past 60 dayz, one of which died without a bid ($399.00), and the other of which was a 16-64K board, and came with an expansion chassis as well. Someone else doing the same search might conclude that they are 'rarer' than they actually are.

--T

carlsson
August 12th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Sorry for spamming, but now it is $510, from a bidder who in the last two hours managed to complete another auction and gain one feedback point. :) What are the odds this one will end on $600+ and result in a dozen people go through their garages to find half functioning IBM PCs auctioned with starting bids at $300 in the next month?

Micom 2000
August 12th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Damn, I would accept that for my whole pre-PS/2 collection. Still waiting for a Kaypro craze to peddle my Kaypros which was a much more interesting and sexy machine IMHO and with Uniform could run Dos.

Lawrence W. :RB, Hrc, INF.

Erik
August 12th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Sorry for spamming, but now it is $510, from a bidder who in the last two hours managed to complete another auction and gain one feedback point. :) What are the odds this one will end on $600+ and result in a dozen people go through their garages to find half functioning IBM PCs auctioned with starting bids at $300 in the next month?

That's not always a bad thing. Two Kenbak-1s popped up shortly after I bought mine on eBay. One may or may not have traded hands (the owner contacted me directly) but the other was an eBay sale as well.

Damn, I would accept that for my whole pre-PS/2 collection. Still waiting for a Kaypro craze to peddle my Kaypros which was a much more interesting and sexy machine IMHO and with Uniform could run Dos.

Hehe. I'm not sure I'd accept money for anything I didn't want to sell, but at these prices my systems are more valuable than I thought.

What do you think an original 16K system with all IBM parts (2 5.25" drives, IBM 256K expansion card, IBM Mono card, IBM CGA card, etc,) DOS 1.0, Guide to Operations 1.0, BASIC Manual 1.0 would go for? :D

dreddnott
August 12th, 2006, 09:57 PM
It's up to $530 with 15 hours left...17 bids!

There are seven different usernames listed in the Bid History...I think some of them might be sock puppets registered just to incite a bidding war...but who knows!

BTW, Terry: That $399.99 IBM 5150 was a buy-it-now, and since the price is listed in green, that means somebody actually laid down the $400 + S&H for that one. Looks like I need to prepare one or two 5150's for eBay pronto!

modem7
August 12th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Interesting. Mr. cleanwater123 is also currently winning the bidding on another 5150 on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-IBM-5150-PC-XT-PC-COMPUTER-20-MB-HD-FLOPPY_W0QQitemZ330016796709QQihZ014QQcategoryZ749 46QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

dreddnott
August 12th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Well, the front of the case says "Personal Computer", the back of the case says 5150...it has a severely upgraded PSU (150W) and a 20MB HDD...

What gets me is that he calls the PC an XT about a dozen times in the auction description...and calls the keyboard an ultra-rare XT keyboard to boot...

Heck, I'd bid on that one for the keyboard alone!

Micom 2000
August 12th, 2006, 11:45 PM

What do you think an original 16K system with all IBM parts (2 5.25" drives, IBM 256K expansion card, IBM Mono card, IBM CGA card, etc,) DOS 1.0, Guide to Operations 1.0, BASIC Manual 1.0 would go for? :D

Well my remaining PC other than my Inboard model is not the early 64k model, but I could likely come up with the 2 FH drives, likely a expansion card, and both video cards, even a FH black-face HD, and the rest including a still shrink wrapped Basic manual, not sure about the DOS 1.0 and including both relevent IBM monitors, not to mention a FH IBM1gig SCSI drive(never even tested it). But I do respect and fear the fickle tendencies of EBay. Sometimes even the extensiveness of your offerings is enough to scare off even the most intrepid bidders when they consider the actual cost of shipping.

carlsson
August 13th, 2006, 04:55 AM
I'm not sure I'd accept money for anything I didn't want to sell,
Someone was interested to buy three quite uncommon VIC-20 cartridges from me. I'm not particularly interested to sell, but quoted him an insane price ($70+ each), and he said yes.. maybe.. next month. We'll see what happens.

carlsson
August 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Oh well. That particular 5150 ended at a nice $770, i.e. more than twice what it was at when this thread begun.

Luke
August 13th, 2006, 11:36 PM
LOL!
Price is really high, look now how many 5150's are on ebay now! About 9!

This thread should be moved to General Discussion I think...

modem7
August 15th, 2006, 02:51 AM
IBM also sold a kit that allowed you to change your early PC to a later BIOS.

As noted yesterday, it was free, not for sale.
'Upgrading & Repairing PC's, Mueller, first edition' states that the kit cost $35.
However, with IBM having machines out in the workplace that couldn't use the newer cards (e.g. EGA cards), I can easily see IBM later releasing the kit for free.

modem7
August 15th, 2006, 02:59 AM
According to 'Upgrading & Repairing PCs (first edition)', a way to help identify 5150's with the later revisions of the BIOS is to look for a "B" in a circle stamped on the back of the chassis.
You can see an example in the following link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-IBM-5150-PC-XT-PC-COMPUTER-20-MB-HD-FLOPPY_W0QQitemZ330016796709QQihZ014QQcategoryZ749 46QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of course, lack of such a mark cannot be used an an indicator of the first BIOS release.

dongfeng
August 15th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Mine does not have the B on the back... but the BIOS is dated 27/10/1982. :)

Luke
August 15th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Prices are now OK I think.
This early (?) PC is going for 50$ is quite nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-IBM-PC-5150-first-sold-in-1981-runs-basic_W0QQitemZ130016849560QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1247 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

modem7
August 16th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Mine does not have the B on the back... but the BIOS is dated 27/10/1982. :)
Same with my 5150. That's okay. Note that I did not say that all machines with the later BIOS' have the "B". I said that the "B" helped identify such machines.

Perhaps a better way of puting it is: If the machine has the "B", you can be very certain that it has the later BIOS' (i.e. extrememely unlikely that someone would retrofit the earlier BIOS?)

dongfeng
August 16th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I did find that the early BIOS will boot into BASIC 1.00, whereas the newest has 1.10. Any ideas when they changed BASIC?

Luke
August 16th, 2006, 01:04 AM
No idead. But they could in '83 when they changed 5150s a bit.

modem7
August 16th, 2006, 01:28 AM
I did find that the early BIOS will boot into BASIC 1.00, whereas the newest has 1.10. Any ideas when they changed BASIC?
In the 5150, the POST/BIOS is in chip U29, and the BASIC is in chips U30 to U33. The 'Upgrading & Repairing PC's' book refers to IBM's BIOS Update Kit as being a single chip. Therefore we know the kit didn't upgrade the BASIC. None of my reference books contain information of the revisions of the BASIC. There might be something on the Internet.

the xt guy
August 16th, 2006, 11:34 AM
All this discussion of 5150 prices reminds me of an auction on Ebay about 2 years ago. Someone had in a warehouse, a stack of ten IBM 5150's (no keyboards or monitors) that had a starting bid of $9.99 for all ten. What was really going to cost was the shipping charges, they had $100 listed as the shipping charge for all ten units.

So, it would have been a total cost of 109.99 for ten IBM 5150's, ($11.00 per 5150). None of them appeared to be 'stripped', or had any rust or obvious damage, but none of them had been powered up or tested either.

I must confess that I was a bit tempted to bid on that auction, perhaps there was one or more of the early 16-64kb units in that stack (but I really didn't have space for ten 5150's.)

But I didn't bid, the auction closed with no bidders and I never saw them come up again on Ebay. They probably ended up in a landfill.

dreddnott
August 16th, 2006, 12:38 PM
If this happened recently, an electronics recycling company like trueCycle probably demanufactured them...

Luke
August 17th, 2006, 03:28 AM
That crap with non original monitor and 20 Mb hard disk gone for 100$.
Do I remember well, that in past 5150s with monitor and keyboard on ebay were around 40$?

modem7
August 18th, 2006, 03:54 PM
That crap with non original monitor and 20 Mb hard disk gone for 100$.
Bought by the same person who bought the $770 unit.

modem7
August 29th, 2006, 02:31 AM
And this 5150 passed in yesterday at $99.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&item=250020848776&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm convinced now that the 5150 frenzy is over.

carlsson
August 29th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Heh. Too bad if IBM PC was ultra-hot for exactly one week, and at the time other people locate their old machines, the prices are back to regular level. :)

Luke
September 1st, 2006, 01:06 AM
Wow!
Again XT on Polish auction service...

http://www.allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=124709915

Is XT286 worth more that normal 5160?

dongfeng
September 1st, 2006, 08:25 AM
I saw two XT/286 sold in UK eBay, one for 70, the other for 100. They are quite rare, buy it if you can!!!

Luke
September 1st, 2006, 08:58 AM
I preffer 088x machines.
This is nice too but... no cash :(

Luke
September 10th, 2006, 10:25 AM
XT/286 was sold for 102 $.
Too much for me, as my XT 8088 was for 64 $.

Bill_Loguidice
November 13th, 2006, 07:34 AM
After bidding on many other auctions for a 5150 to round out my collection, I finally scored what appears to be a really great package deal for a great price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280043551126&rd=1&rd=1

Of course, the proof is when it gets here, but the seller seems reasonable enough in discussions, so that's promising.

Considering what these were going for, I'd say interest in 5150's has definitely died down to reasonable levels again...

carlsson
November 13th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Which is the next computing landmark - big or small - that will celebrate? I'm not expecting battered up breadbox Commodore 64's to sell for insane amounts by the fall of next year (25 years), not even if they're boxed. On the other hand, who knows what a bit of media attention can do... :-)

Bill_Loguidice
November 13th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Which is the next computing landmark - big or small - that will celebrate? I'm not expecting battered up breadbox Commodore 64's to sell for insane amounts by the fall of next year (25 years), not even if they're boxed. On the other hand, who knows what a bit of media attention can do... :-)

I would think the original Macintosh would go up in value in a few years, but that's probably the last system that will get actual mainstream attention and a subsequent boost in collector's value. Mainstream media and the mainstream public simply don't care about Tandy, Atari or Commodore, among all the others, no matter how significant.

carlsson
November 13th, 2006, 07:58 AM
A bit related; on a Swedish auction site there was NOS Commodore 64C (the 1987 edition) ending yesterday. The highest bid was 3500 SEK, c:a $490 and that was below the seller's reservation price! It smells a bit like fake bidding, or the hopeful buyer has too much money on his hands.

The box was visibly teared, but the plastic bags around the computer were intact, so one should probably believe the seller. It came with a Datassette, but no software or other peripherals.

Bill_Loguidice
November 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Aargh! My 5150 setup came, but the shipper failed to pack everything properly. The most egregious damage was to the original IBM monochrome monitor, which imploded! I hate when shippers don't know how to pack monitors. We lose far too many irreplaceable monitors that way...

I'm not going to replace it unless I see one really cheap. I have enough monitors and don't need the 100% authentic setup I thought I was getting, but still...

Now to wrangle with the seller to get money back for part of it...

mikey99
November 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Bummer, I hate to read about stuff damaged in shipping.
I received a damaged 5154 EGA monitor awhile back but
fortunately was able to repair it.

Looking back at your earlier post with the ebay link, with all
the seller said about packaging, it should have been okay.
Packing a monitor is difficult, probably need a good 3-4 inches
of solid foam (not peanuts) enclosing all sides.
Without the original box/molded foam I guess its always risky.

Aargh! My 5150 setup came, but the shipper failed to pack everything properly. The most egregious damage was to the original IBM monochrome monitor, which imploded! I hate when shippers don't know how to pack monitors. We lose far too many irreplaceable monitors that way...

I'm not going to replace it unless I see one really cheap. I have enough monitors and don't need the 100% authentic setup I thought I was getting, but still...

Now to wrangle with the seller to get money back for part of it...

Bill_Loguidice
November 16th, 2006, 10:27 AM
How about mashed up single pages of newspaper in thin boxes?

mikey99
November 16th, 2006, 02:00 PM
I hear ya , the guy I got my EGA from used a bunch of small folded cardboard
pieces, and one of them exerted upwards pressure on the
size adjustment controls on the back of the monitor, cracked the main
circuit board , and also the circuit board that attaches to the back of the CRT
was in 3 pieces, floating around inside of the monitor :-) I was lucky to ever
get that working again. I wanted an EGA monitor bad....and with a little
super glue and some jumper wires across the broken lands, brought it
back from the dead.

On the bright side , looks like you got a bunch of great stuff there :-)
The Technical Reference manual is hard to find.

How about mashed up single pages of newspaper in thin boxes?

billdeg
November 16th, 2006, 08:21 PM
once I got a Tandy TRS 80 Model III in a box, no padding at all. The box was ripped. TO my amazement it worked! Still works to this day. Go figure.

Bill_Loguidice
November 17th, 2006, 07:56 AM
once I got a Tandy TRS 80 Model III in a box, no padding at all. The box was ripped. TO my amazement it worked! Still works to this day. Go figure.

I was sent a TRS-80 Model III in a box that normally stored toilet paper. The monitor was imploded on that as well (those units were particularly susceptible - Tandy even placed a stern warning on the box about it!). I salvaged parts from the III for a IV I got a few months later. I still have the half gutted III, as it has a good keyboard and presumably drives left in it.